Opinion Troy Menzel - Where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst his form has been disappointing I'm willing to cut him some slack because it must be a nightmare playing as a forward when you've got four or five other forwards as preferred targets ahead of you.

And the ball is being pumped in haphazardly because our mids are barely able to breath at the contest let alone get the ball clear of the pressure and deliver with any intent.

I put a lot of that down to feeling like he has to play like Toby Greene to not get dropped.

like you say, every touch has to count and he's surely feeling that pressure too. He can obviously kick goals from 30m out directly in front, he can obviously hit 20m passes, he just didn't manage it on the weekend.

was one of only two or three flying the flag for effort though, I'll be seriously disappointed if he gets dropped ahead of at least 5 others.
Yeah I'm NOT in the camp that he lacks opportunity at our club , just think he hasn't taken it when presented

Couldn't possibly have picked him after his GC game and yet 2 weeks later he's given another opportunity so I think the selectors have treated him well

He's basically played one ok game all season and that was in round 1 . It was a pass mark type of game not a massive tick

Unlucky that he was replaced the next week ? Maybe but it was always going to be Knight or him and selectors made the right call

His chances will run out and he needs to make his possessions count because he doesn't get many so they need to be influential

Honestly I would be happy to trial Menzel off half back aswell. Could definitely make a name for himself there if need be.

how would menzel look in laird's position on hbf, against melbourne he got smashed in a marking contest got up real sore and then few seconds on laid really hard tackle, can't call him soft, could get into the game more, plus benefit of laird in middle?? or taking kelly's spot, with kelly going in the middle to tag the crap out of oppositions best mid especially with opposition tagging sloane......
I don't mind it. Adds a lot of verstaility.

Yeah I'm NOT in the camp that he lacks opportunity at our club , just think he hasn't taken it when presented

Couldn't possibly have picked him after his GC game and yet 2 weeks later he's given another opportunity so I think the selectors have treated him well

He's basically played one ok game all season and that was in round 1 . It was a pass mark type of game not a massive tick

Unlucky that he was replaced the next week ? Maybe but it was always going to be Knight or him and selectors made the right call

His chances will run out and he needs to make his possessions count because he doesn't get many so they need to be influential
At least his intent and ability to pressure opponent has been there in all games unlike Jenkins . I feel he needs one game or bit of play where he gets to show his ability and he will then go from strength to strength . Seems to be a confidence player and appears nervous at the moment .

If you average such a low possession count per game you need to make your touches count

Unfortunately he didn't do that despite giving max effort

What concerns me is his effort was max but he was still no good overall and he has problems with consistent effort
You can't have max effort on one hand and. Then say he was inconsistent . He isn't showing max effort at the miment but at least he has shown that he can attack a contest and is not actively and embarrassing avoiding them like Jenkins

At least his intent and ability to pressure opponent has been there in all games unlike Jenkins . I feel he needs one game or bit of play where he gets to show his ability and he will then go from strength to strength . Seems to be a confidence player and appears nervous at the moment .
Agree - if drop Jenkins until he shows he's back to a minimum level of competitiveness

But we are talking about Menzel

Seems people are willing to cut Menzel more slack than others . That will change if he doesn't perform soon

I'd like to see him dominate an SANFL game one day , if he's that talented can't see why he can't

Really believe he will become a permanent fixture of our 22 it's just not happening straight away in his first year after developing a defensive side to his game. Once that gels with his natural attacking side, game on. I won't judge too harshly until end of year when it counts the most and see his tackle count reflect his work defensively.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geez I wish we held some other players to such high standards as this

Seems people are willing to cut Menzel more slack than others . That will change if he doesn't perform soon

I'd like to see him dominate an SANFL game one day , if he's that talented can't see why he can't
ha! Mackay has had enough slack to lasso the moon, we can surely afford to give Menzel three games in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think any player could have 4 possessions in a game in a nice win playing forward and never look like it and stay on the side your having a laugh

I agree on Mackay and also Jenkins - drop them . Bring Jenkins back when he proves he wants to compete

But this is the Menzel thread

He's basically played one ok game all season and that was in round 1 . It was a pass m ark type of game not a massive tick

Obviously jury still out on Menzel as a regular AFL 22 player .
But disagree with your statement that only played 1 decent game as although made some mistakes in last game i still rated him in our top 10 players for the 3 qtrs played.
And at his age and lack of games has a real future if can apply talent has as now as shown on sat. night one of few who really was aggressive at ball and player with ball. Surely offers a lot more than Mackay (how long keep waiting) and Kelly (no AFL ability )and much as was hoping for positives then how much has Hampton done as mid. We are all waiting for Milera to put in top game but not really happened and has absolutely no defence pressure ability.
But he like B Crouch is another that have talent or X factor so need to be patient with.
And as much as all love Otten story where does he fit as we were destroyed with lack of pace up forward on Sat.
Really want to see Greenwood in this week and maybe Hampton to defence.

If you think any player could have 4 possessions in a game in a nice win playing forward and never look like it and stay on the side your having a laugh

I agree on Mackay and also Jenkins - drop them . Bring Jenkins back when he proves he wants to compete

But this is the Menzel thread
You said he needs to make every possession count because he doesn't get many otherwise should get dropped.

Plenty of players who have had long careers with us would've struggled if that standard was applied in their first 3 or 4 games with us.

Ludicrous standard.

Should get a decent run at it to prove himself like Hampton has, without the sword of Damocles hanging over his head

Whilst his form has been disappointing I'm willing to cut him some slack because it must be a nightmare playing as a forward when you've got four or five other forwards as preferred targets ahead of you.
And over the last 2 weeks... it's not like the ball has been in our forward line.

This is Troy Menzel thread !
yeah, and I'm talking about affording him the same opportunities countless others have been given in the past.
Have your little Menzel fantasies . I'm happy for him to keep playing to find out for sure

But he won't make it , hasn't got the mentality for it
seemed to be in the top 5 for us on the ground in terms of effort last week? Everyone else was ready to hit the showers at half time.

Personally wouldn't mind Harrison Wigg getting an opportunity- now there's a guy that consistently makes the sanfl best players including best player in 2 of his last 3 games ... but no one calling for him to get a 'fair go'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back