• Definitely not Janus

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Definitely Janus

Votes: 23 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the talk of the Church’s wealth and resources annoys the s**t out of me. Pay some ******* tax.

Catholic Church could just about end world hunger but you know...

meek
inheritance
dirt

etc

They could use all that wealth and power to do something good rather than using it to diddle kids and free pedos

and a lot of churches do, such as food baskets, shelter for those escaping domestic violence - including but not exclusively catholic churches

Which is why it's in the government's interest to keep these churches tax free I guess

(Not being an apologist for organised religion though don't at me. A lot of these are run as playthings for middle aged white guys who use these to sate their thirst for power and control)

The Catholic Church are responsible for some vile s**t but they also spend more on charity then just about anyone else in the world. They're not the great hoarders of wealth people seem to think they are.

Also if we're talking about "religions" that should pay taxes then US evangelicals and Scientology are at the top of any list.

The Catholic Church are responsible for some vile s**t but they also spend more on charity then just about anyone else in the world. They're not the great hoarders of wealth people seem to think they are.

$15 billion isn't great hoarding?

Also Mother Theresa prancing about in squalid, ineffectual death houses isn't many people's idea of charity.

Also if we're talking about "religions" that should pay taxes then US evangelicals and Scientology are at the top of any list.

The top of the list is the same as the bottom of the list. This matter is binary.

$15 billion isn't great hoarding?

A fair chunk of that would be in buildings they own (so you know, churches) and since Francis has become Pope, I'm fairly confident that they've been spending a lot more on charity then what they already were.

The top of the list is the same as the bottom of the list. This matter is binary.

The Catholic Church spend s**t loads in Australia on charitable projects that a lot of people directly or indirectly benefit from. Sikhs in Melbourne go to pray in a literal shipping container with some of the worst portable toilets I've ever seen in my life and a kitchen that would be the size of my computer room yet still do a lot for the community. Jews and Muslims mostly keep to themselves but do spend a fair bit on community projects. Jews in Melbourne spend a lot on maintaining suburbs they have a presence in like Thomastown and Balaclava to name a few.

Those religions, aside from the Sikhs, have money but they give it away more then they keep it and spend it on worthwhile causes for the most part. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and Scientologists would be getting millions upon millions and shipping lots of that back to the US with barely anyone in this country getting any benefit from it.

I'm all for religions paying taxes to a certain extent but you can't say it's black and white when some religions do spend a lot of their money to improve the lives of people when other religious groups literally do what everyone accuses the Catholic Church of doing and go completely under the radar for it.

They're not the great hoarders of wealth people seem to think they are.

Mate, they have turned Vatican City into their own country where they stash all the priceless art stolen over the centuries.

They own more property than any other organisation on the planet, they skim their takings from the most destitute and poor people in the world with a promise of everlasting life that no one can ever hold them accountable for, yet they pay no tax.

The only difference between the Catholic Church and the Mafia is the quality of their PR departments.

I'm all for religions paying taxes to a certain extent but you can't say it's black and white when some religions do spend a lot of their money to improve the lives of people when other religious groups literally do what everyone accuses the Catholic Church of doing and go completely under the radar for it.

This isn't a particularly difficult problem, they should just be forced to keep their religious and charitable operations on separate sets of books and have tax free status on the latter only, with appropriate transparency and the intense public scrutiny that goes along with it.

Things I’ve done today:

• Wiped out a wok (not a euphemism)
• Won back to back online games of FIFA20 for the first time
• Cuddled my dog (not a euphemism)
• Watched ‘The People versus Larry Flynt’
• Checked my scalp for ringworm

#coronablues > #carltonblues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Watched ‘The People versus Larry Flynt’

It's nice to look back on what a fresh and unique screen presence Ed Norton was back when that was made.

The only difference between the Catholic Church and the Mafia is the quality of their PR departments.

Also as far as I'm aware the Mafia don't molest children.

and a lot of churches do, such as food baskets, shelter for those escaping domestic violence - including but not exclusively catholic churches

Which is why it's in the government's interest to keep these churches tax free I guess

(Not being an apologist for organised religion though don't at me. A lot of these are run as playthings for middle aged white guys who use these to sate their thirst for power and control)
I’m pretty sure that the land tax alone would raise more than the boot sale.

most churches seem to raise money for the church.

Pope Francis has raised eyebrows after appearing to offer his support to Cardinal George Pell, making comments about people who “suffer” due to a miscarriage of justice.

The Pope made comments in his Tuesday morning mass today, just hours after the High Court overturned Pell’s conviction.

He then repeated similar comments again on Twitter, comparing the suffering of those wrongly accused to the persecution of Jesus.

Blimey these blokes have been getting away with s**t for centuries and nothing has changed with their influence on our world leaders and using their power for evil.

Pope Francis has raised eyebrows after appearing to offer his support to Cardinal George Pell, making comments about people who “suffer” due to a miscarriage of justice.

The Pope made comments in his Tuesday morning mass today, just hours after the High Court overturned Pell’s conviction.

He then repeated similar comments again on Twitter, comparing the suffering of those wrongly accused to the persecution of Jesus.

Blimey these blokes have been getting away with s**t for centuries and nothing has changed with their influence on our world leaders and using their power for evil.

Pope Frank the campaignerish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back