TSL licenses 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

So Scott Wade and Company at AFL Tasmania will be running four new teams in 2014 One based at Kingston, One based at Hobart, One based at Launceston, and one based at Devonport. Someone should “Tell him he's dreaming” In the words of Darryl Kerrigan .
Seeing that they could hardly run one team in the Tassie Devils get ready for another Cluster Fcuk from Argyle Street

Me thinks the public will now vote 'en mass. With their feet & wallets. Then their is the club sponsors, will they bother?. Lets just see how they run a competition with no supporters & no volunteers. Just imagine Bill Sorrel serving savs in the kiosk.
Sauce stains:p

It will be interesting to see if the NTFL takes South Launceston. I reckon with Devonport dropping back into that league, adding South to the competition keeps the team count even. But the league will have to weigh up the travel time to go to Launceston, so will be interesting.

It will be interesting to see if the NTFL takes South Launceston. I reckon with Devonport dropping back into that league, adding South to the competition keeps the team count even. But the league will have to weigh up the travel time to go to Launceston, so will be interesting.

South Launceston want to join the NTFA not the NTFL like before the SWL some might say that is like dropping two divisions, although the gap in standard might not be as great as it was 10 years ago.

South Launceston want to join the NTFA not the NTFL like before the SWL some might say that is like dropping two divisions, although the gap in standard might not be as great as it was 10 years ago.

Well, when you look at it, the NTFL is more like the old-school NWFU again and the NTFA has obviously got stronger given that they only lost to the SFL rep side by 2 points this year, so on closer inspection I would say the Dogs are really only dropping one tier.

Looks like I'll be paying more attention to the NTFA next season :p

Grew up watching the NTFA with Deloraine, George Town, Scottsdale, Longford...only two teams missing from that lineup...funny how things can go full circle...

Grew up watching the NTFA with Deloraine, George Town, Scottsdale, Longford...only two teams missing from that lineup...funny how things can go full circle...
When I was a kid it was City-South, East Launceston, Launceston, Longford, North Launceston and Scottsdale.
Were Deloraine and George Town even in the NTFA before the "greater northern league" which morphed into the NTFL before east and west split again?

They joined in 1984. Accurately, I grew up with the 6 team comp too, and can vaguely remember the GNFL in 1981-82. The NTFL started in 1987...East and City merged after round 7 in 1986, and they averaged out the WL and percentages to continue the rest of the season as South...both South and North were weakened by the TFL, and finished bottom, while Deloraine and George Town were able to capitalise and made the finals...

Saw the article today saying most of the Dogs would probably join the new team, and thought "sweet"...might have someone to barrack for in the TSL anyway...

They joined in 1984. Accurately, I grew up with the 6 team comp too, and can vaguely remember the GNFL in 1981-82. The NTFL started in 1987...East and City merged after round 7 in 1986, and they averaged out the WL and percentages to continue the rest of the season as South...both South and North were weakened by the TFL, and finished bottom, while Deloraine and George Town were able to capitalise and made the finals...

Saw the article today saying most of the Dogs would probably join the new team, and thought "sweet"...might have someone to barrack for in the TSL anyway...

I thought you were a South Launy supporter? They new entity will be controlled & funded by AFLTas. So have you done a U turn on Wade etc? Best buddies now? Geez they split South by buying them a team & then trying to use them to once again amalgamate into something else. At least their supporters have some spine.

I was an East supporter. Been there, done that. I don't give a f### who controls a new side, and if history is anything to go by, there's nothing to suggest it would be a backward step financially...

According to your tongue in cheek logic, you're confused, there's no backflip here. I barrack for the South Launceston Bulldogs in the TSL, who are Wade's pet according to you and a few others. I fully intend to set up my info sources, from my faraway vantage point here in Qld, squarely on the NTFA for 2014, but I'm also going to take a keen interest in the development of the current players if Thorp does indeed manage to hang onto them and take the list into a new side relatively intact. So once again, I'm supporting a team propped up by Scott Wade - nothing's changed...!

I was an East supporter. Been there, done that. I don't give a f### who controls a new side, and if history is anything to go by, there's nothing to suggest it would be a backward step financially...

According to your tongue in cheek logic, you're confused, there's no backflip here. I barrack for the South Launceston Bulldogs in the TSL, who are Wade's pet according to you and a few others. I fully intend to set up my info sources, from my faraway vantage point here in Qld, squarely on the NTFA for 2014, but I'm also going to take a keen interest in the development of the current players if Thorp does indeed manage to hang onto them and take the list into a new side relatively intact. So once again, I'm supporting a team propped up by Scott Wade - nothing's changed...!

