mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
The kid should never be made to play for our VFL side again. Quite demoralising for him, watching the ball butchered into our forward line for the Northern Blues.

Dirk

That's just a tad over the top don't you think? He's a first year player coming off a limited preseason... He'll get plenty of opportunities but I'd be cautious with giving him too much exposure at AFL level. Ease him into things.

Feb 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That's just a tad over the top don't you think? He's a first year player coming off a limited preseason... He'll get plenty of opportunities but I'd be cautious with giving him too much exposure at AFL level. Ease him into things.
You obviously have not seen what the VFL system has done to the development of our young players. Our forward 50 entries are as bad as they can get. Feel sorry for our forwards having their leads ignored by players . Leaving him in the VFL will stunt his development. Leave him in the forward line sit back and enjoy.
Dirk

Round 10 vs GWS.

Only 12 possessions in Troy's first full game of football but some of the class was on show.

One terrific snap for a goal. A clever pick-up and lightning hand-off to a running player.
One very good contested mark and clever use of the body to ease out his opponent and handball off to Kreuzer running into goal.

I doubt anyone at the game wouldn't have been thrilled for what was on show.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Menzel relishes AFL intensity

Excitement and a few butterflies gripped Troy Menzel as he ran out for his first full game for Carlton on Saturday.
Menzel picked up 12 disposals and kicked two goals in the 94-point win over Greater Western Sydney at Etihad Stadium.

The Blues first round draft pick had previously made his debut in round 8 against Port Adelaide, playing the final quarter after starting in the substitute's green vest.
Menzel says there was an extra level of excitement and intensity being on the ground from the opening bounce, particularly when he discovered he was playing on Giant's co-captain Callum Ward.

Menzel relishes AFL intensity

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Troy, please become our Wingard.
Kthxbai.
just the thought...

noyphh.jpg

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
No kneed to worry
"I didn't have much of a pre-season, so Mick kept it pretty simple: he just wanted me to work on my fitness and build on my forward pressure," he said. "I reckon I'm improving in both areas. I feel the fittest I've been all year."

"I'd love to become a full-time midfielder. I played the majority of my junior footy in the midfield and that's where I want to get back to eventually," he said. "Like most players, you love being where the action is. The challenge for me is to build up to that and show I can do it."
No kneed to worry

thebluelagoon

All Australian
Oct 27, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
got to really like this guy for a first year player. he is not getting huge number with his lack of fitness but he reads the play better than most already. his can do it all, he is really strong one on one, strong over head, super fast with his hands and holds back taking possession in a contested situation until he knows what he is going to do with it... and as a forward he is already a great set shot. averaging 1.6 goal in his first 5 is a great effort

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Troy being a SA boy I'm hoping he turns it on at the last game @ AAMI on Saturday. Familiar surroundings for him. Hope he puts on a show.

ummm, you do realise Wingard is only 19 years old? Wingard is going to be an absolute star. He is already worthy of AA honours at the age of 19.

Would be more than happy if Troy can get to the same levels Wingard is going to reach.

Wingard used to be 19 but he's 20 now. Good player no doubt but I still have to applaud Menzel.

Remember that he could hardly walk in December last year and didn't start kicking until February. Has gone OK.

kingkingston

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
ummm, you do realise Wingard is only 19 years old? Wingard is going to be an absolute star. He is already worthy of AA honours at the age of 19.

Would be more than happy if Troy can get to the same levels Wingard is going to reach.

Wingard is a tad over rated, good player but no need for people to cream their pants over him, i would take Menzel over him any day.

still can't believe Menzel fell to us that low in the draft

I really don't want to put undue pressure on him or have unrealistic expectations etc... but I really believe he has the potential to be our best player one day. He oozes natural class and skill plus seems by all reports to have the right attitude about his footy and work ethic.

Of course, Geelong fans more than likely said the same about Dan :( But hopefully Troy has more luck in his coming development years with his knees and hopefully Dan himself can still come back from it all. Would be great to have both Menzel's tearing up the comp.

Back