Troy Selwood Quits For Health Reasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of the reason why he left the cats was because there was little point being a recruiter and following players from 15 years of age if your not drafting players and topping up with players from other clubs.

Sometimes people are diagnosed with diseases out of the blue. This week we heard Ben Cunnington has cancer. Why is it so hard for some people to believe that young men can get sick?

That's not the point, when people get a serious illness generally they don't go and instantly quit their job, because you know... Why would they? If they get better they'd probably prefer to still have a job to go back to... They're losing a lot for zero gain, it makes no sense.

That's not the point, when people get a serious illness generally they don't go and instantly quit their job, because you know... Why would they? If they get better they'd probably prefer to still have a job to go back to...

Not sure why you're so desperate to create intrigue where there is none, other than your innate love of drama.

He's only been in the job 6 weeks. In the circumstances, it would be less stressful for him to step down for someone else while he focuses on his own issues.

It relieves him of 'keeping in the loop' and feeling that he should be getting a handle on the job he just started. In short, it'd be best for all concerned.

Edit: All the best to him, hope everything turns out well.

Not sure why you're so desperate to create intrigue where there is none, other than your innate love of drama.

He's only been in the job 6 weeks. In the circumstances, it would be less stressful for him to step down for someone else while he focuses on his own issues.

It relieves him of 'keeping in the loop' and feeling that he should be getting a handle on the job he just started. In short, it'd be best for all concerned.

Edit: All the best to him, hope everything turns out well.

It's pretty basic, if you've ever worked for a big company you'll know that people get sick and take time away from work all the time... For serious issues, at no point will a professional company ever hassle them to do work, that's actually illegal... Getting sick and permanently quitting your role instantly is unusual, if Selwood wants to keep it personal that's fine, doesn't make it less unusual.

Anyway, if you don't want to discuss it then don't.

It's pretty basic, if you've ever worked for a big company you'll know that people get sick and take time away from work all the time... For serious issues, at no point will a professional company ever hassle them to do work, that's actually illegal... Getting sick and permanently quitting you're role instantly is unusual, if Selwood wants to keep it personal that's fine, doesn't make it less unusual.

I won't bother with this too much, because you're just a guy searching for drama.

List manager is an important role, obviously. He hasn't been there long enough to make it his own, and he seems to think that he'll need the space and time that would be too long to leave the position filled by a temporary occupant.

He'll get healthy, we'll get another list manager, then he'll get another job in the future.

Nothing unusual, at all.

I won't bother with this too much, because you're just a guy searching for drama.

List manager is an important role, obviously. He hasn't been there long enough to make it his own, and he seems to think that he'll need the space and time that would be too long to leave the position filled by a temporary occupant.

He'll get healthy, we'll get another list manager, then he'll get another job in the future.

Nothing unusual, at all.

I'm having a discussion about our list manager abruptly quitting, there is no drama here despite your desperation for there to be.

I'm having a discussion about our list manager abruptly quitting, there is no drama here despite your desperation for there to be.

No mate, you're trying to complicate the reasons for him stepping down, to suggest that it is 'unusual' that he'd make such a decision for his health.

And now you think you're being clever by suggesting that I'm the one fishing for a bit of drama.

Pathetic and sad, really, but keep at it if it makes you happy.

No mate, you're trying to complicate the reasons for him stepping down, to suggest that it is 'unusual' that he'd make such a decision for his health.

And now you think you're being clever by suggesting that I'm the one fishing for a bit of drama.

Pathetic and sad, really, but keep at it if it makes you happy.

It is unusual to quit your job when you're sick, especially a very good one that pays very well. I don't know why you have to argue this undeniable point

It is unusual to quit your job when you're sick, especially a very good one that pays very well. I don't know why you have to argue this undeniable point

I don't have to argue, mate.

Happy to leave you to your Travis Cloke impersonation, looking for smoke and shadows behind the windows and missing shots from directly in front.

PS: Sorry to Trav, who I will always love dearly.

People quit their jobs regardless of the size of the organisation that employs them; sometimes "abruptly".

We can accept the information that has been offered i.e. he did so for health reasons or we can look for alterior motives.

You have insinuated that people would generally look at protecting their income in time of illness and fair enough.

It's a bit of a leap, and you might be projecting your own values on Selwood. His desire might be to take time away from everything to process his circumstances. Not everyone rolls the same way.

Assuming the worst about the club and its people should not be the default line of thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People quit their jobs regardless of the size of the organisation that employs them; sometimes "abruptly".

