Universal Love TRTT Part 7: Swimming & T*ts Variety Bash

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think #2 in the Hottest 100 yesterday was the point where I officially went full 'no, it's the children who are wrong'. I'm Losing It by Fisher is legitimately one of the worst 'songs' I've ever heard. Shouldn't have made the top #2000.

Don't mind this and not a house or techno dude at all. But I'm surprised it has the appeal to make #2.

I did the customary voting but I think only a couple of my songs made the 100 (and indeed the 200). A couple of Brockhampton songs and I think a Kids See Ghost track that clocked #196 or something stupidly low.

Funnily enough I'm reading the Double J top 50 albums of the year list here and Parquet Court's Wide Awake is #1. It's my #1 too. IDLES' Joy is #4 and that was my #2. They both had two songs on the Hottest 100 poll and none of them even made the top 200 in the end. I don't know anything about how much air time they got on JJJ because I'm not a listener but it probably says a lot about the direction of the station that two critically acclaimed and insanely relevant punk records didn't get near the top 100.

Maybe I'm just an over 30 demographic mind in an under 25 demographic body. I dunno. Maybe the listenership of JJJ has been totally co-opted by dumbass private school graduates who like boring psych poprock. I mean when even a contemporary hip hop banger like Boogie by Brockhampton doesn't place in the top half of the poll you gotta wonder what's going on with the youfs taste. Probably the answer is that JJJ was never good.

I think #2 in the Hottest 100 yesterday was the point where I officially went full 'no, it's the children who are wrong'. I'm Losing It by Fisher is legitimately one of the worst 'songs' I've ever heard. Shouldn't have made the top #2000.

Is that the sound of a van reversing?

Don't mind this and not a house or techno dude at all. But I'm surprised it has the appeal to make #2.

I did the customary voting but I think only a couple of my songs made the 100 (and indeed the 200). A couple of Brockhampton songs and I think a Kids See Ghost track that clocked #196 or something stupidly low.

Funnily enough I'm reading the Double J top 50 albums of the year list here and Parquet Court's Wide Awake is #1. It's my #1 too. IDLES' Joy is #4 and that was my #2. They both had two songs on the Hottest 100 poll and none of them even made the top 200 in the end. I don't know anything about how much air time they got on JJJ because I'm not a listener but it probably says a lot about the direction of the station that two critically acclaimed and insanely relevant punk records didn't get near the top 100.

Maybe I'm just an over 30 demographic mind in an under 25 demographic body. I dunno. Maybe the listenership of JJJ has been totally co-opted by dumbass private school graduates who like boring psych poprock. I mean when even a contemporary hip hop banger like Boogie by Brockhampton doesn't place in the top half of the poll you gotta wonder what's going on with the youfs taste. Probably the answer is that JJJ was never good.

Wow I have actually heard of parquet court will investigate this album.

Haven't listened to tripe J since they stopped playing Belle and Sebastian in favour of RnB Hip Hop Bangers

I think Parquet Courts are playing Laneway in a week or so. Almost worth going just to see them.

Double J is taking another vote for the 1998 Top 100 #1

Everyone needs to go and vote for Rob Zombie's Dragula, the rightful #1 song of 1998

Looking back at that list, it confirms my thoughts that Triple J had been long dead even by 1998. Lots of big early 90s bands were already well on the down-slide then (see Pearl Jam 'Given to Fly', RATM 'No Shelter' and Smashing Pumpkins 'Ava Adore') and their complete over obsession with mediocre Australian 'alternative' music went full speed ahead (see The Living End, Jebadiah and the god awful 'Whitlams').

This was the last decent Hottest 100.

1548719440934.jpeg

And even then things like Oasis - Wonderwall and Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise had got in.

bcf5f79bbfec28d25c129c7cb901c574

I think Parquet Courts are playing Laneway in a week or so. Almost worth going just to see them.
I basically am doing that. Was gonna get a ticket to see them at Croxton but a mate of mine already had laneway tickets so I jumped on that wagon. Still might see if I can track down some tickets to that Thursday gig though... Such a good band.

Looking back at that list, it confirms my thoughts that Triple J had been long dead even by 1998. Lots of big early 90s bands were already well on the down-slide then (see Pearl Jam 'Given to Fly', RATM 'No Shelter' and Smashing Pumpkins 'Ava Adore') and their complete over obsession with mediocre Australian 'alternative' music went full speed ahead (see The Living End, Jebadiah and the god awful 'Whitlams').

