News Tuohy & Stanley re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why extend Tuohy that long? Could be out of the team by the end of the 22 by the end of 2021.
Gotta agree - thought one year extensions would be sufficient at this stage of things for Tuohy

Why extend Tuohy that long? Could be out of the 22 by the end of 2021.

Could be. But he'd still be more than handy depth, if that was the case. Has shown an ability to play in a number of roles in the team now as well.

Proved very durable over his whole career, and surely isn't on big money at this stage of the game. Given you're always going to have injuries and players on your list who are not playing seniors every week, Zach seems like a very handy player to have around the squad for another couple of seasons. Has been good for us since coming over, and didn't show signs of slowing down noticeably this year.

I get that it's a marginal call, but I'm OK with this deal at this point in his career.

Could be. But he'd still be more than handy depth, if that was the case. Has shown an ability to play in a number of roles in the team now as well.

Proved very durable over his whole career, and surely isn't on big money at this stage of the game. Given you're always going to have injuries and players on your list who are not playing seniors every week, Zach seems like a very handy player to have around the squad for another couple of seasons. Has been good for us since coming over, and didn't show signs of slowing down noticeably this year.

I get that it's a marginal call, but I'm OK with this deal at this point in his career.

We must be watching a different player. To me he's clearly and obviously in decline, and the Grand final exposed him as it did a few others.

He can't play half back flank anymore, by far his best position. At least they don't seem to want to put him there now. He's not a forward and better options are ahead of him on the wings.

Yeah I reckon Stanley has a lot more left in him than Tuohy does. He should not be an automatic selection anymore.
We also sort of need Stanley because he's our only real ruckman and the club has shown a persistent reluctance to invest much into that position going forward. Completely agree with what you wrote above. Tuohy looked ordinary late in the year, and he's always been suspect defensively. I'd rather we play Clark at HBF. He could play wing but looking at his form line from this year I'd expect and hope he'd be surpassed by younger players, and there's more competition even next year with Smith in the squad.

Seems exactly the type you'd be giving one-year deals to at this point, when you're not so sure of longer-term viability. Strange how some older players get treated in comparison to others.

We must be watching a different player. To me he's clearly and obviously in decline, and the Grand final exposed him as it did a few others.

He can't play half back flank anymore, by far his best position. At least they don't seem to want to put him there now. He's not a forward and better options are ahead of him on the wings.

I'd say with Tuohy that he offers enough to warrant a spot on the list, but struggle to see how he fits into the 22 on weekly basis

He's best position is clearly in the backline & providing drive from there, though I'm not sure if he's got a spot in our backline when you consider we may be trying to move Blicavs back into a defensive role, Clark if fit & in form will hopefully be pushing for a spot, and I don't see an easy switch with one of the incumbent defenders

And while he had cameo appearances on the wing & up forward this past season, he's not going to be better in those roles than an Isaac Smith or Shaun Higgins, and I'd like to see more opportunities for guys like Simpson and others in the next gen coming through

At his best, Tuohy is probably in the best 22 players at the club but when looking at it from a team playing perspective, not sure there is a spot in the 22 for him - I can see value in having him on the list, but would rather it have been on 12 month contracts

I suspect 2 years rather than 1 on a less rate .... its probably a salcap choice ..

I'd say with Tuohy that he offers enough to warrant a spot on the list, but struggle to see how he fits into the 22 on weekly basis

He's best position is clearly in the backline & providing drive from there, though I'm not sure if he's got a spot in our backline when you consider we may be trying to move Blicavs back into a defensive role, Clark if fit & in form will hopefully be pushing for a spot, and I don't see an easy switch with one of the incumbent defenders

And while he had cameo appearances on the wing & up forward this past season, he's not going to be better in those roles than an Isaac Smith or Shaun Higgins, and I'd like to see more opportunities for guys like Simpson and others in the next gen coming through

At his best, Tuohy is probably in the best 22 players at the club but when looking at it from a team playing perspective, not sure there is a spot in the 22 for him - I can see value in having him on the list, but would rather it have been on 12 month contracts

We must get Clark in .. and that we put a few players offside. Guys like 2e and Dahl may have to suck a bit VFL air at times to ensure we see some others in their roles.

Yeah I reckon Stanley has a lot more left in him than Tuohy does. He should not be an automatic selection anymore.

Ruck is a much more physical position to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both integral to our premiership aspirations for the next couple of years.

Tuohy was hampered by injury for the back end of the year and also played out of position. He'll come back fit and fresh in 2021 and bolster what was essentially a dysfunctional backline that was slow and lacked rebound.

Ruck is a much more physical position to play.
Tuohy's durable, so Tuohy to ruck? :)

Tuohy to me seems an unspectacular cog in the machine, a bit like Dahlhaus. Can pop up for a goal now and then, really helps the team most when driving forward with the ball. If he can't do that, then I'm afraid he's only useful as depth. Which isn't bad, but I hope he isn't an automatic selection because he's a senior player.

Why extend Tuohy that long? Could be out of the 22 by the end of 2021.
Won’t argue with any of that. 1 year more than fair IMO.
And I actually hope that Clark pushes him out of the 22 this year.

Go Catters

Won’t argue with any of that. 1 year more than fair IMO.
And I actually hope that Clark pushes him out of the 22 this year.

Go Catters

The 2 years is probably for salary cap reasons i reckon.

Dads Army keeps getting stronger Touhy 32 signs for 2 more years so 34 or 35 is the retirement age at the cats.

probably true ... i wonder whats the average age in other sports. 100m sprinters for example. Maybe the offer him two but the second year is very much a clubman type role where he is used as a backup? It seems obvious that he would be one who has to make way to get games into the likes of Clark..

probably true ... i wonder whats the average age in other sports. 100m sprinters for example. Maybe the offer him two but the second year is very much a clubman type role where he is used as a backup? It seems obvious that he would be one who has to make way to get games into the likes of Clark..
I recall seeing Tuohy’s name in the top 5 match sprint times, or something like that, which surprised me.

Dads Army keeps getting stronger Touhy 32 signs for 2 more years so 34 or 35 is the retirement age at the cats.
Is that in regards to his next contract, as Tuohy turns 31 next month - not saying he's young but it's been pretty common this past couple of weeks for 2 or 3 years to be added to a player age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back