Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

I absolutely cannot for the life of me imagine how the UK could've looked at the last few years and the absolute clusterfu** that is Brexit, and overwhelmingly swung towards 'yep, these are definitely the people we want running our country'. Baffling.

Basically they chose a quick painless death over continued torture and possible survival.

Says a bit about human nature.

IMF suggesting that the Australian government needs to consider giving out cash bonuses and moving up infrastructure projects while the RBA should look at quantitive easing next year to stimulate the economy and stave off a recession.

Central banks are buying up treasury bonds to shore up liquidity for governments. European Central Bank buys $30b worth of treasury bonds per month, which pumps money into a nation's budget. Pretty much a version of the 2008 GFC, except this time it's reserve banks pouring money into governments instead of governments pouring money into large banks.

Baby boomers reaching pension age who actually have some some of superannuation nest egg would be a massive drain on social security if there was a crash in the stock market. So governments will do whatever they can to ensure these people don't lose money. After all, with an ageing population across the world, they are the ones who hold the most voting power.

The current mentality in financial markets for pensions is 'buy equities for yield', because it looks better than 0%. Hence why the stock markets of the world are doing relatively well compared to their economies. The only place I wouldn't be tradings stocks is in Europe - the future price/earnings ratio for the companies listed in their indices is -2 to -5 from their current levels across the board. Europe is in real trouble because they don't produce commodities and they can't rely on a consumer driven economy

And you wonder why conservative parties get into power? Come on, man.

The good thing is that negative interest rates, low growth and high taxes = the next generation left paying a bill for a party they didn't even attend.

Inky dinky doo :)

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
BoJo already flagging that there's a cost for Rupert's fawning coverage of all things Tory in the election..... WAR on the BBC.

Eerie parallels with Sco Mo and his "issues" with our ABC.

These campaigners will not give up until public broadcasters are minimised or better still eradicated.

BoJo already flagging that there's a cost for Rupert's fawning coverage of all things Tory in the election..... WAR on the BBC.

Eerie parallels with Sco Mo and his "issues" with our ABC.

These campaigners will not give up until public broadcasters are minimised or better still eradicated.

Do you think the parties themselves bear any responsibility for the election losses or is it 100% the media that has dictated these election results in the US the UK and Australia?

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Do you think the parties themselves bear any responsibility for the election losses or is it 100% the media that has dictated these election results in the US the UK and Australia?
Naturally the party leaders have to be accountable but giving Labor the blowtorch while the conservatives get a wink and a nod

is outright meddling. I just don't get it that Shorten or Corbyn were inherently unlikable surely its policy policy policy.

On the likability scale Albo might suffer and going to the Qld coal belt on his hands n knees aint a great look.

Having an interest in politics isn't a recipe for happiness. Right now, for me anyway, its depressing.

C’arn!
The Tories literally had no policy other than Get Brexit Done’ (which Labour also had btw, but they offered to get it done with a deal).

They refused to attend any debates, famously being replaced by a melting ice block.

Johnson hid in a ducking fridge to avoid a reporter ffs! And they dog whistled their way to popularity.

But Corbyn has been painted as the devil incarnate for wanting to nationalise rail and power.

It’s a Murdoch stitch up, but if that’s what people accept that’s what people accept. Easy lies over hard truths.

No kidding I get that supermarkets have staples like milk parked far away from the cashier and trollys that are designed to not

run straight but IKEA's layout is peak customer manipulation. Betcha their stores worldwide are identical. Not a big fan of flat packs

and the quality is pretty ordinary.
They are dirt cheap in other countries. So expensive here!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wales and Scotland aren’t states!
The countries making up the UK might as well be. The UK government being equivalent to our Federal and the countries being states with State governments. I get the result is s**t for many, but if you're going to have any sort of union for government purposes you can't crack the shits about it not working just when 'the other side' is elected.

The countries making up the UK might as well be. The UK government being equivalent to our Federal and the countries being states with State governments. I get the result is s**t for many, but if you're going to have any sort of union for government purposes you can't crack the shits about it not working just when 'the other side' is elected.
But they aren’t!
What are you talking about cracking the shits? Welsh and Scottish nationalism (as well as Irish) has been an item for the last 150 years, it’s not about ‘the other side’, independence isn’t about Labour and Tory (as Sinn Fein, the SNP and Plaid Cymru show) You clearly have very little understanding of British politics to make these statements.
Any referendum also has to come up against the same Murdoch press juggernaut.