Its interesting how the local South Launy members & some directors have made a statement about their club & its community place. Good luck to them. I think they have shown some real guts. I hope they are successful at building rebuilding good local club in the NTFA.
It will be interesting to see what North & Launy do as they were not happy with the amalgamation efforts as it appears it will adversely affect them both.

Hi Guys, long time reader of these forums but never had anything to say (not particularly internet savvy). But i'm completely fed up with what is happening to the game in this state. Also know i'm preaching to the converted here but i've put together a full rap sheet of what has gone on up at Argyle St under this bloke's reign. Frightening reading really

Under Wade’s watch:
Footy in Tasmania is at its lowest ever ebb.
The Tasmanian community is completely disillusioned with the current administration and in particular the toxic leadership that Scott Wade has brought to the role for more than ten years.
Despite all the stuff ups and division he has been responsible for and for tarnishing the AFL’s brand Mr Wade carries on regardless like a runaway wrecking ball unaccountable to anyone or for anything.
Here are some of Mr Wade’s less than glorious achievements.
· Failed first statewide league
· North Melbourne’s failed alignment with Devils
· Appointment of Daryn Creswell without any due diligence, resulting in massive amounts of issues including Cresswell leaving out of the blue owing people (including colleagues) thousands of dollars that he’d stolen to gamble, even though Geelong’s Matthew Scarlett had publicly stated in the Herald Sun (prior to Cresswell being appointed to coach the Devils) that if Cresswell ever coached Geelong he (Scarlett) and a number of players would leave.
· Failure of the Devils which was seen as a replacement for high level footy in the state.
· Removal of the Mariners from the TAC cup
· Removal of the reserves comp robbing teams of future volunteers
· No on ground resources to help clubs
· No live TSL footy following decision not to contribute 50k to live telecasts
· Extremely poor marketing of current statewide league
· Poor crowds at TSL matches and complete lack of interest for the state’s highest level competition, in fact AFL Tas refuses to release crowd numbers they are so poor
· Complete lack of transparency regarding the Hobart licence issue in that both Hobart and North Hobart were both invited to tender for the licence (and poured considerable money and time and effort into creating bids) and then at the 11th hour were told that they would be forced into merging.
· Loss of a famous clubs possibly forever in Hobart and another not being able to compete in the highest level competition in the state despite it being the second most successful city based football team in Australia and Tasmania’s most famous club – 28 premierships (North Hobart)
· Players and officials gambling on the statewide football league last year.
· Criticism of Hawthorn despite Hawthorn doing a great job in the state and providing AFL Tas with a $150k grant a year to grow grass roots footy.
· Current divisive issue with South Launceston and Prospect which has led to South quitting the statewide league despite them being flag favourites.
Mr Wade said at the end of last year that “we may have lost a generation of supporters”. Well you are right Mr Wade and what a shocking indictment on a failed administration. The reason why people are completely disillusioned with footy at present in Tasmania is because of the awful, toxic leadership you bring to the position and the complete failure of the board to make you accountable for the mess footy is in.

^ Begs the question, who the hell is this bloke accountable to and HOW IS HE STILL IN A JOB!?! If he was the head of a major company, do you reckon if this was their track record they'd still be given glowing recommendations by head office. If it wasnt all so sad it'd be laughable...

Hi Guys, long time reader of these forums but never had anything to say (not particularly internet savvy). But i'm completely fed up with what is happening to the game in this state. Also know i'm preaching to the converted here but i've put together a full rap sheet of what has gone on up at Argyle St under this bloke's reign. Frightening reading really

