Traded Troy Menzel [traded to Adelaide for #28 and Sam Kerridge]

Remove this Banner Ad

It is effectively how it has turned out.

You traded Gilham, 27, 63 for Anderson, 28, 66

Then traded Anderson, 38, 40 for 15, 55

So it's essentially Giham, 27, 63 (2012) 38, 40 (2015) for 28 (Tim O'Brien), 66 (Kaiden Brand) (2012), 15, 55

So that's one first rounder gained for Gilham, admittedly a good deal though it involved giving up several second rounders as well.

Not sure how you come out with two first rounders.

You traded Gilham, 27, 63 for Anderson, 28, 66

Which is basically Gilham for Anderson.

Then traded Anderson, 38, 40 for 15, 55

Amounts to a third round pick downgrade. Swapping 38 and 40 for 55.

So that's one first rounder gained for Gilham, admittedly a good deal though it involved giving up several second rounders as well.

No it didn't, we traded a second rounder for an almost identical pick (27 for 28), so that just cancels out. Technically it's trading out a second rounder, but it's really just a pick swap.

So it's two first rounders for Gilham, albeit with a third round pick downgrade which I didn't really think was worth discussing in this draft.

Which is basically Gilham for Anderson.

Amounts to a third round pick downgrade. Swapping 38 and 40 for 55.

No it didn't, we traded a second rounder for an almost identical pick (27 for 28), so that just cancels out. Technically it's trading out a second rounder, but it's really just a pick swap.

So it's two first rounders for Gilham, albeit with a third round pick downgrade which I didn't really think was worth discussing in this draft.

Fair enough to cut all the extraneous stuff but that's still just the one first rounder, pick 15. I don't see where you're getting two first rounders from.

Disagree

He is 21, you don't burn away 3rd year 1st rounders like that, particularly for another sides surplus tagger and a 2nd rounder. He's not a lazy 26-27yo "cream" type like a Shaun Higgins was for etc at the Dogs during their rebuild

If he was showing the same poor work ethic as a 23-24-25yo yeah fine move him on, Yarran for etc was a good move imo, but Carlton should've been firm with Menzel and told him to pull his finger out. We told Lachie Hunter, an attacking player who is the same age as Menzel, who displayed similar poor onfield traits previously to pull his finger out and he duly responded the last 2 months of our season.

Adelaide wins this trade big-time as far as I'm concerned
Dude, Kerridge was never surplus to us. On a number of times he was first 22 and then had an injury which dropped him back down the order. Make no bones about it, if he didnt have the injuries he did at the times he did he would be in our side every week.
Sometimes you need a break and new environment.
When Andy Mac was interviewed about it on AA they made the joke about the Blues trading out all their goal kickers to which he quickly replied that Kerridge averages as many goals a game as Menzel.
The kid can play. His body will be the only issue.

What makes you say that Menzel has a pea heart?

Btw, I think this trade will be a win-win.

I rate kerridge more than the average crows supporter. Should have played more this year as better than Wright, vb & Mackay. Unfortunately, injuries didn't help after leading the way pre-season. Imo, will be a consistent performer with Carlton.
Yeah pea heart may be a bit harsh, but I imagine we saw him probably not being around for the long haul of a rebuild and weren't pleased with some of his efforts this year. He's super naturally talented but certainly more cream than cake, so struggling in a team getting thrashed on top of getting over his injuries, would have put him under a fair bit of pressure playing for us.

New environment and less overall pressure at the Crows should, in theory, see him develop a lot better. I think it's mostly a win-win too.

Early days, but really couldn't be happier with Kedge so far at Carlton, hasn't put a foot wrong and has probably exceeded my expectations.

Hopefully Menzel can get himself fit and be a decent player for the Crows, it now looks like it could be a genuine win/win trade..

Confident we'll win this trade. Menzels body just won't stand up to the physicality of AFL footy. He won't make it as a midfielder as the big bodies these days will destroy him. He will end up a handy medium forward for the Crows but that's it really I think.

Kerridge has surprised me, his ceiling is a lot higher than I initially thought.

We haven't done it yet. We haven't said we are doing it or looking at it.

Let's forego the 'when will the Blues learn' bit until we actually hear from the Blues instead of the rumour mill.

However, it is fair to say that 3 players were singled out for lack of on field standards in 2015, 1 has gone, 1 is involved in a trading saga, the other just came up in the rumour mill.

You've done it now.

After 0 games?

Pop the champagne

So these young guys have to play for this statement to be challenged?

When will the blues learn ? The lose two small forwards and cant kick goals, and what do they think of doing ? Lose another small forward with major upside and X factor, Troy is just so bloody clean when he has the footy. If they trade him for a midfielder who cant even crack into the crows starting 22, they have lost it.

How convenient that people can say what they want but there can be no rebuttal until the players we picked up have proven themselves.

People also have to remember that Menzel was not applying himself with Carlton. Even if he comes right at Adelaide, there is no way to say he would have produced that at Carlton.

