Tuohy at Carlton vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

BlueRenaissance

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Wanted to get neutrals opinions on Tuohy's general Carlton career as against his first year performance at Geelong.

Would a statement like "Tuohy has gone to another level at Geelong" be misplaced? Would that statement be getting carried away .....that Tuohy was just as good at Carlton with the same AFL profile... but just playing a different type of role?

It's a discussion point on our boards so would like some decent opinions on what others think. Obv Carlton posters want to dismiss any other supporters advice as biased and trolling but there must be some posters out there that can put a decent sentence together explaining a fair opinion.

Touhy was a gun at Carlton and a player I wish Collingwood pursued when he left.
He's still a gun st Geelong and being st a successful may have helped get a bit more out of him but he's was always a gun IMO.

I think playing with better players has helped elevate his game. I don’t necessarily think he is a better player at Geelong, but in a top 4 side as opposed to a bottom 4 side I think is going to make a fairly significant level of difference re structure, players you’re playing alongside, and how your role could change.

Who did blues get from the draft with the first round trade?

Essentially got Marchbank and Pickett, also giving up our second rounder and some late picks as well.

Perhaps because Carlton already had Fisher and Docherty but it feels like his role is more impactful at Geelong. At Geelong he is the 'main man' distributing it out of defense. He had a very good year.

Tuohy was at a team with a poor system and few good let alone elite players.

Geelong has a lot more quality and system and therefore he is able to develop.

The same as other players at poor clubs like Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Maybe Carlton will be competent in 3 years time and a player like Tuohy would thrive then.

G3Y4Lgr.jpg

Basically.

First picked in Supercoach last year and for good reason. Not sure if he has gone to another level but is playing in a much better side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wanted to get neutrals opinions on Tuohy's general Carlton career as against his first year performance at Geelong.

Would a statement like "Tuohy has gone to another level at Geelong" be misplaced? Would that statement be getting carried away .....that Tuohy was just as good at Carlton with the same AFL profile... but just playing a different type of role?

It's a discussion point on our boards so would like some decent opinions on what others think. Obv Carlton posters want to dismiss any other supporters advice as biased and trolling but there must be some posters out there that can put a decent sentence together explaining a fair opinion.

OP arguing with and insulting other posters on our board because he's adamant that Tuohy is a far superior player at Geelong and was only a 'fringe player' at Carlton while most of us think he's about the same, he's just playing in a better side now which makes it easier. Goes and starts a thread on main board hoping to see people agree with him.

Includes this in his OP: "Obv Carlton posters want to dismiss any other supporters advice as biased and trolling but there must be some posters out there that can put a decent sentence together explaining a fair opinion."

Yet most of the responses here have again said he's about the same but is playing in a better team which explains his slightly better play/stats.

Cmon OP, face up and admit most people, even non-Carlton posters, don't agree with you.

I think playing with better players has helped elevate his game. I don’t necessarily think he is a better player at Geelong, but in a top 4 side as opposed to a bottom 4 side I think is going to make a fairly significant level of difference re structure, players you’re playing alongside, and how your role could change.

Agreed

This thread feels like 2016 where Crows fans were telling us Danger had always been that good while ignoring the statistical gulf between his 2016 season and anything he produced at the crows.

Perhaps because Carlton already had Fisher and Docherty but it feels like his role is more impactful at Geelong. At Geelong he is the 'main man' distributing it out of defense. He had a very good year.
I'm certain this is why we effectively pushed him out the door by lowballing his contract offer. We had Docherty, Marchbank, Plowman, Simpson, Weitering and others all either in the team or lined up to grab as part of the trades. Therefore we only lost a little experience on a line we already had plans for and saved salary cap space for bigger targets down the line. It was purely strategic.

Tuohy was very good for us. Saw him improve on deficiencies in his game (such as one on one defence deep in the 50) and saw him become more and more dangerous from outside our fifty to kick goals. I don't know if he has incrementally improved his game at Geelong, but given where he has come from it wouldn't surprise me. Playing in a better team usually helps, and it also depends on what his role is too.

You'd have to have watched him pretty closely in his last couple of years at Carlton and then again his time at Geelong to make a call about whether he is better as a player. I've no idea. But I know he's a very good player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back