Current True Crime Podcasts

Remove this Banner Ad

Trace Podcast

The Victorian Coroner has reopened the investigation into the 38-year-old cold case of Maria James, whose murder was the subject of the ABC's Trace podcast series.
  • A coronial inquest in 1982 found Maria James was murdered by "a person unknown"
  • New evidence uncovered by the ABC's Trace podcast cast fresh light on the case
  • The coroner's re-investigation is only possible because of new laws passed in October

Acting State Coroner Iain West said this morning that he would set aside the finding of a 1982 inquest that found Ms James was murdered by "a person unknown".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11...maria-james-murder-case-to-re-opened/10569792

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Trace Podcast

The Victorian Coroner has reopened the investigation into the 38-year-old cold case of Maria James, whose murder was the subject of the ABC's Trace podcast series.
  • A coronial inquest in 1982 found Maria James was murdered by "a person unknown"
  • New evidence uncovered by the ABC's Trace podcast cast fresh light on the case
  • The coroner's re-investigation is only possible because of new laws passed in October

Acting State Coroner Iain West said this morning that he would set aside the finding of a 1982 inquest that found Ms James was murdered by "a person unknown".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11...maria-james-murder-case-to-re-opened/10569792
There was a new episode of Trace today.

ABC has another article online today which I would post but reveals what is in the podcast.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Just finished Bear Brook and I have to say it''s excellent. Six part podcast that dates back to the early 80s when 2 bodies were found in barrells in the woods in New Hampshire.

DNA tech (the same that caught the East Area Rapist) solves this 30-odd years later.

Excellently researched and presented.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
When looking at the podcasts, I noticed Mamamia now have a podcast called True Crime Conversations. It started in June. Not all are Australian cases but the first one is about Davine Arckens the victim of Gene Bristow. Have only listened to this one which was quite interesting. Also been discussed briefly here

Here is the link https://www.mamamia.com.au/podcasts/true-crime-conversations/ or search for True Crime Conversations.

It also features:
The Curse of Dulcie Markham
The Case of the Bowraville Murders
The Lady Vanishes (Which is also a separate podcast)
Khandalyce Pearce and Karlie Pearce Stevenson
Roger Rogerson
Christopher Wilder and
Kathleen Pettingill

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
TRUE CRIME PODS.

Hollywood & Crime
Hollywood & Crime specializes in cases from Hollywood’s golden age, including what might be the most complete investigation of the Black Dahlia, with 26 episodes fully dedicated to what’s probably Hollywood’s most notorious murder. But don’t fret, the team still goes deep on other Tinseltown crimes.
Episodes: 40
Length: 1 hour or less
Have been binging this the last week.

I have listened to the Black Dahlia and associated cases. I wasnt aware of 5 other murders within a short time span of the Elizabeth Short murder. This section looks at all of the cases , then they get a 21st century perspective on the unsolved cases.

I found it really interesting and well presented. Having read the James Ellroy book about 25 years ago I may have to go back and read it again

Crimeobsessed

Draftee
Sep 14, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have a listen to new podcast Annette: Cold Case Unlocked about the mysterious death of 19-year-old girl Annette Deverell in Mandurah in 1980.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I am told there are a couple of good podcasts of late but haven't listened to them yet.

About the dark web. It is ongoing.

The story so far of Theo Hayes. The Belgian Tourist that went missing at Byron Bay. Produced by the Australian that did The Teachers Pet and Who the Hell is Hamish.

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Alexander MacDonald
criminal. Bank robber. Vietnam vet.
killed ron williams .
Podcast
By Andrew Rule

I am told there are a couple of good podcasts of late but haven't listened to them yet.

About the dark web. It is ongoing.

The story so far of Theo Hayes. The Belgian Tourist that went missing at Byron Bay. Produced by the Australian that did The Teachers Pet and Who the Hell is Hamish.

