• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FTA tv desperately needs to die. If it must exist, just run re-runs of old sitcoms or have 24/7 ads or something. Since they've abjectly failed at producing any new original content for decades and can't even competently broadcast sport, there's literally no point to it.

Abc and Sbs are fine.

the commercial stations should be binned. All they do is buy American content like the 5th csi or ncis or reality tv shows.

if you look at an Australian production companies website that produces and sell content to these stations the shows they produce are mafs, farmer wants a wife , rbi and cooking shows. They turn out trash because that is all that these stations buy. They produce very little quality fictional content. They make a low quality disposal drama every now and again usually featuring that same actor or actress.

then we wonder why great Aussie films are so few and far apart. Like what do they think, someone is going to make married at first sight then make a few good men?

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Also Aussie films are not often good because most Aussie film makers that don't get caught up in their dinky di strata arthouse drama usually have to leave to sell their work and ply their trade if it's outside that genre. It's not the 70s and 80s anymore. The local film scene isn't encouraging if you wanna make a Mad Max or Alvin Purple or Razorback anymore.

The few times we do aim higher like the recent Long Tan movie, it doesn't get locally supported. It's no worse than the many Yanky war movies than come out yearly, but couldn't make back its budget. It would have made ten times that amount if it from overseas.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Abc and Sbs are fine.

the commercial stations should be binned. All they do is buy American content like the 5th csi or ncis or reality tv shows.

if you look at an Australian production companies website that produces and sell content to these stations the shows they produce are mafs, farmer wants a wife , rbi and cooking shows. They turn out trash because that is all that these stations buy. They produce very little quality fictional content. They make a low quality disposal drama every now and again usually featuring that same actor or actress.

then we wonder why great Aussie films are so few and far apart. Like what do they think, someone is going to make married at first sight then make a few good men?
Of course it's loaded with American content most of you seem to think you live there.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Also Aussie films are not often good because most Aussie film makers that don't get caught up in their dinky di strata arthouse drama usually have to leave to sell their work and ply their trade if it's outside that genre. It's not the 70s and 80s anymore. The local film scene isn't encouraging if you wanna make a Mad Max or Alvin Purple or Razorback anymore.

the death of genre films in Australia is a valid observation. probably an aside to my criticism of what do we expect from Aussie writer / directors / producers if Farmer wants a wife and outback truckers are where we are sending them to cut their teeth.

like you wouldn’t send all your architects to work building bird houses for sale in Hahndorf then lament why there are no good architects in Australia.

there’s a market there for genre films and we made a lot of them in the past. Get cracking Edgie. Broken hill is a perfect setting.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the death of genre films in Australia is a valid observation. probably an aside to my criticism of what do we expect from Aussie writer / directors / producers if Farmer wants a wife and outback truckers are where we are sending them to cut their teeth.

like you wouldn’t send all your architects to work building bird houses for sale in Hahndorf then lament why there are no good architects in Australia.

there’s a market there for genre films and we made a lot of them in the past. Get cracking Edgie. Broken hill is a perfect setting.

Don't entirely agree.

There is behind the scenes talent.

It's going overseas, working in pay TV, or working on foreign set local productions like the Marvel Movies, etc. An indi film like Upgrade, made in Melbourne by Australians, set in America starring Americans driving american GTOs shouldn't happen. The movie would have lost nothing with more Australian presence in front of the camera.

Except box office I guess. The enemy is how parochial yanks are and like the VFL it's getting worse, not better.

Broken Hill had genre film made here recently called Locusts. Not sure if I can be bothered seeing it because the hero car is a old ******* Mustang like Gone in 60 seconds. 'Merica. It's not like there isn't a shortage here of old Brock Commodores and Torana's that the owners would have been thrilled to see on screen. It's a microscopicly minor gripe but I think it's representative of us selling our identity, our soul.

I mean, the guy who wrote the hit Netflix series Manhunter is so strayan he named the lead character Holden Ford! But in Australian film making that's no no!

I think the reason is a market that's at an all time high of indifference and the politics of movie financing not being what it used to be. Not because the camera people are filming the voice for a day job.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don't entirely agree.

There is behind the scenes talent.