Under Wade’s watch:
Footy in Tasmania is at its lowest ever ebb.
The Tasmanian community is completely disillusioned with the current administration and in particular the toxic leadership that Scott Wade has brought to the role for more than ten years.
Despite all the stuff ups and division he has been responsible for and for tarnishing the AFL’s brand Mr Wade carries on regardless like a runaway wrecking ball unaccountable to anyone or for anything.
Here are some of Mr Wade’s less than glorious achievements.
· Failed first statewide league
· North Melbourne’s failed alignment with Devils
· Appointment of Daryn Creswell without any due diligence, resulting in massive amounts of issues including Cresswell leaving out of the blue owing people (including colleagues) thousands of dollars that he’d stolen to gamble, even though Geelong’s Matthew Scarlett had publicly stated in the Herald Sun (prior to Cresswell being appointed to coach the Devils) that if Cresswell ever coached Geelong he (Scarlett) and a number of players would leave.
· Failure of the Devils which was seen as a replacement for high level footy in the state.
· Removal of the Mariners from the TAC cup
· Removal of the reserves comp robbing teams of future volunteers
· No on ground resources to help clubs
· No live TSL footy following decision not to contribute 50k to live telecasts
· Extremely poor marketing of current statewide league
· Poor crowds at TSL matches and complete lack of interest for the state’s highest level competition, in fact AFL Tas refuses to release crowd numbers they are so poor
· Complete lack of transparency regarding the Hobart licence issue in that both Hobart and North Hobart were both invited to tender for the licence (and poured considerable money and time and effort into creating bids) and then at the 11th hour were told that they would be forced into merging.
· Loss of a famous clubs possibly forever in Hobart and another not being able to compete in the highest level competition in the state despite it being the second most successful city based football team in Australia and Tasmania’s most famous club – 28 premierships (North Hobart)
· Players and officials gambling on the statewide football league last year.
· Criticism of Hawthorn despite Hawthorn doing a great job in the state and providing AFL Tas with a $150k grant a year to grow grass roots footy.
· Current divisive issue with South Launceston and Prospect which has led to South quitting the statewide league despite them being flag favourites.
Mr Wade said at the end of last year that “we may have lost a generation of supporters”. Well you are right Mr Wade and what a shocking indictment on a failed administration. The reason why people are completely disillusioned with footy at present in Tasmania is because of the awful, toxic leadership you bring to the position and the complete failure of the board to make you accountable for the mess footy is in.

^ Begs the question, who the hell is this bloke accountable to and HOW IS HE STILL IN A JOB!?! If he was the head of a major company, do you reckon if this was their track record they'd still be given glowing recommendations by head office. If it wasnt all so sad it'd be laughable...

great work first timer
Three of tassie board members ,S clayton, B Gale and J.Henderson all conveniently live in Melb'
are unaware/not interested in the day to day operations of the TSL

Wade and Dominic Baker (kingston boy) spent $500,000 of Tassie footy money on the kingston twin
ovals ( project).It should be noted, Cricket Tas spent nothing, by spending this money ,without any long term plan, ment they are now forced to introduce a kingston team when the comp ,can't sustain itself. thats why they tried to force Hobart to relocate their ,which now sees the demise of HFC

HFC has had its brand , totally ruined, no players,supporters or sponsors will come near us.
even thou we have the strongest balance sheet ,of all the clubs in the TSL
The Mercury newspaper aided and abetted this,thanks to Wadey reporter mates Brett Stubbs
,kingston fc member ,and Adam Smith and James Bresenhan ,both Clarence footy club members

Finally , the extra cash handed out to Clarence ,lauderdale,Devonport ,Burnie and South Launceston
Clubs,does not leave a level playing field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you think about it, he is...

According to the job description given to him by the AFL, he's managing Tasmanian football as a draft avenue to the AFL comp, which is what the Devils were for the last couple of years of their existence after North Melbourne. If Wade were to go, another with the same agenda would take his place...so nothing would change...

It's a direction that hasn't really altered since the start, although some of the projects have within it. At the end of the day though, the structure of the comp, the location of the teams and the composition of the lineups is the model they're asking for...because of this, some extra funding is going their way...

So it's not a dissatisfaction with Wade that's the real issue here, it's the AFL itself. What's interesting is that club preservation, crowd numbers, memberships, AFL funding of marquee players, zoning the draw, anything you can think of that has been pushed in one direction for the AFL comp, is pointing in exactly the opposite directon for the TSL...that's where we stand in the grand scheme of things, folks...

According to the job description given to him by the AFL, he's managing Tasmanian football as a draft avenue to the AFL comp, which is what the Devils were for the last couple of years of their existence after North Melbourne. If Wade were to go, another with the same agenda would take his place...so nothing would change...

It's a direction that hasn't really altered since the start, although some of the projects have within it. At the end of the day though, the structure of the comp, the location of the teams and the composition of the lineups is the model they're asking for...because of this, some extra funding is going their way...

So it's not a dissatisfaction with Wade that's the real issue here, it's the AFL itself. What's interesting is that club preservation, crowd numbers, memberships, AFL funding of marquee players, zoning the draw, anything you can think of that has been pushed in one direction for the AFL comp, is pointing in exactly the opposite directon for the TSL...that's where we stand in the grand scheme of things, folks...

