Troy Chaplin retires after 215 AFL games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh yeah, the heady days of Port Adelaide / Richmond free agent and trading rivalry. It peaked with us getting Chaplin and you guys poaching Matty White. Probably a nill-all draw.

Not that it counts for much, but I think we won - White was excellent in 2014, injured for the most part thereafter. Richmond probably well justified in only wanting to give him a two year deal at the time though.

Not that it counts for much, but I think we won - White was excellent in 2014, injured for the most part thereafter. Richmond probably well justified in only wanting to give him a two year deal at the time though.

Good player when fit although it took forever for him to find any sort of consistency at Richmond. Had one really good year for us and then wanted more cash than what we were prepared to offer and the port deal too good to pass up. Port getting the same output he gave the Tiges IMO. Nothing against him leaving, every right to get the best deal he could.

Hard for me to forget Chappy getting tackled by Nahas in the goal square in the EF against north. Probably irrational and colours my view of his time at Richmond, but FMD that still burns me.

Good player when fit although it took forever for him to find any sort of consistency at Richmond. Had one really good year for us and then wanted more cash than what we were prepared to offer and the port deal too good to pass up. Port getting the same output he gave the Tiges IMO. Nothing against him leaving, every right to get the best deal he could.

Hard for me to forget Chappy getting tackled by Nahas in the goal square in the EF against north. Probably irrational and colours my view of his time at Richmond, but FMD that still burns me.
Good solid footballer. Not great but always going to push his way into the side due to his strength and nous and ability to defend well. He played more than 200 games which is significantly more than the majority of AFL players.

We also got Schulz while you got Moore and Thomas. We win.

None of these players contributed to ultimate success so while the inclusion of Schulz means you won the trade war, it means pretty little for the teams at the end of the day - hardly big names we are talking here.

Did like Schulz as a player though.
Added consistency to his game at Port and was a good player for you.
Matt White was one I also hoped to keep. Not because of his ability, but because of his endeavour and team first attitude. You knew what you were going to get from him - was always an 18-22 player but you need those.

Shame injuries stopped him from doing this after his first year with Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? White was essentially a wingman, Chaplin a key defender, but Chaplin got more disposals per game at Richmond than White did at Port.

Even White's numbers in his 'excellent' 2014 were lower than Chaplins averages in yellow and black.

I know stats are never the be-all and end-all, but a bloody quick mid/high forward like Matty White being out-possessed by a clunking CHB doesn't cry 'win' to me.

I would personally like to thank Troy as he was vital in setting up the now culture at the club. Without his contribution, we wouldn't be premiers now. He left Port as they were not professional enough and he rated the Tigers better. History shows him to be correct. So while the tigers got down and dirty, here's where Port's heads are at. They have achieved nothing but think they are rockstars.

Glad to hear it.

Yeah the Richmond connection with Nahas and all too. Was a s**t day all around.

Guess I’ll just cry myself to sleep watching my Richmond Victory Pack DVD set. What will you be doing? Lol.

If I remember what was reported correctly, what White and his management wanted out of Richmond was a third year (happy with the salary offered) which Richmond weren't quite prepared to budge on given his injury history and being a middle of the range player on the list (despite a good 2013). Port saw a bit of a stalemate developing and jumped in offering the third year on the same/similar dough. Given we hardly saw Whitey on the park for more than a couple of weeks at a time in 2016 and '17 in hindsight would have to say the Tigers were right in being hesitant to offering that third year at the same coin.

If I remember what was reported correctly, what White and his management wanted out of Richmond was a third year (happy with the salary offered) which Richmond weren't quite prepared to budge on given his injury history and being a middle of the range player on the list (despite a good 2013). Port saw a bit of a stalemate developing and jumped in offering the third year on the same/similar dough. Given we hardly saw Whitey on the park for more than a couple of weeks at a time in 2016 and '17 in hindsight would have to say the Tigers were right in being hesitant to offering that third year at the same coin.

Yeah you could be right on the third year I can quite remember. Was Richmond through and through came from a Richmond supporting family. If he had have got that continuity/consistency right definitely had the tools and was great to watch in full flight. Worth the risk? Hard to say but did suit that running game style port had when they got him in.

Chaplin was a very smart player (cue joke - 'Yes, he managed to get paid as an AFL Footballer' etc). I thought that he was very good at setting up the defence - particularly with Rance. I think Rance learned a lot with Chaplin in the side, and Rance's huge improvement happened around that time. We played defence better with him in the side.

I'm not claiming 'Chaplin made Rance great' - but he was significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back