It's going overseas, working in pay TV, or working on foreign set local productions like the Marvel Movies, etc. An indi film like Upgrade, made in Melbourne by Australians, set in America starring Americans driving american GTOs shouldn't happen. The movie would have lost nothing with more Australian presence in front of the camera.

Except box office I guess. The enemy is how parochial yanks are and like the VFL it's getting worse, not better.

Broken Hill had genre film made here recently called Locusts. Not sure if I can be bothered seeing it because the hero car is a old ******* Mustang like Gone in 60 seconds. 'Merica. It's not like there isn't a shortage here of old Brock Commodores and Torana's that the owners would have been thrilled to see on screen. It's a microscopicly minor gripe but I think it's representative of us selling our identity, our soul.

I mean, the guy who wrote the hit Netflix series Manhunter is so strayan he named the lead character Holden Ford! But in Australian film making that's no no!

I think the reason is a market that's at an all time high of indifference and the politics of movie financing not being what it used to be. Not because the camera people are filming the voice for a day job.

I’m not really referring to crafts like camera and sound which can learn at least some skills on reality shows

What opportunities are there for writer directors to upskill when 99% of the work commercial channels are commissioning is s**t like Outback Truckers.

I see a direct causal link between that and the lack of quality films

Having said that there is of course many other contributing problems that you could point to as even bigger.

When I was at flinders I wrote a paper about Australian film funding lol. From memory we were one of if not the worst performing country in the 1st world in terms of home box office takings. I think I recall (it was a while ago) the year I used as an example we had 3% (In a year that Happy Feet counted as an Aussie made production and made up like 95% of that 3% lol) compared to most countries having 20-80%.

England had about 20% if I recall.

funding bodies are bizarre too.

if something is a drama / comedy they will want it as aussie as possible, if it’s a genre like thriller or sci fi they seem to want American accents.

I genuinely believe that if you took the screenplays for 12 Angry Men and The Nugget to Screen Australia they would pick The Nugget and you would have to shop 12 Angry Men overseas, which would be like telling scarlet johansonn you are busy jacking off into your sock.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I’m not really referring to crafts like camera and sound which can learn at least some skills on reality shows

What opportunities are there for writer directors to upskill when 99% of the work commercial channels are commissioning is s**t like Outback Truckers.

I see a direct causal link between that and the lack of quality films

Having said that there is of course many other contributing problems that you could point to as even bigger.

When I was at flinders I wrote a paper about Australian film funding lol. From memory we were one of if not the worst performing country in the 1st world in terms of home box office takings. I think I recall (it was a while ago) the year I used as an example we had 3% (In a year that Happy Feet counted as an Aussie made production and made up like 95% of that 3% lol) compared to most countries having 20-80%.

England had about 20% if I recall.

funding bodies are bizarre too.

if something is a drama / comedy they will want it as aussie as possible, if it’s a genre like thriller or sci fi they seem to want American accents.

I genuinely believe that if you took the screenplays for 12 Angry Men and The Nugget to Screen Australia they would pick The Nugget and you would have to shop 12 Angry Men overseas, which would be like telling scarlet johansonn you are busy jacking off into your sock.

I hear what you're saying but many non creative rolls in local TV and film are filled by creative that have learnt a technical craft as well. A creative guy I know who worked in the art dept for Mortal Kombat also does sound recording when projects come to down.

The documentary not quite Hollywood makes it sound like Oprah Winfrey was in charge of film financing in the 70s and 80s. You can make a film and you can make a film and everybody can make a film!

You had a wide genre of films being made, action to comedy to thriller, horror, many of them gratuitous with language and sex and violence. Tell you what though, the paper work looks horrendous, there's no way a low budget cut corners flick like Mad Max gets made today with the amount of OHS hoops to jump through.

If I was stuck on a desert island with Scarlett Johansson I would still not be able to get past her horrendous album of Tom Waits covers to find her attractive.

Seen better looking birds at OTR m8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JUNE IS HERE
FB_IMG_1591070930376.jpg

He said something about "your second amendment rights" in his speech today and I didn't quite catch the context, but I thought, yikes!

lol at concept of context in those mushbrained rants.

I believe the context was average Joe's have permission to get their guns and go shooting.

And that average Jamals better not carry anything at all or even put a hand in their pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back