really we should of selected Dizzie before he went to Zimbabwe - we had that idiotic no one was allowed to be apart of CA for playing or had played for that rebel IPL comp rubbish and refuse to look at him even though Dizzie was ready and willing if CA came callingMcGrath and Warne please. Or if they're unavailable, either Wasim Akram or Venkatesh Prasad.
Things that make you go "Hmmmmm...."Without reading through the thread Cooley must be the most overrated coach ever. Absolutely no signs of reverse swing from Australia from the 3 balls we have used in the Sydney test yet England get it to reverse before the 40 over mark.
So attack Cooley on the basis of 1 session.Guess who is back coaching our bowlers? My god CA stupid. Very short memories here.
For those wondering who he is, the story goes as such...
England won an ashes in in 2005. Cooley coached their bowling and a part of their win was their ability to achieve reverse swing. We became obsessed with their bowling coach and grabbed him. From then on our bowling went to hell. Bowling way way to short and often too wide. Not only that, guys who used to bowl with nice seam position and pace like Brett Lee lost their ability to do so.
This guy came in and destroyed every bowler he touched. Swing bowlers lost their swing, quicks lost a yard and everyone bowled too short. We suffered series after series where we couldn't take wickets.
Eventually some bright spark must have decided a change of bowling coach was needed and Craig McDermott came in to fix things and fix things he did. Immediately we saw bowlers bowling full, attacking the stumps and using the bounder really well. We saw Mitch Johnson's career revived and Starc and Hazlewood come on. Even Siddle found some form with a better coach.
That to me should have been the end of Cooley, he should have been unemployable after this. Guy is a destroyer of bowlers.
What we can expect from our bowlers with him in charge is exactly what we have seen from the first session of this test.
- Bowling too short. This is Cooley's biggest thing. He's an idiot who doesn't know his stuff. Means less edges, no chance of LBW or bowled and the bouncer being ineffective.
- Less seam and virtually no swing. Bowling that length seam is useless and you won't swing it.
- Losses and draws. We're going to give away plenty of runs. Opposition runs might come slow but they will come because we won't be getting them out.
- Boring cricket. Bowlers bowling short, not taking wickets and batsmen leaving and scoring mostly off defensive shots.
- Careers ruined. When bowlers stop taking wickets they will get dropped. I'm tipping Starc will be the first to go and then Hazlewood. Those coming in will be promptly miscoached.
- Heavy reliance on Lyon. Don't be surprised if there is talk about his future. I don't think his bowling will change but without the quicks taking wickets and backing up the spinner it's going to be tough for him.
Hate to say it but while he is there and Pakistan are competent it's going to be a long boring summer of bad cricket.
I couldn't believe we were bowling like this until I saw who was coaching. Can't believe he's got a job like this, I thought we figured out ages ago that he's a really poor and destructive coach.
CA are completely clueless, we're going to need to find another bowling coach quick before the rot sets in again. Anyone got McDermott's number?
As I said in my post, based on years of really poor bowling the last time he was in charge then seeing the same old problems I saw in that first session.So attack Cooley on the basis of 1 session.
I wonder if anyone spoke to the bowlers after that session.
Ideal opportunity to get a turn around in performance with a bit of guidance.
Perhaps we did a trade and swapped bowling coaches with Pakistan ay lunch on day 1.