Nah, we have people there who now know what sort of team they want to be and it doesn't correspond with any of the half baked ill informed opinions of BigFooty posters.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kerridge looks pretty solid when the intensity is low in the NAB Challenge. He will find it tougher when the real thing starts. Still rate the lad, but he's got about a tenth of the talent of Menz.

Exaggeration much!

Wasn't Sam's fault he wasn't given the opportunities his talent or form deserved, he's twice the footballer David Mackay is but didn't have the "gold pass" David had.

Kerridge looks pretty solid when the intensity is low in the NAB Challenge. He will find it tougher when the real thing starts. Still rate the lad, but he's got about a tenth of the talent of Menz.

That post is about a tenth as astute as others on BigFooty.

Do you see how this made up figure thing works?

How do you rate them both on an intensity scale? Considering we effectively got Kerridge, Phillips, Lamb, Plowman and Sumner for Menzel, we're not too bothered. Two will probably play round 1, Lamb is a chance to get games and Plowman is the one we are looking forward to most.

There are no tears over this calculated risk, as much as people want there to be.

Kerridge has been very impressive so far.
In fairness IMO his taken his game up level due to his fitness levels being off the charts.
The guy has turned him self into a running machine.
Beast of a player too listed @188cm 86kg

Kerridge was always a good player. Dominated in the SANFL when he first came over, played well for the Crows when he came in.
The only issue he ever had was his body breaking down.
This is right. Adelaide fans have always been pretty good since the start about this trade. A lot were bitterly disappointed to lose him and always said he would be a good player if he got his body right.

Meanwhile fans of neither side are looking to stick the boots in whenever possible. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still think this is a win-win. But when Adelaide drafted Milera (and they had to, he's a gun) I wonder if that changed their opinion on Menzel. Eventually Milera will move in to the middle and there always be a spot for Menzel at his best, but the need for him isn't as high. Overall though I think Adelaide had to try something to get more class through the door. The list is going nowhere without it.

I'm a fan of it for Carlton as well because the worse thing they could do was cook Cripps and Mark Murphy through lack of help, losing all midfield competency and then really struggle to compete and develop kids in a good environment. Carlton's mistakes of the past letting go of their forward line can't really impact future decisions.

I still think this is a win-win. But when Adelaide drafted Milera (and they had to, he's a gun) I wonder if that changed their opinion on Menzel. Eventually Milera will move in to the middle and there always be a spot for Menzel at his best, but the need for him isn't as high. Overall though I think Adelaide had to try something to get more class through the door. The list is going nowhere without it.

I'm a fan of it for Carlton as well because the worse thing they could do was cook Cripps and Mark Murphy through lack of help, losing all midfield competency and then really struggle to compete and develop kids in a good environment. Carlton's mistakes of the past letting go of their forward line can't really impact future decisions.

I see the trade as a win / win, Kerridge is a capable AFL footballer not in Gibbs or Murphy status but similar to that of a Creazzo or Simpson that will be reliable and a good choice, Menzel potentially has the ability to dominate but with risk attached. I am happy with the trade due to the punt that could pay off, but also may fail.

I see the trade as a win / win, Kerridge is a capable AFL footballer not in Gibbs or Murphy status but similar to that of a Creazzo or Simpson that will be reliable and a good choice, Menzel potentially has the ability to dominate but with risk attached. I am happy with the trade due to the punt that could pay off, but also may fail.

Classic win/win as Menzel was really served best being closer to his family.

Very proud of Adelaide and Brisbane for that matter, for the way they handled the trades on Menzel & Bell respectively.

Well done to all concerned.

Kerridge numbers Vs Swans.
26 possession 15 kicks 11 contested @ 80% 6 marks 7 clearances 3 goals 75% TOG
Been really impressed with Kerridge this pre season.
Could be a really important piece of our midfield.

Exaggeration much!

Wasn't Sam's fault he wasn't given the opportunities his talent or form deserved, he's twice the footballer David Mackay is but didn't have the "gold pass" David had.

I agree, he should have gotten more opportunities at the Crows, and Mackay should've gotten less. But a couple of decent pre-season matches does not make you a star, or justify this incredibly silly trade. Patrick Karnezis and Kane Lucas dominated the 2013 NAB Cup.

That post is about a tenth as astute as others on BigFooty.

Do you see how this made up figure thing works?

How do you rate them both on an intensity scale? Considering we effectively got Kerridge, Phillips, Lamb, Plowman and Sumner for Menzel, we're not too bothered. Two will probably play round 1, Lamb is a chance to get games and Plowman is the one we are looking forward to most.

There are no tears over this calculated risk, as much as people want there to be.

I'm not comparing Menzel and Kerridge's ability to play in intensity, I'm comparing their talent. What I'm saying about intensity is that real football is more intense than the NAB Challenge and Kerridge's inability to use the ball well will become significantly more apparent when he plays in the real thing. So maybe try actually reading my posts before complaining about a lack of astuteness? By all means, congratulations on your collection of five magic beans for the price of one actually good player.

So he will play good against low intensity teams such as North?

Menzel on track to kick 60 against north

Let me know when either of you has something interesting to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back