Trying to loose weight while working 12 hours fifo

Remove this Banner Ad

themightydoggies

All Australian
Nov 16, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i just joined up to a gym in Darwin, I work fifo, anyone give any tips to keep the motivation up?? I've been twice and I am sore as, during work I cramp up with all the physical activity I do during the day.. Anyone have any tips to keep pushing??

Depending on what you do, if you do enough physical work to burn enough calories (equivalent to a proper workout, as such), losing weight may just be a matter of controlling your diet and getting consistent meals and rest.

Diet and hydration (ultra-important in the Darwin climate) can also affect cramping, too.

Last edited:
i just joined up to a gym in Darwin, I work fifo, anyone give any tips to keep the motivation up?? I've been twice and I am sore as, during work I cramp up with all the physical activity I do during the day.. Anyone have any tips to keep pushing??

Pickle juice prevents cramping immediately but ultimately you'd prefer to not cramp in the first place.
Sounds like you lack a prosper electrolyte balance if you consistently cramping , 2-3 grams of pink Himalayan salt daily will help correct the balance , .5/1g upon rising, & so will a good eating habits which you obviously don't have if carrying excess weight.
Processed foods strip minerals/ electrolytes from your body.
Coconut Water contains natural occurring electrolytes so maybe dilute it with water n sip on it during your work hours.
People that eat foods rich in vitamins n minerals don't experience cramping, funny that!

Intermitted fasting would work well with FIFO workers on irregular rosters.

Gym is more so for strength & muscle gain not weightloss, what you eat determines your body weight, althought weightloss can be a side effect from an intense gym session.

Diet is King
Exercise/gym is Queen.

Thanks for that guys, I will let you know how I go this week, was just tough going in the heat. Love the feedback. No pain no gain I guess

bro how often are you exercising? I'm in a similar boat to you. I had to make sure i was recovering properly until my next workout.

I achieved this by either dropping a workout or deloading.

Initial exercise will cause DOMS if it is unfamiliar. The more you work out the more your body will adapt so the initial cramping & soreness will subside in time.

firstly get yourself some 'shotz' or other proper sport type electrolytes, not squincher or crap they give you on site and get some good protein powder that helps with targeting fatty chains, i use the kiwi stuff, horleys ripped.. its whey.
second commit, make it routine and space out your work outs.
third, eat properly.
fourth, find time for some running or cycling if they have a bike in the gym.
I did this for nearly 4 years on site and it just becomes habit. Went to the wet mess about 2 times in four years. anti social yes? fat? no. ;-)

Fifo is not is not conjusive to a healthy life style. Ive beeim doing it for for 4 years now ,living off around 5 hourse average a day of sleep for 2 weeks. The long hours tend to affect your work outs in regard to energy and intensity. Many people over undulge at meal times,and face an uphill battlebto keep their weight down. In my experience it is hard to find a healthy meal because generally the cooks lace the veggies in oil and chess in what i guess is an attempt to get people to eat veggies.

The combo of lack of sleep, long hours, poor food and large rosters makes dedication and discipline all that more important

Remove this Banner Ad

Back