The Ultimate Fighter TUF Season 20 - 115lb Womens Strawweight Division introduction

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The UFC has just announced the arrival of a 115lb Strawweight division with 11 fighters signed from Invicta FC.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/12/...on-gadelha-esparza-calderwood-torres-mma-news

These 11 names and more will set the framework for TUF season 20 to determine the UFC Strawweight champion in 2014.

The fighters: Carla Esparza, Claudia Gadelha, Alex Chambers, Felice Herrig, Bec Hyatt, Emily Kagan, Julianna Lima, Rose Namajunas, Tecia Torres, Paige Van Zandt, Joanne Calderwood.

I think this will be the best season for a long time. When's the last time a fighter challenging for a title shot emerged from TUF? I don't think anyone from the last season will end up doing that but that remains to be seen. John Dodson fought for the title and before that I can't think who it was. Just looked it up, Nate Diaz from season 5 I think and his title shot was recent.

You could say well of course these fighters are going to fight for the title, but the thing is they've got most of the best fighters in this weight class on the show. The number one ranked strawweight, Jessica Aguilar, just signed with WSOF. It would be great if they could somehow get her on the show. I think Calderwood, Esparza, Gadelha and Torres are the best fighters so far signed up on the show.

Great to see more women in the UFC! :thumbsu:

The only thing close to this as far as immediately being a title winner or getting a title shot was TUF 4, when Matt Serra won and got a shot at (and won) the Welterweight title.

Other TUF winners/participants to have had title shots - Diego Sanchez, Forrest Griffin, Joe Stevenson, Rashad Evans, Kenny Florian, Nate Diaz, Patrick Côté, John Dodson, Nate Quarry, Josh Koscheck, Gray Maynard. Hasn't produced much from recent seasons. I suppose that might be to do with guys who are good enough to be at that level making their way to the UFC organically.

These girls are good. Esperza and Herrig especially (from what i have seen) and i have a massive crush on Bec Hyatt.

No love for Torres after she just beat Felice?

I think Gadelha is a real chance to win this. Torres, Esparza and Namajunas should do well too.

No love for Torres after she just beat Felice?

I think Gadelha is a real chance to win this. Torres, Esparza and Namajunas should do well too.

Torres is good as well, they all are, the girls really do scrap. Not convinced on Namajunas TBH, she will be good but she is so young and inexperienced. I actually think Atomweight is loaded as well.

Coaches not named yet? I'd actually like to see two male coaches.

Not sure female fighters have to have a female coach (on TUF).

Coaches not named yet? I'd actually like to see two male coaches.

Not sure female fighters have to have a female coach (on TUF).

I think the best idea is to do away with the two team coaches, like they did with the comeback season. That season they had Couture, GSP, Franklin, Liddell and Hughes helping to train the fighters at various points throughout the show. Something like that would work best here imo.

Some fighters previously announced are now not going to be part of the show. I'm not sure why two of the fighters who have been removed were initially included. VanZant is too young and we know the UFC wouldn't remove alcohol from the house, so that's a no brainer. Lima doesn't speak English, which seemed like a prerequisite of entering the house given the exclusion of Mizuki Inoue from this.

The really disappointing one is Gadelha, one of the favourites, removing herself from this because she wouldn't be able to make weight multiple times. Very disappointing but unsurprising and a smart decision given the fact that I don't believe she's fought many fights at 115. Those two guys who missed weight on a recent TUF season were fighting at that weight for the first time and something like that happening on this season would be terrible.

Some of what I assume is the cast out on the town:

983663_707175445987569_4517401592642867766_n.jpg

I can only recognise a few of the women in this pic (Torres, Rowdy Bec, Felice, Rose, Carla and Astro Girl of the announced cast and Amir on the left), but that's definitely former atomweight champion Jessica Penne on the far right. Hoping she made the cut!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think that seeing as they're already guaranteed UFC employees - they can't just give up and play silly buggers for the duration of their show once they lose their fight. Hopefully things should stay professional to a degree seeing as they're all on contract and looking to stay there, not give the UFC a reason to fire them etc.

funny how so little time changes everything I will only be watching the fights i am already over the bitching and so on. I really hope the fights deliver cause this surely could be the Death of Tuf or is that just me hoping

I'm the complete opposite. I think this should be a really good season and may help in the revival of TUF. The quality of fighters is fantastic and the coaches are two of the best in probably the best weight class who will be bringing in great support teams. I'm a fan of WMMA, so know a fair few of the fighters going in to the house which is an interesting wrinkle as well.

I'm the complete opposite. I think this should be a really good season and may help in the revival of TUF. The quality of fighters is fantastic and the coaches are two of the best in probably the best weight class who will be bringing in great support teams. I'm a fan of WMMA, so know a fair few of the fighters going in to the house which is an interesting wrinkle as well.
like I said before should be a good season for the fights its just all the in house Drama really would love to see a season just showing the gym and the fights. WMMA is great and this is good for the UFC its just the bitching that puts me off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back