Truth thread: Who's still dining out on 2016?

Mar 25, 2008
Victoria's Secret HQ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was thinking today, as much as I bleed red white and blue and ride every bump and tackle and win and loss, I still get a bit of the 'oh well, nevermind, we won a flag in 2016'. Who else has a bit of that going on and is it really a bad thing??? I know I certainly don't want that thought in any of our players or staff, but are us supporters allowed to still for a while?

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
I don't really care how many or how few flags we win per se. Ultimately I just want them to perform to their potential. If this group doesn't win at least one more flag while we have Bontempelli I will be bitterly disappointed because I know they are capable.

I think there's too much chance involved in winning any premiership to be disappointed if there isn't another. If we can consistently put ourselves in a position to win one over the next 5+ years I'd be happy.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I seem to have very different opinions on the whole idea of winning flags from your average supporter. To me, I would take a team that is entertaining to watch week in, week out, over a mind-numbingly boring side that wins a flag (aka Hawthorn during the 3-peat era). I watch sport for entertainment - if I struggle to be entertained by the side I support, I will lose interest. We play a very exciting brand of footy, and so long as it stays that way, I don't mind if we don't win another flag in the next decade or whatever.

2016 was awesome to watch, and I'm really glad I actually got the opportunity to witness our team win a flag finally, but it would've meant so much less to me if we played the type of footy you see from the likes of Hawthorn because I honestly probably wouldn't have bothered watching. I care more about the week-to-week than how many flags the club has won.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am very envious of Geelong who are always around the mark. Cats supporters get bang for their buck because they are always hopeful of surging up the ladder. Its about being entertaining for the whole year and if your team has a massive home ground advantage like Geelong and is always in the 8 then the supporters are going to be happy and satified right up untill Prelim weekend when they bow out again and again....
Us missing the finals after winning the flag was just inexcusable in 2017 - I still can't believe it and the club should feel embarrassed by that.
I still feel like we are a massive contender

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
I seem to have very different opinions on the whole idea of winning flags from your average supporter. To me, I would take a team that is entertaining to watch week in, week out, over a mind-numbingly boring side that wins a flag (aka Hawthorn during the 3-peat era). I watch sport for entertainment - if I struggle to be entertained by the side I support, I will lose interest. We play a very exciting brand of footy, and so long as it stays that way, I don't mind if we don't win another flag in the next decade or whatever.

2016 was awesome to watch, and I'm really glad I actually got the opportunity to witness our team win a flag finally, but it would've meant so much less to me if we played the type of footy you see from the likes of Hawthorn because I honestly probably wouldn't have bothered watching. I care more about the week-to-week than how many flags the club has won.

I actually thought Hawthorn were great to watch. Buddy was possibly the most watchable player in the history of the game. Rioli was fantastic too.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I actually thought Hawthorn were great to watch. Buddy was possibly the most watchable player in the history of the game. Rioli was fantastic too.
They had exciting forwards, but the way they moved the ball around the ground through uncontested short kick/mark style was just awful. Without Buddy/Rioli, they'd have been unwatchable. But that's subjective so I can understand if others liked them more than I did

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
Yep, still smiling inside. I still watch the prelim regularly (mainly coz I was there so it means a bit more).
2016 totally lifted the weight of long term failure, of course Id love to see more flags, and Im confident I will. This group will totally under-perform if they dont deliver at least another one. But at the moment I dont have the hunger for success I had pre '16
A lifetime of following the dogs with perennial hopes of success (despite the reality) means Im expecting a dynasty over the next decade, the team has never been better, or deeper, across the board. Its mostly a new squad post 16 so I expect my satisfaction isnt present at the club.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For me it will never be topped, regardless of how many premierships we might win in the future.

It was the ultimate fairytale and one of the greatest sporting achievements in any code in any part of the world.

From the 62 year drought, to the adversity through injuries, to being underdogs in every final, to being the only team ever to win 4 straight finals, to the emotion and intensity of that prelim, to the dogfight against those seasoned pro's in the swannies and finally cracking them halfway through the last, to what felt like the entire nation riding us home, to Bevo giving Bob his medal...none of that will ever be matched.

