Universal Love TRTT Part 6: The Undiscovered Ken

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Just pointing out that the fact that we have a lot of empty space out there makes infrastructure expensive and we all wear that.

Exactly what I'm getting at. Do we have the population to support first world luxuries across the land mass?

Sent from mTalk

I don’t believe these comparisons are very accurate for one, but also the new RAH costing is probably around the mark for a hospital of its size.

Fiona Stanley in WA was approx $2billion to build (with a slightly lower bed capacity and significantly smaller ICU).

The new Gold Coast Hospital (which has a smaller bed capacity) is often reported as $1.7 billion, but there were plenty of cost blowouts, and this report indicates the total cost to be $2.87billion. https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...g/news-story/a39ae995e0efe04c71aa731431174d18

Hospitals are inherently expensive due to the complex engineering needed as well as the expensive medical equipment involved.

Let’s not forget the alternative plan to redo the old RAH (which had plenty of structural and design issues, and would’ve needed to be completely redone over time, with much more difficulty to increase the bed capacity) was around $300 million from the Liberals, involving $0 of new equipment, nor any easy fix for the many design flaws.

If one poorly managed and overpriced project is compared to another poorly run and overpriced project, it's not "around the mark", it's 2 poorly managed and overpriced projects.

Hospitals and related medical equipment are expensive and we should pay fair value for it. I don't want to spend $15k on a hospital bed when the exact same bed could be purchased for $10k or less (that's already a $3million saving without blinking). Additionally, preventable errors that add millions of dollars to the project cost shouldn't be viewed as acceptable. $100 million dollar blow out on a project funded by debt compounds a s**t load after 30 years.

Just for once it would be nice to have a major government project completed on time and within budget.

It always amazes me how people that live in the major cities fail to understand that the money in Australia is generated in the country. Take away the income from mining and agriculture and we would have a third world economy.

Yeah, people in the country do deserve first world 'luxuries' such as access to decent health care and telecommunications.

Nobody loves a half measure more than those cheap bastards.

How’s the Libs version of the NBN going for everyone? Good, right?

The NBN could very well end up being a disaster.

Already 4G mobile is comparable speed wise, the issue is data downloads which is the only thing keeping the NBN viable. Once mobile data downloading becomes big enough for Netflix and chill, I will have no need for NBN and I'm sure many others will be the same. And this is before the tsunami that is 5G hits.

It always amazes me how people that live in the major cities fail to understand that the money in Australia is generated in the country. Take away the income from mining and agriculture and we would have a third world economy.

Yeah, people in the country do deserve first world 'luxuries' such as access to decent health care and telecommunications.

Are you saying Fruchocs don't make us billions?

The solution for regional was always satellite - they'll have better internet than metro before long.

The NBN could very well end up being a disaster.

Already 4G mobile is comparable speed wise, the issue is data downloads which is the only thing keeping the NBN viable. Once mobile data downloading becomes big enough for Netflix and chill, I will have no need for NBN and I'm sure many others will be the same. And this is before the tsunami that is 5G hits.

It doesn’t need to be big enough for what we use it for now, it needs to be big enough for what we’ll use if for in future.

Mobile network capacity may grow but so will the data-hungriness of applications and everyday internet usage. You can’t just assume there will be a paradigm-changing leap of mobile technology that will bring it into line with a fibre network in dollar for capacity terms. There might be, there very well might not be.

It doesn’t need to be big enough for what we use it for now, it needs to be big enough for what we’ll use if for in future.

Mobile network capacity may grow but so will the data-hungriness of applications and everyday internet usage. You can’t just assume there will be a paradigm-changing leap of mobile technology that will bring it into line with a fibre network in dollar for capacity terms. There might be, there very well might not be.

And yet you're assuming that apps and everyday internet usage will become increasingly data hungry when that also may or may not be the case ...

Exactly what I'm getting at. Do we have the population to support first world luxuries across the land mass?

