Opinion Truth, science and a dash of religion

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it has value. It becomes the starting point for further investigation of discovery.

That which is 'untestable' today may be 'testable' tomorrow. There was no way to test for the Higgs Boson in the 1960's.
A better example would be washing your hands.
More specifically, if handling corpses, wash your hands before delivering babies. This was denied for years because it couldn't be proved by Ignaz Semmelweiss who offered the theory.

Germs as a whole probably fall under this catagory.

This is not to deny current scientific thought as we are more advanced scientifically but perhaps we should take note of these lessons

You are the one who has the problem with the perfectly succinct term of 'Post-truth', which is literally what this era of science denial is.
The authority is ******* science, it seeks the truth using a clear, transparent methodology. Even now you are skirting that clear reasoning.
Yes, I do have an issue. That was my point from the start.I’m trying to show why there is an issue, and what the issue is.

Let me ask you a question: is it possible to scientifically justify the scientific methodology?

There is nothing wrong with science. It simply has its limits. Science will go nowhere. It will remain important, of course. It simply has been losing its power as the cultural authority.

Last edited:

There is nothing wrong with science. It simply has its limits. Science will go nowhere. It will remain important, of course. It simply has been losing its power as the cultural authority.

It has never been the cultural authority, or at least not the primary one. Twaddle has been the cultural authority, science has just been trying to correct for it.

It has never been the cultural authority, or at least not the primary one. Twaddle has been the cultural authority, science has just been trying to correct for it.
Mate...

The West understands itself as living in the “Modern Age.” Modernity has been grounded on Reason and Science. It came into being after the authority of the Church became unsustainable. Do you agree?

Now, this Age is in crisis. As I see it, it cannot go on as before. I have no idea what will happen nor when. Something will happen, though: either (a) a new ground replacing the old one; or (b) the emergence of Modern equivalent of Thomas Aquinas, able to give a new meaning to the current ground.

That’s all.

Last edited:
"I believe in a mystic supernatural being that created everything and can not be questioned"

=

wacky alternative theory

"I believe in a mystic supernatural being that created everything and can not be questioned"

=

wacky alternative theory

Don’t question the baby Genus or you’ll burn in the fiery pits of hell.

Mate...

The West understands itself as living in the “Modern Age.” Modernity has been grounded on Reason and Science. It came into being after the authority of the Church became unsustainable. Do you agree?

No. The authority of the church has unfortunately not yet become unsustainable.

No. The authority of the church has unfortunately not yet become unsustainable.
Outside the West, there are communities in which religious authorities are recognized as political authorities. But that is not true in the West. For instance, what does happen when someone is excommunicated?

During the Middle Age, it was practically a “civil death”. Nowadays, it means nothing (politically speaking). One can pretty much laugh and go on with his life.

It’s actually worse. The Church is not even necessary for someone to be recognized as a Christian. That’s how unauthoritative the Church currently is. It doesn’t have authority over its own realm.

You see, the Church (i.e. the Roman Apostolic Catholic Church) is there, and it will always be. Religions are there, and they always will be. As I have said, the same will happen with Science.

However, we are heading towards a time when technocrats (the scientific political authorities) will no longer be able to dictate the limits for political discourse and action, as we have been used to accept. It’s the same process that 500 years ago began to take away the authority of the clergy.

Last edited:
He is NOT a scientist.
Hancock's works propose a connection with a 'mother culture' from which he believes other ancient civilisations sprang.[4] An example of pseudohistory[5] and pseudoarchaeology, his work has neither been peer reviewed nor published in academic journals...LITERALLY THE REQUIREMENT.

Pretty lax requirement.

1615983620477.png

"Menard theorizes that many scientists don’t thoroughly check — or even read — papers once published, expecting that if they’re peer-reviewed, they’re fine. Bad papers are published by a peer-review process that is not adequate to catch them — and once they’re published, they are not penalized for being bad papers."

Comment, Wally May.

Outside the West, there are communities in which religious authorities are recognized as political authorities. But that is not true in the West. For instance, what does happen when someone is excommunicated?

During the Middle Age, it was practically a “civil death”. Nowadays, it means nothing (politically speaking). One can pretty much laugh and go on with his life.

So?

It’s actually worse. The Church is not even necessary for someone to be recognized as a Christian. That’s how unauthoritative the Church currently is. It doesn’t have authority over its own realm.

So?

You see, the Church (i.e. the Roman Apostolic Catholic Church) is there, and it will always be. Religions are there, and they always will be. As I have said, the same will happen with Science.

That's because you haven't learned to tell the stuff, from the other stuff.

However, we are heading towards a time when technocrats (the scientific political authorities) will no longer be able to dictate the limits for political discourse and action, as we have been used to accept. It’s the same process that 500 years ago began to take away the authority of the clergy.

LOL. Let me know when the scientific political authorities actually do "dictate the limits for political discourse and action", then I'll start to worry about a time where they won't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However, we are heading towards a time when technocrats (the scientific political authorities) will no longer be able to dictate the limits for political discourse and action, as we have been used to accept.
By the way, this would be what post-truth is actually about. By "post-truth," one would actually mean "post-technocratic-authority." If so, post-dogma would be a better term for it.

I am not saying dogmas are false. Dogmas are necessary, but they depend on social belief and acceptance to work. What I am saying is that the current dogmas upon which the Modern West was built are losing strength. They are losing their self-evidence, and, thus, they are being questioned.

Just pointing towards the dogmas isn't enough against that. There is a need for re-justification.

"People" eh Ed?

When asked about his press conference comments and the ‘Do Better’ report in general, McGuire said “people took what I said the wrong way”.

“I suppose this is the thing, I’ve thought long and hard about this. How did I miss this? How did I muck this up? How did people take it the wrong way?

“Clearly what I was saying was for 12 months we had been working on this report, it is something that is a big part of my life, everyone in football’s life. We hate racism. We are working so hard on equality.

“Whether you get done for a misstep in a press conference, that’s neither here nor there. The point of the situation was I was very proud that we had taken the step, a step that no one else has done.

"People" eh Ed?

When asked about his press conference comments and the ‘Do Better’ report in general, McGuire said “people took what I said the wrong way”.

“I suppose this is the thing, I’ve thought long and hard about this. How did I miss this? How did I muck this up? How did people take it the wrong way?

“Clearly what I was saying was for 12 months we had been working on this report, it is something that is a big part of my life, everyone in football’s life. We hate racism. We are working so hard on equality.

“Whether you get done for a misstep in a press conference, that’s neither here nor there. The point of the situation was I was very proud that we had taken the step, a step that no one else has done.

We should all thank Collingwood for discovering that racism actually exists

Remove this Banner Ad

Back