The Ultimate Fighter TUF 19 - BJ PENN vs EDGAR

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't say that, he rebounded from the second GSP fight with two dominant showings against Florian and Diego. Then the first fight against Edgar was really close, he starched Hughes in 20 seconds, held his own against Fitch and won the first round against Diaz. Every round after that was rough to watch though and I don't think I'll be checking this fight out later :(

I wouldn't say that, he rebounded from the second GSP fight with two dominant showings against Florian and Diego. Then the first fight against Edgar was really close, he starched Hughes in 20 seconds, held his own against Fitch and won the first round against Diaz. Every round after that was rough to watch though and I don't think I'll be checking this fight out later :(

True... Florian was a bit of a teaser of old... If you want to keep a good mental image of Bj, dont watch this 145 bout... :(

Last edited:
That was hard to watch. I don't know who came up with his weird upright stance gameplan but I've never been happy with BJ's yes men corner - as incredible as his career was I can't help but wonder how much better he could have been at a real camp or if he'd stuck with the Marinovich brothers. The BJ mentality of anybody anytime any-weight is what made me a fan of his, that was a real fighter, I'm glad I got to see him live at UFC 127. Sucks seeing the old guard drop off so badly in the past few years sucks - Big Nog, Anderson, BJ, hate seeing them dominated by bigger and younger competition.

Now that was the performance of a male fighter Rousy could beat.

Absolute disgraceful performance. Almost seemed like it was just an opportunity to get another pay day before retirement.

If he won't retire he should be cut.

He's officially retired, announced at the post fight press conference. I don't want to remember BJ Penn like that though - I'll always think of him as the man who dethroned Hughes to grab that Welterweight title and tore apart the 155 pound division.

That was a horrible, horrible fight. I can't say I'm surprised BJ was poor due to coming off back to back terrible performances and a 19 month layoff, but I never expected that. The quicker I can erase that fight from my memory, the happier I'll be. I think the best way to do that is to relive some of his best moments:

bj-penn-knee-o.gif

penn_hughesptkg.gif

Penn-Uno-KTFO.gif

PennKOsDinThomas.gif

bj-penn_joe-stevenson.gif

24y30y1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back