Society/Culture Tucker Carlson - Fired from Fox. Sacked. Terminated. Given the heave-ho.

Mara Singha

Cancelled
Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle

John Oliver on Sunday used most of his HBO show to link Tucker Carlson to white supremacy, claiming that Carlson uses his popular Fox News show to share dangerous messages.

[...]

Explaining first how Carlson got into the business of print journalism before "failing upward" to arrive on TV, Oliver played several video and audio clips of Carlson through the decades to prove his belief that Carlson has become “the most prominent vessel in America for white supremacist talking points.”

From a clip of Carlson on the talk-radio show The Bubba the Love Sponge Show, where he said racist statements like, “Iraq is a crappy place filled with a bunch of, you know, semi-literate primitive monkeys,” to former KKK leader David Duke praising Carlson's subtle messages of white supremacy, Oliver said he believes Carlson's rhetoric is being heard loud and clear.

“He is scared of a country that ‘looks nothing like the one he grew up in’ because diversity ‘isn’t our strength,’ immigrants make our country ‘poorer, dirtier and more divided,’ and any attempt to change that culture is an attack on Western civilization. All of which is really just a long way of saying that when Tucker asks, ‘What is white supremacy?’ the answer is: basically that," Oliver said of Carlson's own words. "It’s a belief that in a country where white people are dominant, that’s all down to their natural and innate abilities, and any effort to change that is an affront to the natural order of things.”

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
He's good at what he does because he mixes in the racial messaging with truths about the increasing economic inequalities of society. Without that, he doesn't have the vehicle required to push any racial message.

I think that's what's hardest for most people to understand when it comes to Trump, and all other right-wing figures. It's things like financial insecurity that pushes people toward them rather than there always having been a pre-existing bigotry.

Mara Singha

Cancelled
Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's good at what he does because he mixes in the racial messaging with truths about the increasing economic inequalities of society. Without that, he doesn't have the vehicle required to push any racial message.

I think that's what's hardest for most people to understand when it comes to Trump, and all other right-wing figures. It's things like financial insecurity that pushes people toward them rather than there always having been a pre-existing bigotry.

Not many downtrodden paying a cable/satellite subscription to watch Tucker Carlson in 2021 America.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

What? Science has repeatedly shown that everyone has a pre existing bigotry. It’s evolutionary beneficial in a hunter gathering society to have one. We have to learn to not be a bigot. Most unintelligent/uneducated people don’t learn this so remain attracted to bigots.

inequality isn’t really a reason that attracts most people to trump. Trump claims he will bring back unskilled jobs. Its a lie but you can see the attraction for some so you are right on that point. But trump also is the one that takes away free health care, keeps minimum wages down, reduces funding for public schools and lowers taxes for the rich. That’s a big negative for reducing inequality.

in the end the economics angle is rather mute. People vote for trump because of cultural and nationalist reasons. Not economic.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
He had Candace Owens on his show the other day. Is she a white supremacist too?

John Oliver doesn't have a shred of credibility while he ignores the debacle that is the Biden presidency.
Tucker Carlson doesn't have a shred of credibility while he ignores the debacle that was the Trump presidency.

See how boring that is? It offers nothing and just made me sound dumb, right?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

John Oliver doesn't have a shred of credibility while he ignores the debacle that is the Biden presidency.
What is the debacle with Biden’s presidency?

he is doing extremely well with vaccine deployment. While most other countries are dramatically failing to reach their targets he is exceeding them.

The us economy is going to have its strongest economic growth this year since world war 2. Forecasts for us gdp this year have been upgraded dramatically since he took office.

it looks like an unbelievably good start.

Apr 1, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC

Candace "if Hitler just kept it to Germany, OK, fine" Owens is a top-notch grifter. A perfect fit for his show.

The classic conservative trick of finding that couple of black people on your show, take a photo and pretend you ain't racist

Who's still stupid enough to fall for that trick?
Shitloads of people.

LFTWNG11

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
S.S. Lazio
The classic conservative trick of finding that couple of black people on your show, take a photo and pretend you ain't racist

Just a couple of posts above yours...

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

It's the classic liberal trick to try to turn every tragedy into a race issue - for their own advantage, whist also dividing the community. Apparently millions fall for that trick.

For example the recent brothel shootings in Atlanta.
"Joe Biden" tweeted - We don’t yet know the motive, but what we do know is that the Asian-American community is feeling enormous pain tonight. The recent attacks against the community are un-American. They must stop.​
Kamala Harris was also super quick to assume the recent brothel shootings were racially motivated, expressing her support to the Asian American community "We stand with you and understand how this has frightened and shocked and outraged all people".​
Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Atlanta said in a statement. “While the details of the shootings are still emerging, the broader context cannot be ignored, The shootings happened under the trauma of increasing violence against Asian Americans nationwide, fueled by white supremacy and systemic racism.”​

The details were still emerging and no one knew the motive - but hey, why stop that making it about white supremacy and systemic racism.

Turns out the guy was a regular at these brothels with Asian women and had a sex addiction, and apparently lashed out at what he saw as sources of temptation.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003

The weirdest, but ultimately (and very predictably) short lived political alliance in recent times.

TELEMMGLPICT000177551748_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqHVTgFvaukf5kTUkAkiDHlfebxCCKfKZQdFju1dFJhiY.jpeg

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The other day he had that renowned white supremacist Naomi Wolff on the show. She had recently been deplatformed by Twitter for expressing a view that there should be a bipartisan approach to protecting free speech. She highlighted Big Tech's influence in the virus and lockdown process. And cited how Bezos, Gates, Zuckerberg and Dorsey have all gained by tens of billions in the last year.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
serials dude ... gethereld.. why do you haunt me... ? you have my same thoughts and I am getting seriously spooked..
Madman drummer bummers
Indians in the summer
With a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps
As the adolescent pumps
His way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder
Feeling kinda older
I tripped a merry-go-round
With this very unpleasing
Sneezing and wheezing
The calliope crashed to the ground

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Madman drummer bummers
Indians in the summer
With a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps
As the adolescent pumps
His way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder
Feeling kinda older
I tripped a merry-go-round
With this very unpleasing
Sneezing and wheezing
The calliope crashed to the ground
beautiful song and I gather my people around me... chatter is all scar and scary.. serious and non checkers..

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
beautiful song and I gather my people around me... chatter is all scar and scary.. serious and non checkers..
All the sweet green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Turns out the guy was a regular at these brothels with Asian women and had a sex addiction, and apparently lashed out at what he saw as sources of temptation.

That was said by the police chief who posted a racist meme against on his social media:

Korean language media spoke to eyewitnesses saying the guy was screaming anti-Asian slurs:

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
The other day he had that renowned white supremacist Naomi Wolff on the show. She had recently been deplatformed by Twitter for expressing a view that there should be a bipartisan approach to protecting free speech.

Her twitter account is still there. If she got criticism it’s because she actually went on Tucker Carlson and made up some zany conspiracy theories about Covid being a CCP hoax to enslave the west through totalitarian UN controlled Marxism or some nonsense, but you can read her earnings about that all over the internet, she hasn’t been cancelled.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists

Kinda like when Trump said he was best mates with Serena Williams until she “no we are not friends”.

Back