Troy Selwood Quits For Health Reasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Answer this Question, will Ned Guy get another job in list management?

It is likely Troy Selwood has seen the off season moves we are planning and doesn't want to be seen to be involved in that and tainted with that brush likely ending any future employment opportunities as his reputation will be in tatters like Ned Guy.

Bad signs for our trade period this season and likely why Graham Wright conditioned us with the 'hangover' comment a few weeks back.

It is likely Troy Selwood has seen the off season moves we are planning and doesn't want to be seen to be involved in that and tainted with that brush likely ending any future employment opportunities as his reputation will be in tatters like Ned Guy.

Bad signs for our trade period this season and likely why Graham Wright conditioned us with the 'hangover' comment a few weeks back.
Have you ever faked an illness to avoid embarrassment when quitting a job? I haven’t and I don’t know anyone who has.
We should show the bloke some respect and take what he says at face value.

It is probably more likely that he has had to quit due to legitimate health reasons.

It is unusual to quit your job when you're sick, especially a very good one that pays very well. I don't know why you have to argue this undeniable point
It may be that he was still on probation (6 months), the seriousness of the illness has meant that he needs quite a bit of time to recover, if mental it may be the role is too much and he would not come back to it, or the club has been aware and they have had discussions about it and the conclusion was it is best to leave. He may have insurance to cover a good portion of his income and feels it is best to move out of the AFL environment. Maybe a family member is seriously ill (did anyone demand answers when Clement ‘retired’?).

I don’t know which it is, and I don’t really care. I don’t think it’s up to the club to broadcast his health issues. I’m sure if it was a club issue Selwood would have simply resigned with no explanation.

Classy stuff from a few regulars in here - to be expected.

With everything being said thus far, he has done himself no ill will stepping away from the club especially in the current day and age of Soft Caps.

The Selwood name, coupled with resigning from a role due to health issues 'so the club is not hamstrung to his spend' will ensure he walks into a ob once he is ready.

I in no way know if the above is true, but its logical from a cap perspective looking forward to 2022 - perhaps there was a tap on the shoulder indicating he may not have been as secure in the role as he thought with a new Senior Coach coming in

It's pretty basic, if you've ever worked for a big company you'll know that people get sick and take time away from work all the time... For serious issues, at no point will a professional company ever hassle them to do work, that's actually illegal... Getting sick and permanently quitting your role instantly is unusual, if Selwood wants to keep it personal that's fine, doesn't make it less unusual.

Anyway, if you don't want to discuss it then don't.

Yeah someone here's being a basic...

Last edited:
If he was unwell why wouldn’t the club want to support him through?

Losing his job would be stressful, the impact on finances and family could make things worse - when people get sick is it normal to walk away from security?

Have you ever faked an illness to avoid embarrassment when quitting a job? I haven’t and I don’t know anyone who has.

Maybe, but on the flip side when a CEO says he’s stepping down for personal reasons or to spend time with their family - it’s never true. They’re euphemisms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing his job would be stressful, the impact on finances and family could make things worse - when people get sick is it normal to walk away from security?

Well if the illness and subsequent treatment for your illness effects the way you can perform your role to the best of your ability, then yes, you have to walk away to put yourself first. I'm sure the club will be supporting Selwood, to the best of its ability.

I do agree with Kappa in one sense. If I had sickness leave in a job and I developed a serious illness, the last thing I would is resign.

Well if the illness and subsequent treatment for your illness effects the way you can perform your role to the best of your ability, then yes, you have to walk away to put yourself first. I'm sure the club will be supporting Selwood, to the best of its ability.

Is that what sick leave is for? Putting the person first

I’m not saying I know, obviously I don’t, but it’s a VERY unusual situation!

And believe me, from watching my s**t show of a club I’m familiar with how many unbelievable things seem to happen to clubs in turmoil

And I mean unbelievable in its truest, most literal sense.

Obviously you don't attempt to stay in a job and perform if you are ill. What should dictate your decision is whether you have leave available to recover from an illness or buy time while you attempt to recover. Perhaps after only 6 weeks in the job, Selwood did not qualify for sick leave and therefore resigned.

And believe me, from watching my sh*t show of a club I’m familiar with how many unbelievable things seem to happen to clubs in turmoil

If I worked for Collingwood and came down ill, I would use all my entitlements before even considering retirement. That is what putting the person first is all about.

And believe me, from watching my sh*t show of a club I’m familiar with how many unbelievable things seem to happen to clubs in turmoil

Well considering Selwood has only been at the club six weeks, l think sick leave would practically be non existent. He would take leave without pay, but as we don't know what the illness is or even if its with himself or within his family, then we are all just guessing.
Considering he has quit his role, it must be a pretty serious illness that needs his full attention, and considering the role Selwood did have is probably the most important, besides the senior coaching role, then he thought in the best interests of the club, he needs to leave the role completely. As a list and recruiting manager, that cannot be a role where your full commitment isn't available.

Well considering Selwood has only been at the club six weeks, l think sick leave would practically be non existent. He would take leave without pay, but as we don't know what the illness is or even if its with himself or within his family, then we are all just guessing.
Considering he has quit his role, it must be a pretty serious illness that needs his full attention, and considering the role Selwood did have is probably the most important, besides the senior coaching role, then he thought in the best interests of the club, he needs to leave the role completely. As a list and recruiting manager, that cannot be a role where your full commitment isn't available.

That’s a lot of assumptions starting from the premise that everything is as has been suggested.

Executive contracts do not tend to have periods of time needed to “earn” sick leave like that.

What executive contracts do have is the ability to terminate very quickly early on.

Someone chose to do just that for reasons that will become apparent soon enough.

That’s a lot of assumptions starting from the premise that everything is as has been suggested.

Executive contracts do not tend to have periods of time needed to “earn” sick leave like that.

What executive contracts do have is the ability to terminate very quickly early on.

Someone chose to do just that for reasons that will become apparent soon enough.

Your making assumptions as well aren't you?

A relatively young man who won't have trouble landing another job in the industry decides to leave his job to focus on health.

He's only been in the job 6 weeks, not long enough to make it his own.

Unable to give the club a date of return, he decides that it's in the best interests of both parties to relinquish the position.

You may be incredulous, but if you find that scenario beyond belief in the 'most literal sense', then I'd suggest that your imagination is even more impoverished than your life experience.

If he had something like an income protection policy, it covers mental illness and will be paying him 75% of his salary while he isn't working.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back