Tassie has always produced players. The best footballers comefrom parents with sporting genes. So whats the point of pulling clubs apart. It isn't going to produce any more footy babbies!
Creating turmoil is just putting the public offside. Volunteer, Supporters, sponsors will just walk away
All clubs want to give every player the best opportunity to improve. The best of them go through the mariners training. So again whats the point of tearing the historic fabric of football apart?
People on BF show concern that the oldest VFL club is in trouble & don't want to lose it. So why isn't Wadeconcerned wit destroying North Hobart footy club. formed in 1881. ???????????
As 'Juicywiggle' pointed out, AFL Tas has a public record of doing things then walking away from the mess. Who will clean this mess up?

This was ages ago, last year or before...

I'd be very interested to know where the clubs in the NEAFL stand in relation to all of this in Tassie. Up here, the senior league seems to change its teams every second year...Sherwood Magpies have been in the top league and then out again 3 times in the two decades I've lived here. Both Tassie and the NEAFL are controlled by AFL representatives and are considered developmental areas. The big difference seems to be that noone is powerful enough or the public interest isn't great enough to make an argument against interference up here (Southport is a moot point, because they're too powerful financially to bother worrying, and 4 of the other sides are AFL reserves teams)...

The North Hobart guy is right to be miffed, right in stating where the lifeblood of the teams is, and basically in the right because somewhere along the line the suits have forgotten the reason why we started playing footy in the first place. But he is demonstrating a naivity if he thinks the answer to this situation is for Scott Wade to "grow up"...I'm sure since this video was taken, he's realised he's not taking on Wade the man, he's taking on Wade the AFL representative...

I'd be interested to know if AFLQ have gotten rid of reserves footy? Have they forced amalgamations? Have they taken a local 2nd division team & put them in the top league?
Who operates like AFL Tas? Who slices & dices 130 year old clubs like confetti?
Not only who, but why? whats the bloody point?
Why coulnt the just pick either NH or H to be in the TSL? Why treat SL insuch a bullying manner. Why pay some successful clubs to pay players & nothing to help others?

There are definitely cases of teams being promoted from much lower divisions as a result of being in a "growth" area, like Aspley and Redlands. Couldn't really comment on NSW, but the newer Sydney teams seem to have been promoted with a purpose in mind, to join the original NEAFL teams who were all from Canberra. The admin doesn't really need to slice and dice up here, because the teams are perfectly capable of tripping over their own feet. Windsor, Zillmere and all of their variants, Mayne, the ones from the Sunshine Coast, Sherwood, Coorparoo, all come and go...the only constants are Mt Gravatt, Morningside and Southport...there have been that many incarnations of top level Qld footy that it's almost impossible to track them, and that's just in the 17 years I've been up here...

When you stand back a second and look at the scene, all of the "atrocities" being committed by AFL Tas have an escape clause for every club - noone's got a gun to anyone's head saying they have to stay. Devonport and South have both elected to go voluntarily, and for both it's down to financial pressures which aren't the fault of AFL Tas - those problems were there in 2009. In both cases, the two teams have failed to live up to criteria they need to meet to stay in. North Hobart and Hobart are geographically a problem for AFL Tas, two teams almost sharing the same place...but noone has said they must merge for survival per se, it's just to stay in the TSL...

So...my question...what's the difference between our two favourite teams not being 100% welcome in the top flight, and any of the Melbourne sides who you actively and daily seek to have relegated to a lower Victorian league...? North Melbourne can move to the VAFA and still keep its identity, but so can Hobart. Too many teams in a centralised capital - apparently that's what AFL Tas think of the Demons and Tigers. South aren't paying the bills to everyone's satisfaction - however, noone's trying to kill us and we have the power and blessing to merge with at least a little bit of self determination - Fitzroy didn't...

There are definitely cases of teams being promoted from much lower divisions as a result of being in a "growth" area, like Aspley and Redlands. Couldn't really comment on NSW, but the newer Sydney teams seem to have been promoted with a purpose in mind, to join the original NEAFL teams who were all from Canberra. The admin doesn't really need to slice and dice up here, because the teams are perfectly capable of tripping over their own feet. Windsor, Zillmere and all of their variants, Mayne, the ones from the Sunshine Coast, Sherwood, Coorparoo, all come and go...the only constants are Mt Gravatt, Morningside and Southport...there have been that many incarnations of top level Qld footy that it's almost impossible to track them, and that's just in the 17 years I've been up here...