We can accept the information that has been offered i.e. he did so for health reasons or we can look for alterior motives.

You have insinuated that people would generally look at protecting their income in time of illness and fair enough.

It's a bit of a leap, and you might be projecting your own values on Selwood. His desire might be to take time away from everything to process his circumstances. Not everyone rolls the same way.

Assuming the worst about the club and its people should not be the default line of thought.
You say he left for health reasons. I have only seen and heard 'personal reasons'. Where has it been officially stated that his health is what caused him to quit the job?

Good advice but posting history suggests it will fall on deaf ears.

You say he left for health reasons. I have only seen and heard 'personal reasons'. Where has it been officially stated that his health is what caused him to quit the job?

The original media article mentioned "health", not personal. If you scroll up it's the article 76 linked to.

Either way, the point remains.

The club has made mistakes this year but not everything we do has been wrong e.g. Wright is in charge and not everyone that leaves does so because they consider us to be a shambles.

The original media article mentioned "health", not personal. If you scroll up it's the article 76 linked to.

Either way, the point remains.

The club has made mistakes this year but not everything we do has been wrong e.g. Wright is in charge and not everyone that leaves does so because they consider us to be a shambles.
Some of the reactions on here are reminiscent of a lynch mob looking for another victim.

In terms of how this affects us. I am hoping not much. This year really is about getting the salary cap under control and keeping our 1st and 2nd rounders in 2022. Recrutiment wise will be happy if we pick up Daicos, Dib, Stengle. Add Faye, Begg, Johnson that is effectively 6 new players in 2022. We already have a lot of youth to develop. Maybe means 1 live rookie/ND pick on player Hine rates. Our recruitment department dont have as much responsibility as last year and they seem to have done quite well. Hopefully we can get someone else good in to support Hine but not sure we should panic too much about this. Wish Troy all the best but just hope it isnt the salary cap issues at Collingwood that gave him mental health issues.

"take time away to process his circumstance" - Exactly agree, it's normal to take some time away from work and way up what you want to do going forward. Giving away a new huge promotion after spending nearly a decade working towards it is not something that is done lightly, or maybe I'm just projecting.

Say what you like about the Selwood's as footballers but they're all cut from the same cloth. They're team first in everything they do and I'm sure that's the thinking behind Troy's decision. I don't need to know what his prognosis was (or is)...I'm sure his thinking would be, "I can't fulfil my obligations to Collingwood Footy Club at this stage and I don't want to hamstring them any further by hanging onto a job I can't complete this year"

He'd realise how important this and next years drafting will be for our future and I'm sure he wouldn't want to make it any harder for Wrighty and his team.

We should be thanking the bloke and wishing him (and his family) all the best and supporting them in any way we can.

"take time away to process his circumstance" - Exactly agree, it's normal to take some time away from work and way up what you want to do going forward. Giving away a new huge promotion after spending nearly a decade working towards it is not something that is done lightly, or maybe I'm just projecting.

I agree.

The income, the potential for professional development and future job opportunities in the years to come are huge things to wak away from.

We're on common ground there. The difference is that I'm not reading between the lines. S*it goes wrong in life, bad things can happen to anyone.

I agree.

The income, the potential for professional development and future job opportunities in the years to come are huge things to wak away from.

We're on common ground there. The difference is that I'm not reading between the lines. S*it goes wrong in life, bad things can happen to anyone.

Am I reading between the lines? Unless I've forgotten something, haven't all I said was that it was unusual? That's not really reading between the lines, is it?

Am I reading between the lines? Unless I've forgotten something, haven't all I said was that it was unusual? That's not really reading between the lines, is it?

You said 'it makes no sense'. The reasons why it might well make sense for a person in ill-health to step away from a job they've only just started have been pointed out.

And I agree that you're not 'reading between the lines'. Instead, I'd say that you're trying to read something into the story that just isn't there.

I’m not sure whether the reporting or some individual comments in here are trashier!

What’s the alternative he suffers in silence going through the motions in the role? From the outside everything would then look rosy, but the output suffers which brings more pressure on the club probably from the same people who then ask “why did we hire this guy? He’s rubbish.”.

Selwood’s done the right thing by the club and most importantly himself by stepping away. We’ll find someone to replace him that’s the industry.
Yet some people wonder why I winter on the Supercoach board more & more.

You said 'it makes no sense'. The reasons why it might well make sense for a person in ill-health to step away from a job they've only just started have been pointed out.

And I agree that you're not 'reading between the lines'. Instead, I'd say that you're trying to read something into the story that just isn't there.

Hmm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back