Society/Culture Tucker Carlson - Fired from Fox. Sacked. Terminated. Given the heave-ho.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I haven't watched Carlson for a while but it seems there is some convergence with his views and those of who have criticised the mainstream media and the corporate establishment. People like Jon Stewart, Russell Brand and Joe Rogan.

Brand makes the point that if CNN have consistently taken a very biased side about one topic, they have lost the right to be trusted as a source of information on other topics. Rogan goes further and says CNN consciously lied about Ivermectin.

A good point by Brand towards the end. The media is not telling you news. It is pushing you in a particular direction.

Ok. This isn't a post modern fantasy. There is no both sides. The vaccines are largely safe. The Rogan s**t? Meh. carlson lies hourly about far more important things.

And are you positioning as not mainstream and not establishment?

he is a prime time host of the a news channel owned by the biggest media corp in the world. He had the ear of President for 4 years.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I haven't watched Carlson for a while but it seems there is some convergence with his views and those of who have criticised the mainstream media and the corporate establishment. People like Jon Stewart, Russell Brand and Joe Rogan.
Fox News is part of "the mainstream media and the corporate establishment".

A good point by Brand towards the end. The media is not telling you news. It is pushing you in a particular direction.
Unlike Fox News?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Ok. This isn't a post modern fantasy. There is no both sides. The vaccines are largely safe. The Rogan sh*t?

If you watch the video it wasn't about vaccines. CNN repeatedly claimed Rogan took a "horse dewormer" when he actually took Stromectol that was prescribed to him by a doctor. Brand is asking why a news organisation would take such a stance.

If you watch the video it wasn't about vaccines. CNN repeatedly claimed Rogan took a "horse dewormer" when he actually took Stromectol that was prescribed to him by a doctor. Brand is asking why a news organisation would take such a stance.
So he didn't take ivermectin?

NPR is pretty straight-laced:

Joe Rogan, the mega-popular podcast host who has suggested that young, fit people don't need to get the COVID-19 vaccine, has announced he tested positive for the virus, but is feeling fine thanks to a cocktail of unproven medical treatments.

In an Instagram video, the 54-year-old host of The Joe Rogan Experience, said he felt "very weary" on Saturday and got tested for the coronavirus the following day.

"Throughout the night I got fevers, sweats, and I knew what was going on," Rogan told his 13.1 million followers.

After the diagnosis, he said he "immediately threw the kitchen sink at it."

Rogan says he took a drug the FDA urges people not to use
His methods included taking ivermectin, a deworming veterinary drug that is formulated for use in cows and horses. While a version of the drug is sometimes prescribed to people for head lice or skin conditions, the formula for animal use is much more concentrated. The Food and Drug administration is urging people to stop ingesting the animal version of the drug to fight COVID-19, warning it can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, neurologic disorders and potentially severe hepatitis requiring hospitalization.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So he didn't take ivermectin?

NPR is pretty straight-laced:

Seems like Stromectol and Ivermectin are fairly interchangeable terms, according to Google anyway ie. when you search for Stromectol you get the Ivermectin wiki entry.

I think the CNN criticism is justified in this case, and even that NPR article isn't great - implies he took the veterinary version. But think its pretty clear Rogan took the version for humans as prescribed by his doctor, not the horse paste.

Unless I'm missing something?

The drug is, among other things, a horse de-wormer. There is no proper evidence it works. People were right to ridicule his support of ivermectin as a Covid treatment.

" He later explained he is not "an anti-vax person" and joked he is not "a respected source of information, even for me." "

So he's giving out advice he doesn't think is worth anything.

Telling young people not to get vaccinated.

Telling people ivermectin is a treatment for Covid.

Knowing it's garbage advice.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The drug is, among other things, a horse de-wormer. There is no proper evidence it works.

But the horse de-wormer is a different compound to the human version, yeah?

I'm assuming Rogan took the human version (but I'm not sure). Acknowledging there is no proper evidence it works and setting that aside for a minute, still seems like an important distinction and piece of info to have.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
But the horse de-wormer is a different compound to the human version, yeah?

I'm assuming Rogan took the human version (but I'm not sure). Acknowledging there is no proper evidence it works and setting that aside for a minute, still seems like an important distinction and piece of info to have.
One side is openly comparing wearing masks in public, to the Holocaust.

The other side is comparing something used to treat parasites in humans, with the same thing used to treat parasites in animals.

I'm actually pissed off that anyone is even pretending to have the argument of 'equal representation'.
If anyone 'just wanted the truth', they shouldn't be relying on media, or news. But they definitely shouldn't rely on Rogan and his disclaimers...

I could never prove it. But I know for a fact that more people have listened to Rogan talk about taking Ivermectin, and recovering from Covid, than the number of people who have ever actually read up on Ivermectin, it's uses, dangers... and the actual scientific evidence and data.

This is only a big deal, because the anti-vax/far right have made it a big deal.

It should be laughed at and moved on from. Not added as yet more ephemeral evidence of a (((global))) conspiracy.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
One side is openly comparing wearing masks in public, to the Holocaust.

The other side is comparing something used to treat parasites in humans, with the same thing used to treat parasites in animals.

I'm actually pissed off that anyone is even pretending to have the argument of 'equal representation'.
If anyone 'just wanted the truth', they shouldn't be relying on media, or news. But they definitely shouldn't rely on Rogan and his disclaimers...

I could never prove it. But I know for a fact that more people have listened to Rogan talk about taking Ivermectin, and recovering from Covid, than the number of people who have ever actually read up on Ivermectin, it's uses, dangers... and the actual scientific evidence and data.

This is only a big deal, because the anti-vax/far right have made it a big deal.

It should be laughed at and moved on from. Not added as yet more ephemeral evidence of a (((global))) conspiracy.

Well said. Conservatives, alt-right etc all survive on culture wars, it's all they have got.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
The drug is, among other things, a horse de-wormer. There is no proper evidence it works. People were right to ridicule his support of ivermectin as a Covid treatment.
But it is also prescribed for human use as an anti-parasitic agent. That is simply a fact.

We can debate its efficacy as a treatment for coronavirus, that's fine. But referring to it as a horse dewormer, when clearly it can be prescribed to people, is misleading.

CNN, in trying to discredit Rogan, overreached.

They could simply have said invermectin has not been proven as a treatment for coronavirus. Referring to it as a horse dewormer is misleading.

Yeah, MAYBE that's a bit click-baity. But I don't think real journalists have any responsibility to give ivermectin, or its use for Covid, a decent run.
They have a responsibility to be factually accurate.

Invermectin can be prescribed for human use. So deriding it as a horse dewormer, and using that to discredit Rogan, is sleight of hand.

Last edited:
454CB76F-5371-4D82-A12D-A911003AE677.jpeg

Back