When you stand back a second and look at the scene, all of the "atrocities" being committed by AFL Tas have an escape clause for every club - noone's got a gun to anyone's head saying they have to stay. Devonport and South have both elected to go voluntarily, and for both it's down to financial pressures which aren't the fault of AFL Tas - those problems were there in 2009. In both cases, the two teams have failed to live up to criteria they need to meet to stay in. North Hobart and Hobart are geographically a problem for AFL Tas, two teams almost sharing the same place...but noone has said they must merge for survival per se, it's just to stay in the TSL...

So...my question...what's the difference between our two favourite teams not being 100% welcome in the top flight, and any of the Melbourne sides who you actively and daily seek to have relegated to a lower Victorian league...? North Melbourne can move to the VAFA and still keep its identity, but so can Hobart. Too many teams in a centralised capital - apparently that's what AFL Tas think of the Demons and Tigers. South aren't paying the bills to everyone's satisfaction - however, noone's trying to kill us and we have the power and blessing to merge with at least a little bit of self determination - Fitzroy didn't...

Launceston city has two teams, Clarence city has 2 teams. These haven't changed. Again why would they try some kind of amalgamation instead of picking one team to represent Hobart city. They both applied in their own rite. So why this mess? Just pick one. It aint rocket science.
As far as Devonport goes, they joined the TSL with a huge debt which AFLTas knew about. Also AFLTas bankrolled South by paying for management, a coach & a couple of decent players. So they knew the financial situatation, they paid the manager!! The decision to elevate Prospect club who were just a junior club 2 years ago is just one big question! Why? What does a 2nddivision club in the NTFA offer the TSL that South couldn't?
We look to have 4 new entities in the TSL next year. All 4 will be heavily supported by AFL Tas. How do the others compete against AFLTas? What happens when they are all financial basket cases? Running 10 junior development clubs costs money, it doesn't make any.
I'm just totally bemused with the current mess. Even the lickspittle mercury asked that question today. TSL General Manager Tweedle Dee made his usual inspiring response, uhh? who me? um, ah, all is well.

They did what all great footy visionaries do when deciding on expansion, just like they did with GWS, and looked at a map. Get onto Google Earth and go to Launceston, and see how big the writing for Prospect is - you'd think it was the most important suburb in the city...

It's an interesting difference in approach from 1986 to 2009. What they call learning lessons from the past (not allowing clubs to rack up huge debts) is transforming into a safe welfare culture based upon funding from way above. The entities won't fold that easily, but they just won't be allowed to go nuts on spending to cause that in the first place. The trade off is the footy...

They did what all great footy visionaries do when deciding on expansion, just like they did with GWS, and looked at a map. Get onto Google Earth and go to Launceston, and see how big the writing for Prospect is - you'd think it was the most important suburb in the city...

It's an interesting difference in approach from 1986 to 2009. What they call learning lessons from the past (not allowing clubs to rack up huge debts) is transforming into a safe welfare culture based upon funding from way above. The entities won't fold that easily, but they just won't be allowed to go nuts on spending to cause that in the first place. The trade off is the footy...

I was shown the original demographic information they used to give clubs their own zones. I think they tried to balance all that out. Dumping SL because the members wouldnt be bullied from above is more the issue.
Why 2nd division NTFA club Prospect? That is the question.
As far as funding is concerned, it hasnt helped Devonport who despite getting lots of funding have still failed to thrive. Also why fund Clarence & Burnie in excess of some lesser clubs? Why gut the reserves players out of clubs? It has cost them a lot. How do you develop a sustainable business model when a big chunk of your adult players have been kicked out, plus their friends & families?
None of that helps the development of young talent. It just means some of them get to play senior footy when they are not ready for it, or havent had to work for it.

The decision to elevate Prospect club who were just a junior club 2 years ago is just one big question! Why? What does a 2nddivision club in the NTFA offer the TSL that South couldn't?

Great point, I don't think people realise this fact ( especially south Tas ) AFL Tas have dumped a club with 150 years of history and brought in a club that is 2 years old which has no history and a handful of supporters ?

Just on another note, this could cause massive fighting against AFL TAS, the new Kingborough side who many thought where going to be the hawks, is looking likely to retain the current Tigers emblem but a wearing a new jumper. If this is the case Hobart FC have every right to demand action against the clowns at Argyle St

The decision to elevate Prospect club who were just a junior club 2 years ago is just one big question! Why? What does a 2nddivision club in the NTFA offer the TSL that South couldn't?
quote]

AFL Tas could have changed the boundaries without altering the license holders. I think the Junior club at Prospect is more of a reason for them being selected rather than the Senior club. The Junior club is the biggest in the north and looks to have been fairly successful in the last few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back