True or False: Glen Jakovich had Carey's number on the footy field ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Slats

All Australian
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
West Coast legend Glen Jakovich believes he had the better of North Melbourne champion Wayne Carey by the end of his career.

But that wasn’t always the case.

As a young defender, Jakovich was towelled up by Carey, who was beginning to take the competition by storm in the early ‘90s.

Carey took 11 marks and kicked three goals on Jakovich at Subiaco in 1993, much to the chagrin of his coach Malthouse, who delivered an ominous warning to the West Australian native after the siren.

“He said, ‘Hey Glen, let me tell you something,” Jakovich told Fox Footy’s Open Mike.

“‘See that player out there, Wayne Carey. You’re going to be playing on him for the next 10 years. He embarrassed you in front of your family, your friends. I’ve got a hint for you: you learn to beat him or I’ll find someone else that can.’”

“That was pointed and I kind of needed that because I thrived on that type of challenge and opportunity. That’s when the rivalry started.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ope...y/news-story/e5bdfd664aaefbe6aa4701f941732a60

I would love to see roles reversed - carey playing negatively on Jako - Jako wouldnt get a kick. Its a lot easier to spoil than it is to take a mark. The funny thing is that carey himself said that Neitz was his toughest opponent.
Glenn Archer also said that Neitz was one of the hardest players he had seen play

Both beat each other on their day multiple times, after the knee when Duck ran off Jakovich, Jako couldn't keep up.

Carey belted him a few times early in proceedings and a few late in their careers too, Jako had his best patch in the middle.

I'd say 50/50, great battle over the years.

But it is received wisdom in the dreary endless land of nothingness that is WA that Jakovich "owned" Carey, so I expect people to claim I'm wrong when they emerge from their mining pits or meth labs or whatever it is they do over there.

I wish there was some sort of equivalent of this rivalry in modern footy.

It's interesting as we no longer see midfield battles between star midfielders and taggers. The game is far more team orientated and emphasis on structure.

Personally, I think the game is better to watch now than ever before but who could forget those great rivalries of the past.

It was Carey's arrogance that let Jakovich beat him. He was 10 times the player Jacko was but tried to outmuscle him stationary instead of running him around where he would have flogged him every time.

Yeah, this too, though Jako could go with him a lot better before the knee.

Carey was the significantly better overall player, could play multiple roles at an elite level, where Jako was one dimensional.

The ONLY reason he had a good record against Carey was because their midfield was fantastic during that period and ours was mediocre, it is not hard to beat a guy when the ball barely goes forward. In the games we managed to not get pantsed in the middle, Carey killed him and the three other guys playing on him at the same time.

I firstly must admit that my viewing of these contests was limited to my younger, very eagle biased views.

However, Prior to the knee - Jako would at least breakeven with Carey in most contests. So much so that I don't think either Carey or Jakovich come out as clear winners. Was just a fantastic battle of two very determined footballers.

However, once Jako did his knee that was it- Carey was just too mobile.

Knees were just career killers then. Just was never the same after.

Still, was a fantastic rivalry, one I was very glad to say I was old enough to witness.

I posted this in the Rance masturbation thread to highlight what great battles actually entailed:

This is a selection of WC vs NM games from the 1990s:

W Carey 21 touches 11 marks 3 goals. G Jakovich who cares. W Carey 1 vote.
W Carey 21 touches 15 marks 5 goals. G Jakovich who cares. W Carey 2 votes.
W Carey 20 touches 11 marks 5 goals. G Jakovich who cares. W Carey 3 votes.

W Carey 6 touches. G Jakovich 26 touches 5 marks. G Jakovich BOG (final).
W Carey 14 touches 1 goal. G Jakovich 29 touches, 7 marks. G Jakovich 3 votes
W Carey 10 touches. G Jakovich 20 touches 6 marks. G Jakovich 3 votes

Carey was a dominant force in the 90s. In 1993 he averaged 18 touches 8 marks, 3.5 goals for the season pre-finals. He killed us with 21 touches, 11 marks and 3 goals during the season. 15-0. In the finals Jakovich kept him to 6 touches, 1 mark and no scoring shots. And had 26 touches himself. That is a CHB killing a CHF. 15-15. In the next match he had 21 touches, 15 marks and 5 goals. 30-15. Next game 14 touches and a goal to Jako's 29 touches and 3 Brownlow votes. 30-30. Etc.

Jakovich was the best match-up, but he didn't have his measure in the sense that Carey never performed against us. Overall Carey's average stats (including his dud years at Adelaide) were 16.5 touches, 6.7 marks, 2.7 goals. Against West Coast that was 14.1, 5.7 and 1.8. Any team in the 90s would've taken Carey only getting 14 touches, 6 marks and 2 goals against them let alone the games where Jakovich shut him out completely.

It was a massive highlight of the mid 90s. The fact that Jako reckons he got the better of it overall shows that who on is up for debate. North and WC played 8 times between 1993 and 1996 when Jako did his knee. That was the peak of the rivalry.

