Society/Culture Tucker Carlson - Fired from Fox. Sacked. Terminated. Given the heave-ho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
And by sheer coincidence, these "observations" reflect your ideological biases. You're a mouthpiece for dumb opinions you've downloaded from elsewhere. Stop kidding yourself.

Or perhaps my “ideology” is informed by my observations?

Policy should absolutely be directed by science. What alternative would you suggest?

Maybe a balanced mix of a bunch of competing interests weighed up by people elected to do the job?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Because there are economic interests.

There are human interests.

There are social interests.

There are cultural interests.

Many times these interests, amongst others, are at odds with the contemporary recommendations of “science”.
None of that is necessarily at odds with policy being directed by science.

I’m a good swimmer.
Have you submitted a report to the proper authorities to get them to correct the record?

I mean, your visit to a part of the reef surely trumps any long term monitoring and study of the whole reef.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
You can, surely, reject bad science and embrace good science.
Well if a "scientist" insists the Great Barrier Reef is nearly dead, and I can see with my own eyes that it is not, and in a year they say it has miraculously recovered, rinse and repeat 5 times, I can say that is bad science.

If some scientists repeatedly use modelling to predict catastrophist outcomes that never seem to eventuate, then gravely announce that "it's worse than we thought", I can conclude that is bad science.

It's not predictions on my part, it's observation and comparison of what was predicted versus what has eventuated.

Edit: The science world, like the medical world, the legal world, the finance world, and any other industry, has its good practitioners and its poor practitioners. It's not absolute, and the religiosity associated with the demand to "believe in science" is no less ridiculous than absolute belief in the existence of a supreme being, the only difference being those who believe in a supreme being acknowledge their belief is based on faith rather than reason.
I think the view of 'good' and 'bad' science, actually comes down to a lack of understanding.

Yes, there are good and poor practitioners in all areas. But majority consensus helps to reduce, to almost eliminate, that aspect.

Your anecdote about the Great Barrier Reef isn't actually looking at the science. Your issue is with headlines, talking points, and misinformation.

If you'd spent time looking at the science, you'd have a better understanding as to what's happening to the the GBR, how and why it's happening, and why your observations of segments of it are not comparable to the 'science'.

For example, can you point to a scientific report on the GBR that you can contradict?

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
If it was at least semantics, I could have engaged with something.

I think SJ is ok. Everyone deals with the pandemic differently.
Just don't make the mistake of throwing a stick for him to fetch, he'll never stop.

And, more to the point, 4 times out of 5 he goes off on a frolic of his own, and brings back a completely different stick to the one you actually threw. If you get what I mean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back