Banter TRTT Part 12: Get Your Bowels Checked

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Russia finally won the Afghanistan war?
Not quite, Russia still hasn't lost it.
They are being smarter than their last attempt.

Not quite, Russia still hasn't lost it.
They are being smarter than their last attempt.

Did they ever really lose it? From what I've read it seems they simply withdrew after getting in to a stalemate. The Afghans never took any territory back that the soviets captured. In terms of numbers it was less of a loss than the Vietnam to America it is compared to.

Did they ever really lose it? From what I've read it seems they simply withdrew after getting in to a stalemate. The Afghans never took any territory back that the soviets captured. In terms of numbers it was less of a loss than the Vietnam to America it is compared to.
Sort of yes, it caused the overthrow of their government eventually.
However, unlike the democratic countries places like Russia and China can play the longer game.

Not a smidge of any of it was surprising except that these dudes must be somewhat wealthy, and the heck of a job the undercover person does and how it might affect the rest of their life.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
The second time I flicked to it last night the same 5 or so neo-nazis were on an overnight hike that they abandoned for some reason, what were they gonna do anyway? read mein kampf around the fire? losers, sure keep tabs on them but I didn't see anything worth instilling fear 60 minutes style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno. Given it was the 80s, Im guessing one of NTTAWWTy, spivvy or spoofy

I’m sure it was very spoofy. Sounded like he said ‘prickly’ though.

Sums up what I am thinking today. What a waste of lives and resources.

Lives, yes.
Resources, no.
Part of the aim is to keep the Middle East pretty unstable or under direct control.
Stability will eventually lead to a local hegemony (or worse full Russian control), something that is less than desirable if we want to keep taking the resources.

Look at who is complaining we are pulling out, they certainly aren’t the people historically advocating for more Afghan refugees and women’s rights.

Russia...which is why we pulled out. Being between Iran and Russia was never going to end well.
It was always going to be Russia too.
Was a waste of time from start to finish.

And that is coming from someone who spent the best part of two years out there! At no stage was it winnable, all a PR stunt.

Afghanistan was a waste of time the minute some blokes just grabbed a map and started doodling on it to make the country.

It's like the Caucasus' in Russia where tribal background matters a lot more than national identity and when unknown cough*Saudi*cough money goes into mosques and schools to get people in these areas to shift into the most radical sort of Islam imaginable, you get the Taliban and other groups like it.

Afghanistan was a waste of time the minute some blokes just grabbed a map and started doodling on it to make the country.

It's like the Caucasus' in Russia where tribal background matters a lot more than national identity and when unknown cough*Saudi*cough money goes into mosques and schools to get people in these areas to shift into the most radical sort of Islam imaginable, you get the Taliban and other groups like it.

It’s a little younger than Italy and Germany, but your point stands.

We (AusCanUkUs) created the Taliban and help the Saudis to keep funding them.

It’s a total s**t show.

I don't wanna sound too much like a old man here but man it is hard to just play a video game. I've got my old housemates PS4 that we never used and Modern Warfare which I thought I'd boot up given we are in lockdown for another 4 months. Pop the disc in expecting some kind of update, like I'm not totally naive. 90 *in gigabytes!! So that's been running all day. Finally completed, had to create an Activision account too, because (???). Then I go to select multiplayer and I now have to download another 22 gigabyte package which is apparently the multiplayer component. What the * were the other 90 gigs??

Lol now it's become apparent I need the campaign pack as well as the multiplayer because it is still not working. Literally 24 hours of downloading s**t. How is this acceptable for console games? The whole point of consoles is you don't have to think the games just work

Last edited:
I don't wanna sound too much like a old man here but man it is hard to just play a video game. I've got my old housemates PS4 that we never used and Modern Warfare which I thought I'd boot up given we are in lockdown for another 4 months. Pop the disc in expecting some kind of update, like I'm not totally naive. 90 fu**in gigabytes!! So that's been running all day. Finally completed, had to create an Activision account too, because (???). Then I go to select multiplayer and I now have to download another 22 gigabyte package which is apparently the multiplayer component. What the fu** were the other 90 gigs??
The core gameplay components loot boxes

It’s a little younger than Italy and Germany, but your point stands.

We (AusCanUkUs) created the Taliban and help the Saudis to keep funding them.

It’s a total sh*t show.

People look at Afghanistan like it's just a normally drawn out country on a map when it's always been deeply divided between ethnic and tribal lines. While the US were running the joint, the best thing they could've done would have been to just divide the country into smaller areas and let those tribes and ethnic groups govern themselves.

From the Levant through to Afghanistan and even India, there's been an ungodly amount of shockers in the establishment of 99% of those countries since the 1800's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back