Trivia time!

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I think there are only a couple of series played when Eddy 8 was king - he was basically in charge in 1936 (got the job in Jan, and gave it up in Dec).

So that leaves the Australian series in Sth Africa 1935/36 (not sure exactly which tests fit the dates - probably not all of them).
India(?) in England 1936 - I think.
England in Aus 1936/37 - probably only the first 2 tests.

I'm trying to work it out without cheating at Cricinfo. I can't think of an Aussie (pretty sure Hassett didn't debut until 1938). Don't know the Sith Efricans or the Indians (Maybe Vijay Merchant?), and the Poms had a habit of playing a few unknowns in their 'Non-ashes' series back then.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
OK - I looked him up (it actually wasn't that hard). Know the name - don't know much about the player other than he was a bit of a goer (like an earlier Srikkanth). Interesting that he had such a long career (or was called up later) - dashing openers are generally short-term prospects.

Thats a good little fun question.....................................

OK - I looked him up (it actually wasn't that hard). Know the name - don't know much about the player other than he was a bit of a goer (like an earlier Srikkanth). Interesting that he had such a long career (or was called up later) - dashing openers are generally short-term prospects.

SA or Indian? Because I've searched for him and none of it lines up. The only player I can find that played 35 or earlier and 53 or later is George Headley

Apr 18, 2011
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle

Yeeah when I saw it one of my old magazines I thought it would be a good question for this thread! You can post the answer if you like Wallaby!

Not a question, but didn't know where else to put this.

You find the strangest things reading through old records. I took a look at the NatWest Trophy between 1999-2003, a List A tournament in England that included not just the 18 major counties, but also all the minor counties (including one that doesn't play the minor county circuit), recreational cricket boards from the major counties (like A teams), and four other countries (Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands and Denmark).

Most of the names on the records don't mean much to me, but then you come across Phil Simmons scoring 82 for the Welsh Minor Counties against Buckinghamshire, Marcus North getting 69* for the Durham Cricket Board against Denmark, future English international Gareth Batty turning out for Shropshire, Sourav Ganguly demolishing Lincolnshire while playing for Lancashire, Nigel Llong playing for Kent and Richard Kettleborough for the Yorkshire Cricket Board, future South African international Zander de Bruyn playing for the Surrey Cricket Board and single-handedly beating Huntingdonshire, Darren Lehmann leading the charge against Bedfordshire, and the great Mark Higgs turning out for Suffolk.

Apr 18, 2011
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle
Inspired by the 4 day test thread. When was the last scheduled 6 day test in Australia and when was the last test in Australia that actually went 6 days? 7 days I suppose if you include the rest day

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Inspired by the 4 day test thread. When was the last scheduled 6 day test in Australia and when was the last test in Australia that actually went 6 days? 7 days I suppose if you include the rest day
Adelaide 1978 v India went 6 days. Was that the last one? I remember reading they made the last test in that series 6 days to ensure a result.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
IMG_20200403_013038.jpg

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
OK! Let's go!

2. Shane Warne
3, Brett Lee
4. Merv Hughes
5. Max Walker
6. Thommo! (If anyone doesn't get this - they're UnAustralian!).
7. Nathan Lyon????
12. Mitchell Starc ??

I recognise 8, 9 10, and 12 but can't put names to them. (Actually - 12 might be Starc).

Last edited:
1. Jasprit Bumrah
2. Shane Warne
3. Brett Lee
4. Mervyn Hughes
5. Mushtaq Ahmed
6. Jeff Thomson
7. James Anderson
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Peter Siddle (?)
10. Wasim Akram
11. (?)