On a personal level, I was resigned to the fact that I would never see a flag in my lifetime...as was my father who was born in '56. To hear him sobbing his heart out to me over the phone from the 'G was a moment I'll never forget. I have teenage children myself now who have zero interest in football, so for me I couldn't care less if we win another. I got to see one and it was the greatest of all time!

I got the Victory Pack of 2016 season highlights and the finals replays, but haven't watched any in the last three years (if my memory serves me well). It stings a bit, knowing that (1) we missed the finals the following two seasons, (2) Boyd, Picken and Smith retired prematurely and (3) several of our premiership players are running around for other clubs now :(

Shane Biggs.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
For me it will never be topped, regardless of how many premierships we might win in the future.

It was the ultimate fairytale and one of the greatest sporting achievements in any code in any part of the world.

From the 62 year drought, to the adversity through injuries, to being underdogs in every final, to being the only team ever to win 4 straight finals, to the emotion and intensity of that prelim, to the dogfight against those seasoned pro's in the swannies and finally cracking them halfway through the last, to what felt like the entire nation riding us home, to Bevo giving Bob his medal...none of that will ever be matched.

On a personal level, I was resigned to the fact that I would never see a flag in my lifetime...as was my father who was born in '56. To hear him sobbing his heart out to me over the phone from the 'G was a moment I'll never forget. I have teenage children myself now who have zero interest in football, so for me I couldn't care less if we win another. I got to see one and it was the greatest of all time!

I got to see one and there will never be one like it!

Fair to say that mankind peaked Sept/Oct 2016. Society is general has fallen in a hole since then. No really one cares about anything, anymore.
In that case I think we have a duty to mankind to win another flag. Dog knows the human race needs a lift.

Dogs - Man's best friend. :)

The entire month of finals in 2016 was.the best month of my then nearly 50 years, will never be matched.

Now however every season whether it be the dogs or in local footy I want to win as it sure beats the hollow feeling of not winning.

Only difference now is I have actually seen us win one

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That month was the most glorious month of football for any supporter, it washed away 1997, 2008, 2009 and 2010, especially 97 and 2009. Our team created history that will never be broken, winning two interstate finals. Have a look at the Vic teams who have never won an interstate final, and you will realise how elite we were. You realise Geelong has never won an interstate final.

I would like to win another one, because i would do things differently on GF day, it was all a blur the whole day, I just didn’t know what to expect, now I do.

I was born in 1954. At times I thought I would never see a dogs premiership in my lifetime. To be at the MCG with my son, for those who appreciate the emotional time, it was one of those days we will never forget.
We travelled from interstate, we were at the gf parade then gf day at the "G".
We were still at the ground at 9pm then off to the Pullman, arriving back at sth bank about 6am in time for a replay .
Hopefully we will achieve another flag with this group. They are so tough to win, however as long as we are in finals , pressing for top 4 and playing our attacking brand that's all I can hope for.
Regards
Stephen

Shane Biggs.

Never forget.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The entire month of finals in 2016 was.the best month of my then nearly 50 years, will never be matched.

Now however every season whether it be the dogs or in local footy I want to win as it sure beats the hollow feeling of not winning.

Only difference now is I have actually seen us win one

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have a shitty cider every now and then to remind me of the night we drank Spotless dry of beer!

As you say the whole month or so was just so unreal. I will be always grateful to my wife who encouraged me on the Monday morning before the Prelim to go, I was tossing up after having been to 7 losing Prelims in a row. My cousin lives in Sydneys West so he and his sons came with me and I almost had one of the boys in tears in the Uber on the way talking about our history and the 7 losses so much so that they became Doggies fans for the day.

I went to all the games except the Perth one and whilst the GF was fantastic I just can’t go past that feeling when the ball was floating into Dixon’s arms and you realised that this is bloody well actually happening and it’s not a dream.

in fact there is a couple of tears on my iPad now as i think about it

Back