Truth thread: Who's still dining out on 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

I look at it this way.

Yes, it was unbelievable, amazing, fantastic, and all four finals were special in their own way and gave me and everyone that supports the club incredible joy and lifetime memories.

For years prior 2016, I and many others had the mantra of “I just want to see one flag before I die”. I’ll be forever grateful that I have seen one, that my grandmother has now seen two, and that all my family and friends who waited for years to see one have seen it.

However, I also reckon that the core of the list that delivered the flag are still at the club and that if they didn’t win another, it’d be a waste.

I know that the club, coaches and said players don’t have the philosophy of “Oh well, we already won one and it was magical, so we don’t give a rats ass if we win another one”

But still, since 2016 we haven’t really looked like getting close to our 3rd premiership with what is a very good group of players.

In summary: 2016 was unbelievable, spectacular, amazing. We can win another one and maybe two with these players, so let’s go for it.

I have to wonder, if we hadn't won in 2016 and the following years had gone the same way: would so many posters still be disappointed where we are now? Or would we be excited at our potential like Brisbane/St Kilda/Freo supporters?

I don't think I'll be around for our next premiership, but I'm OK with that. Being at the MCG that day and the Cubs winning the World Series a month and a day later was more than enough for me. Winning again would be a bonus. Watching the young players like Bailey Smith, Aaron Naughton and this year's Jamarra Ugle-Hagan set to play is what excites me.

Any time I see any coverage of the Grand Final I practically have to pinch myself to believe that it really happened and that I was there. It still brings tears of joy to my eyes.

It's fading...I even moved my grand final poster from the dining room into my study last weekend. The wife thought it being up for almost 5 yrs was enough :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As much as I enjoyed that Grand Final win and seeing all my relatives relieved and happy knowing they’ve seen a flag, It wasn’t enough for me.

Too many bulldogs teams have gotten so close. I have more years ahead of me than behind me and I don’t want to see years of perennial failure.

This team we have has the most talent across the board in our history. I’m talking multiple flag potential. And I do not want to see it go to waste.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back