Rumour Troy Menzel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
would love to see troy menzel running around in the blue adn white hoops some time... but will be hot property even if he does want to leave the blues. Has shown immense talent so far this season.
We all know he is a wasted talent at Carlton....

My idea of throwing a hat in the ring is making a phone call to Boak's manager from the comfort of my office at the Cattery and leaving it at that. ;)
+1
image.png

View attachment 68223

How does this look guys?
Looks like a perfect match :thumbsu:.

Can't believe Troy is the equal highest goal kicker at the Blues so far this season. Great effort considering he's started as sub on a few occasions. Guess it says a bit about the state of their list really. Oh, he'd slot beautifully into our forward line (dreaming I know).

(manboob , didn't think I'd ever say this, but think I miss your "apricots" avatar ;):D)

This thread reminds me of the Gibbs thread that was on the Adelaide board (albeit they got to 60 something pages before they realised it was a lost cause), I'm confident it won't take nearly half of that for the same to happen with Troy.

Jokes aside I'd actually cry if we lost Troy.
So would I for you guys.
He is going to be good.

It's not like he's in Perth and wants to go home to geelong. Draft picks should stick I think.

At least for 5 years anyway.

I don't understand how this can be a rumour. What do you propose you would offer Carlton for him to be able to get to you guys? Your first draft pick will be around #15 and you would have to give up that plus some serious talent for the club to even consider that. Either that, or you manage a way to get him in the PSD at pick #15 and bypass the myriad of other clubs who could put up whatever you offer in a heart beat. You'd have to be hoping for a Luke Ball to Collingwood situation. Simply won't happen.

I can respect the fact you are wanting a working Menzel and you have had to wait a long time for Daniel. He will come good. You guys will be alright. You can't have ours though.

I don't understand how this can be a rumour. What do you propose you would offer Carlton for him to be able to get to you guys? Your first draft pick will be around #15 and you would have to give up that plus some serious talent for the club to even consider that. Either that, or you manage a way to get him in the PSD at pick #15 and bypass the myriad of other clubs who could put up whatever you offer in a heart beat. You'd have to be hoping for a Luke Ball to Collingwood situation. Simply won't happen.

I can respect the fact you are wanting a working Menzel and you have had to wait a long time for Daniel. He will come good. You guys will be alright. You can't have ours though.

As usual, the longer the wait till he pens the more the intrigue. He was pick 11 so 15 is not without reason. however, you must give to get and bit parts would not do it but at the same time, Tenzel aint Dangerfield. He did have a 2 posse game a few weeks ago. Talented yes but not gold.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As usual, the longer the wait till he pens the more the intrigue. He was pick 11 so 15 is not without reason. however, you must give to get and bit parts would not do it but at the same time, Tenzel aint Dangerfield. He did have a 2 posse game a few weeks ago. Talented yes but not gold.

Go Catters
In this instance Daz the draft position might be more a reflection of people being uncertain about his knee than his ability.

Menzel without the LARS op (and his brother's history) might have been a few places higher.

In this instance Daz the draft position might be more a reflection of people being uncertain about his knee than his ability.

Menzel without the LARS op (and his brother's history) might have been a few places higher.
Yep. He could easily have gone top 5.
But I don't see what that has to do with it. It's like Daz is suggesting we should get pick 20 for Brown on that rationale.

Fact is, so far, Troy has shown he was worth his pick.

Your genius recruiter Stephen Wells said he would've taken Troy will pick 1. So you're right.

But doesn't matter. Menz is staying

Yep. He could easily have gone top 5.
But I don't see what that has to do with it. It's like Daz is suggesting we should get pick 20 for Brown on that rationale.

Fact is, so far, Troy has shown he was worth his pick.
That is a rationale I could get behind. :D

The only way he comes to Geelong is if he demands a move to Geelong only. It would only be because he wants to play with his brother. There's simply no way he comes to us in any other situation because there's no way we'd offer what Carlton would consider to be a fair trade and it's likely another club would outbid us.

The question in that situation isn't what would we offer that Carlton would accept in an open market, it's what would we need to offer for Carlton to accept rather than telling him to take his luck in the PSD. If he does make that decision and is serious about getting out of Carlton then frankly it would be dumb to let him walk in the PSD if pick 15 is sitting on the table.

But all this is pretty pointless. The chance of him actually deciding it's only Geelong he wants to go to would be verging on zero.

The only way he comes to Geelong is if he demands a move to Geelong only. It would only be because he wants to play with his brother. There's simply no way he comes to us in any other situation because there's no way we'd offer what Carlton would consider to be a fair trade and it's likely another club would outbid us.

The question in that situation isn't what would we offer that Carlton would accept in an open market, it's what would we need to offer for Carlton to accept rather than telling him to take his luck in the PSD. If he does make that decision and is serious about getting out of Carlton then frankly it would be dumb to let him walk in the PSD if pick 15 is sitting on the table.

But all this is pretty pointless. The chance of him actually deciding it's only Geelong he wants to go to would be verging on zero.
Spot on Footy Smarts , Only way he'll end up at the cats, but like you said, chances are slim to none.

I wouldn't be reading too much into the "dodgy family knee" issue. They are two VERY different injuries. Dan seems to be a lateral movement issue, so he probably has some structural issues with his knees, while Troy's was an impact injury which could happen to anyone.

As for draft picks, the ONLY reason why he slipped through to #11 (which Carlton are eternally grateful for) was the LARS reconstruction. IIRC our head recruiter at the time acknowledged that, with the limited life spans of LARS ligaments, he was recruited with the knowledge/understanding that a later knee reconstruction would be on the cards. But when you have a player of Menzel's talent (many would have taking him in the first couple of picks (some as high as 1 or 2) if it wasn't for the knee) then using #11 was a BARGAIN in anyone's books.

Honestly Geelong would not have anything which they would be willing to part with which would satisfy Carlton. If the s**t hit the fan and Menzel threatened to walk into the PSD then I couldn't see him getting past Carlton's pick anyway, who would (IMO at least) redraft him and hope to change his mind about staying at the club at the end of the year. Outside of that I couldn't see him getting to Geelong in either the ND or the PSD (if Carlton didn't take him there) as I am sure some club out there would jump at the chance of having a player of his talent, with two years of exposed form, on their list with a selection before Geelong's pick (esp if they play deep into the finals series again)

If a player wants to go to a certain team and only that team then 99 percent of the time he ends up there. Other teams won't touch him if that was the case

I would be shattered if he left Carlton, he along with Levi have been two of our few shining lights this season, we could build something around those two, would be shattering for the whole club if he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back