The issue is that countries that have been colonised are given a false impression that they are allowed to vote for the government, which the numbers make absolutely untrue, and the numbers of the colonials wipes out the votes of the individual nations (for the Scottish referendum for example, English living in Scotland were allowed to vote (eg JK Rowling), but not Scots living in England). Colonialism with an extra step.

The whole ‘get over it you lost’ attitude ignores the reality of the unfair and undemocratic structures that are exploited and ingrained.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But they aren’t!
What are you talking about cracking the shits? Welsh and Scottish nationalism (as well as Irish) has been an item for the last 150 years, it’s not about ‘the other side’. You clearly have very little understanding of British politics to make these statements.

The issue is that countries that have been colonised are given a false impression that they are allowed to vote for the government, which the numbers make absolutely untrue. Colonialism with an extra step.

The "Murdoch Press" doesn't seem to be getting much traction in the countries that aren't England. I think you're over stating that factor. On the flip side the biggest consumer of the ABC are Older people and Regional folk, yet the left leaning ABC doesn't seem to get much traction with them. I still subscribe to the fact that at a base level most people are insular, have a degree of inherent racism, prefer stability and don't like their s**t taken from them. At the moment, the right wing parties offering them that, and until their economies or the environment or even their freedoms gets substantially worse so that effects their day to day lives, they are going to stick with the status quo.

The "Murdoch Press" doesn't seem to be getting much traction in the countries that aren't England. I think you're over stating that factor. On the flip side the biggest consumer of the ABC are Older people and Regional folk, yet the left leaning ABC doesn't seem to get much traction with them. I still subscribe to the fact that at a base level most people are insular, have a degree of inherent racism, prefer stability and don't like their s**t taken from them. At the moment, the right wing parties offering them that, and until their economies or the environment or even their freedoms gets substantially worse so that effects their day to day lives, they are going to stick with the status quo.
Murdoch operates mostly in England, Australia and the USA.

None of these governments have a similar ring to Them?

Good grief.

They convinced people Corbyn was a communist, racist terrorist ffs!
That Hilary was a murderer and paedo.
That Shorten would steal all your pensions.

Unbelievable that you’d try to play down their role, truly.

Good grief.

Shorten used his Mediscare campaign that nearly won him an election but that was ok?

Both sides do it, it's politics.

I just think it's way too simplistic to blame the press. Murdoch or any other.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Good grief.

Corbyn being racist should have worked in his favour given the that Brexit is almost entirely built on racist philosophy.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
I work a fair bit with people living in Gibraltar and have great sympathy for them with Brexit. They voted 96% to remain and are going to be more effected by Brexit than anyone, including the Northern Irish, but ultimately have no sway in the process. Many grew up when there was a closed boarder with Spain and there is a chance that will happen again post Brexit but they all see sovereignty from the UK would leave them beholden to Spain and the EU.

Scotland is at least comparatively affluent and could function as a stand alone economy. Given their energy production the EU would be clammering over themselves to roll out the welcome mat. If they had the sovereign wealth of Norway they could probably even function outside the EU. Although in reality if they were independent they would remain incredibly closely tied with England.

But Wales, no one in there right mind actually thinks an independent Wales is good idea do they? The EU wouldn’t be in a rush to bring in another basket case economy and I doubt an independent Wales could expect kind treatment from England either. Even the political argument is a stretch, they voted majority to leave and are probably one of the parts of the UK that could most likely expect to benefit from Brexit.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I work a fair bit with people living in Gibraltar and have great sympathy for them with Brexit. They voted 96% to remain and are going to be more effected by Brexit than anyone, including the Northern Irish, but ultimately have no sway in the process. Many grew up when there was a closed boarder with Spain and there is a chance that will happen again post Brexit but they all see sovereignty from the UK would leave them beholden to Spain and the EU.

Scotland is at least comparatively affluent and could function as a stand alone economy. Given their energy production the EU would be clammering over themselves to roll out the welcome mat. If they had the sovereign wealth of Norway they could probably even function outside the EU. Although in reality if they were independent they would remain incredibly closely tied with England.

But Wales, no one in there right mind actually thinks an independent Wales is good idea do they? The EU wouldn’t be in a rush to bring in another basket case economy and I doubt an independent Wales could expect kind treatment from England either. Even the political argument is a stretch, they voted majority to leave and are probably one of the parts of the UK that could most likely expect to benefit from Brexit.

chiwigi about to go ballistic......3,2,1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back