Rd 12, 1993 Carey
EF 1993 Jako
Rd 6 1994 Carey
Rd 21 1994 Jako
Rd 3 1995 Jako
Rd 18 1995 draw
SF 1995 draw
Rd 7 1996 Carey

I score it 3-3 with 2 draws over that period. There were 2 games in 1997 also but neither player really dominated. In Rd 16, 1998 Carey had 20 touches, 11 marks and kicked 5 against us at Subi. I remember the game because Jakovich started on him then was dragged and McIntosh moved onto him because Carey was making him look second rate. Was sad to see after so many awesome battles but he had lost the mobility that made him the best CHB in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both beat each other on their day multiple times, after the knee when Duck ran off Jakovich, Jako couldn't keep up.

Carey belted him a few times early in proceedings and a few late in their careers too, Jako had his best patch in the middle.

But it is received wisdom in the dreary endless land of nothingness that is WA that Jakovich "owned" Carey, so I expect people to claim I'm wrong when they emerge from their mining pits or meth labs or whatever it is they do over there.
Well you're right at 50/50 and most rational people would think that, or maybe 55/45 either way, but idk why the rubbish after is necessary.

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare...erName4=&Compare=Compare&SelectedPlayers=123,

this shows them from 93 onwards

92 @ MCG wc 110 nth 66
carey 11k 11m 7hb 1g
jacko 13k 4m 1hb

93 @ waca nth 107 wc 101
carey 12k 11m 9hb 3.1g 1 brownlow
jacko 13k 0m 4hb

93 @ waverly wc 120 nth 69
carey 2k 1m 4hb
jacko 15k 5m 11hb

94 @ mcg nth 86 wc 123
carey 17k 15m 4hb 5.3g 2 brownlow
jacko 10k 2m 3hb

94 @ waca wc 73 nth 64
carey 10k 7m 4hb 1g
jacko 23k 7m 6hb 3 brownlow

95 @ waca wc 91 nth 43
carey 6k 2m 4hb 0.2g
jacko 14k 6m 6hb 3 brownlow

95 @ optus nth 106 wc 44
carey 7k 2m 5hb 2.3g
jacko 10k 3m 9hb

95 @ mcg nth 129 wc 71
carey 10k 3m 3hb 0.3g
jacko 10k 2m 5hb

96 @ subi wc 125 nth 58
carey 14k 10m 5hb 3.4g
jacko 13k 3m 9hb

97 @ mcg nth 98 wc 85
carey 8k 5m 8hb 2g
jacko 18k 7m 5hb

98 @ mcg nth 103 wc 101
carey 14k 5m 4hb 1.2g
jacko 12k 5m 7hb

98 @ subi nth 94 wc 80
carey 18k 11m 2hb 5.1g 3 brownlow
jacko 6k 1m 2hb

99 @ scg nth 84 wc 64
carey 6k 1m 6hb 0g
jacko 4k 2m 4hb

2000 @ mcg wc 154 nth 111
carey 9k 6m 2hb 2.2g
jacko 12k 2m 5hb

2000 @ subi nth 113 wc 52
carey 4k 3m 2hb 2.0g
jacko 23k 6m 2hb

2001 @ subi nth 154 wc 110
carey 13k 5m 5hb 5g
jacko 12k 3m 4hb

didnt do carey at adelaide. pretty sure carey went off injured early in 93 final

I remember the game because Jakovich started on him then was dragged and McIntosh moved onto him because Carey was making him look second rate. Was sad to see after so many awesome battles but he had lost the mobility that made him the best CHB in the comp.

Yeah, I remember that exact moment, after Duck had run him off down the boundary and slotted one and thinking, awwww poor old Jako, the body just won't go with the will anymore.

But it is received wisdom in the dreary endless land of nothingness that is WA that Jakovich "owned" Carey.

51/49 was a comparatively dominant record over Carey in the mid 90s. Used to have 20 touches, 10 marks and kick 5 or 6 for fun.

Yeah, I remember that exact moment, after Duck had run him off down the boundary and slotted one and thinking, awwww poor old Jako, the body just won't go with the will anymore.

Good mammary. IIRC it was around right half forward at the city end of Subiaco. Jako was moving as nimbly as truck taking off from the lights. I'm glad we didn't keep the match up going so Carey ended up kicking 10 or something.

I remember these contests fondly. You used to make sure you watched these games just to enjoy watching two great players play against each other.

I'd say Jackovich just shaded him over their careers, both had wins but I think Jackovich slightly won out across the careers. As many have said, Carey used to regularly try and beat Jackovich one on one, wrestling and the like, which pretty much played into Jacko's hands.

As another poster has said, shame we rarely see these sorts of battles anymore

I remember these contests fondly. You used to make sure you watched these games just to enjoy watching two great players play against each other.

I'd say Jackovich just shaded him over their careers, both had wins but I think Jackovich slightly won out across the careers. As many have said, Carey used to regularly try and beat Jackovich one on one, wrestling and the like, which pretty much played into Jacko's hands.

As another poster has said, shame we rarely see these sorts of battles anymore
Not satisfied with Franklin vs Gibson? One for the ages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back