Thanks for the tip FTY1 Hunting Warhead is excellent, I started a thread for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
When looking at the podcasts, I noticed Mamamia now have a podcast called True Crime Conversations. It started in June. Not all are Australian cases but the first one is about Davine Arckens the victim of Gene Bristow. Have only listened to this one which was quite interesting. Also been discussed briefly here

Here is the link https://www.mamamia.com.au/podcasts/true-crime-conversations/ or search for True Crime Conversations.

It also features:
The Curse of Dulcie Markham
The Case of the Bowraville Murders
The Lady Vanishes (Which is also a separate podcast)
Khandalyce Pearce and Karlie Pearce Stevenson
Roger Rogerson
Christopher Wilder and
Kathleen Pettingill

Listened to the Roger Rogerson one recently on a Qantas flight and found it pretty good.

We all know how his crime was unraveled by CCTV but it was interesting to hear the podcaster say that it was a well planned murder but it was unlucky he was captured in the pub with McNamara and his victim.

Still can’t believe someone as experienced and knowledgeable as him had a body resurface from the water...

Still can’t believe someone as experienced and knowledgeable as him had a body resurface from the water...

Got old, lazy and complacent. He murdered and stole from a young man in a sting as if he was garbage to support his celebrity lifestyle, jetted straight out after it to speak at some venue where the gullible pay to hear him talk BS and maybe get a chance to shake his hand.

Jail for the rest of his life and he still won't have copped his right whack. imo.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
True Crime Garage has a new three parter out on Jonbenet Ramsey, it was hugely disturbing more so than anything else I've listened to. I'll be a bit choosier about what I listen to and when in future.
Listening to that now. It’s the first time I’ve listen to these guys.
bit on the fence with this one, not sure the Captain adds anything.
Can’t believe she was tortured and killed whilst they were upstairs.
My money is on Santa Bill.

Listening to that now. It’s the first time I’ve listen to these guys.
bit on the fence with this one, not sure the Captain adds anything.
Can’t believe she was tortured and killed whilst they were upstairs.
My money is on Santa Bill.

I wondered what the Captain was there for initially as well, he first came over as a bit of a stoner and Nic could talk the leg off a chair without him but when he does jump out with a strong opinion, it's a bit of a shock and has some impact.

They think Santa Bill might have done it as well I think, very experienced researchers/podcasters so they might be right imo.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I wondered what the Captain was there for initially as well, he first came over as a bit of a stoner and Nic could talk the leg off a chair without him but when he does jump out with a strong opinion, it's a bit of a shock and has some impact.

They think Santa Bill might have done it as well I think, very experienced researchers/podcasters so they might be right imo.
The fact that she said Santa was going to visit her after Christmas.
There was a 911 call from the house 2 days or so before when I believe he was at the party.
The ransom note referenced movies - his wife was a movie critic.
His own daughter was abducted with a friend and the friend was molested 22 years before, to the day and is still unsolved.
Boot prints at the scene.
Similar bear in her room to what he used to carry around.
Alibi was that he was sleeping at home from 10pm (murder was sometime after 1am)
She gave him a vial of glitter, he even had that with him in the operating room when he had his heart surgery.
I think he was considered too old at the time and had had heart surgery 5 months prior.

Last edited:
I've followed this for a long time so it's good to finally see a podcast giving it some attention and going right into Mexico talking to people on the inside. It's suspected a serial killer/killers are crossing the border from El Paso into Ciudad Juarez Mexico and picking women off. Most of them are teenagers come from the country to work in the factories, found dumped in paddocks, on the side of the road or in shallow, mass graves.

It's shaping up to be an excellent podcast, in English.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Hedley Thomas has a new podcast with the Australian called The Night Driver.

This has a few pictures at the start and an interview with Hedley. Podcast below.

imho

Team Captain
Dec 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
an unbelievably corrupt investigation surrounding the disappearance of young victorian woman, Britt Lapthorne, who vanished in 2008 while backpacking in Dubrovnik on the Adriatic Sea in southern Croatia.

imho

One of the most recent Casefile Podcats about the discovery of a mutilated body identified as Beverly McGowan is a brilliant listen. I'd never heard about the case, but it gained international attention as the killer was dubbed "the most wanted woman in the world".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back