This was the last decent Hottest 100.

View attachment 612002

And even then things like Oasis - Wonderwall and Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise had got in.

bcf5f79bbfec28d25c129c7cb901c574
That was the only Triple J Hottest 100 CD I ever bought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s nothing more punk than voting for your favourite song in a youth radio popularity poll.
I reckon it's strange that internationally popular and acclaimed left wing political music can't find a way into the biggest annual youth music poll. Particularly given the political climate and how politically engaged millennials (and the next generation) are.

Punk doesn't need to remain in obscurity to be punk.

I used to like Jebediah. Listened to Slightly Odway for the first time in probably 17 years a couple months back. Banging music, but the singers voice is just not good. Give the man a pack of Zyrtec for the love of god!! Off topic but Callum Twomey the AFLs draft expert is the same, talks solely through his nose.

I loved that era of Aussie music though. Superjesus, Testeagles, Regurgitator, early Powderfinger, Sonic Animation et al.

Hated the Aussie hip hop era, hated the solemn acoustic era, hate the Lorde ripoff era, hate Like A Version.

Testeagles, * yeah.

Though I can enjoy some of the stuff on Triple J as it's simply pleasant enough to listen to, none of it has any energy at all and that's where it loses me. It's all great "have on in the background" music but none of it is that real gives you goosebumps when you hear it type s**t.

I used to like Jebediah. Listened to Slightly Odway for the first time in probably 17 years a couple months back. Banging music, but the singers voice is just not good. Give the man a pack of Zyrtec for the love of god!! Off topic but Callum Twomey the AFLs draft expert is the same, talks solely through his nose.

I loved that era of Aussie music though. Superjesus, Testeagles, Regurgitator, early Powderfinger, Sonic Animation et al.

Hated the Aussie hip hop era, hated the solemn acoustic era, hate the Lorde ripoff era, hate Like A Version.

Testeagles mosh pit went off at Offshore 2000. I’m surprised no one got killed. But the Area 7 one was even worse, because everyone was trying to do a circle pit. Someone poor girl almost fell over and got crushed and I had to hold her up, and her boyfriend was like “s**t, thanks man!”

Grinspoon, Bodyjar, Shihad (Not Australian but whatever), Spiderbait, Frenzal Rhomb...hell even Happyland. All good s**t.

I loved going to gigs back then. Had a whole group that would be amped to go and we’d pile into a friend’s combi and just run amok in the city. Most of the time I wouldn’t even know who was playing, I’d just go.

Then electronic music took over and we were going to see international acts Deadmau5, David Guetta and Skrillex. I love that s**t too.

Good times, good times.

I'm still angry that Jebediah ever was a thing.

Worse voice ever
It's like Dave Hughes with his nose blocked
How they sold records I'll never know

You say this in an era populated by Madison Avenue.

Jebediah were a band that got by on the strength of their live performances. They were always energetic and just a really fun band to watch live.

Testeagles, **** yeah.

Though I can enjoy some of the stuff on Triple J as it's simply pleasant enough to listen to, none of it has any energy at all and that's where it loses me. It's all great "have on in the background" music but none of it is that real gives you goosebumps when you hear it type s**t.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...nging-sound-of-triple-js-hottest-100/10742150

Interesting article on how the Hottest 100 has changed over the years which includes the genres, but also the fall in tempo, energy and positivity of it. So it's not just me being old man yells at cloud, the dullness and blandness is backed up by statistics.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...nging-sound-of-triple-js-hottest-100/10742150

Interesting article on how the Hottest 100 has changed over the years which includes the genres, but also the fall in tempo, energy and positivity of it. So it's not just me being old man yells at cloud, the dullness and blandness is backed up by statistics.

Angus & Julia Stone winning anything but a one-way trip to deep space is as much an anachronism as cheesy 90’s singles from The Offspring and Steve Harwell Band.

My group of friends have always had a hottest 100 party. We're now in our thirties. There is still plenty of new music coming out that I like, it's just not the stuff that makes the countdown any more.

We made our own hottest 100 from everything we've voted for/wished we'd voted for since 2011.

Was a great day.

Even then, the top song "lonely boy - the black keys" was still the song everyone liked, but no-one had in their top 5. It was one of two songs that everyone picked from 2011 and won by default, much like hoops in 2016, big jet plane in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back