Sent from mTalk

Probably if we did things a little smarter.

Like I’m still not sure why it is scientifically or financially viable to subsidise joe blow next door to me to put solar panels on his roof for his * all power usage while my workplace that uses more electricity than the surrounding 8 blocks 98 % of which is during daylight hours doesnt?

I can’t imagine powering or supplying the homes of Ballarat or Whyalla with infrastructure is hard at all. Powering the ******* insane businesses is probably another issue.

I agree in principle. I was writing in more present terms with 4G tech and home users. I have 100/40 NBN FTTP and I'll be happy to disconnect once it becomes cost effective to use my mobile data for Netflix/Stan. Actually, it's probably not far off now. I should check that out.

And yet you're assuming that apps and everyday internet usage will become increasingly data hungry when that also may or may not be the case ...

I’m extremely happy with that assumption.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree in principle. I was writing in more present terms with 4G tech and home users. I have 100/40 NBN FTTP and I'll be happy to disconnect once it becomes cost effective to use my mobile data for Netflix/Stan. Actually, it's probably not far off now. I should check that out.

Give it a thorough trial before disconnecting the NBN. I think you might be surprised. :)

People need to understand the software tech is moving faster than the hardware tech, and much much faster than peoples willingness to fund exchanging hardware.

4K was a thing long long before people commonly had the tvs to view it on lol. Before many people had even gone to 1080. Governments are as stingy as their stingiest constituents.

Already in Australia in the screen media business it’s hard to compete with overseas companies because it takes far longer to send files from here to Sweden than it does from ******* Romania to Sweden. And our nbn is brand new lol. When it reaches truly outdated status we will be ****ed if we haven’t got another option, and even if we do that option will be bleeding expensive as because they can.

Those industries have kept this countries head above water when the rest of the world was drowning.

Sent from mTalk

The solution for regional was always satellite - they'll have better internet than metro before long.

An 8 gig a month satellite plan for half the price of unlimited ADSL is not my definition of better internet.

I speak from experience.

Sent from mTalk

In which universe will that not be the case? In a few years even the most basic popup adds will probably be in 4k.

Sent from mTalk

An 8 gig a month satellite plan for half the price of unlimited ADSL is not my definition of better internet.

I speak from experience.

Sent from mTalk

Check out Uniti and see if you can get it in your area.

You realise that the speed problems with the NBN have nothing to do with the technology and everything to do with the fact that no one wants to pay to use it? I'm sure we've been down this path before.

It is being paid for using the Future Fund. That means it’s an investment, not a gift, and the money spent needs to be recouped and then some. I read an article that said that Labor’s version of the NBN would have cost people $300 a month for unlimited bandwidth because of the added costs.

The main issue with it is the amount of CVC bandwidth retailers are buying. Apparently, if they could get 75% take up on the NBN at a cost of $52 per person (wholesale, so you'd have to pay $100 a month), you could have unlimited speed and actually use the network to capacity. But because most Australians - even the ones that are FTTP connected - are opting to go for the two lowest speed tiers (NBN 12 and NBN 25), retailers are skimping out on paying for more bandwidth because the demand just isn't there for most people and the cost is too prohibitive to buy more because of that.
So that is why the NBN has been pulled in my area despite me being prepared to pay for it? :rolleyes:

What do you mean could? it's already a disaster.

Re the NBN, I was sitting alongside a Telstra tech bloke at Tullamarine airport, in early 2013.

He had been collected by taxi from Healesville ( the fare apparently wasn't far short of $500 ) in the early hours of the morning to catch a flight to Perth, apparently because of serious problems in various areas of WA.

The key things I remember from our conversation were his comments that only he and one other tech, who lived in Qld, had the expertise required to sort out the serious issues, and the government would have to take pot luck and outsource numerous tech jobs to other countries, eg the Philippines, and he followed that up with he expected the whole NBN situation to be a disaster. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back