Turmoil at a club not always a bad thing

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been an interesting couple of weeks as a doggies fan.

We went from being irrelevant to all over the pages for what was perceived to be bad news.

However, like all businesses and sporting organisations turmoil or upheaval like we have seen does not necessarily mean the demise of a club, nor does it mean we like say Melbourne are going to have to have yet another rebuild.

In fact the opportunity has been created to refocus on what we are really trying to build and why, and actually build on what has already begun.

In so far as having no coach. Even the strongest Macca backers would have to admit concern for game day, team structures and systems as well as patterns of play. Clearly the coaching group as a whole needed refreshing. A new set of eyes and ideas will not throw the baby out with the bath water but will build on what we have done with greater focus on a sustained challenge for that elusive flag. A fantastic opportunity for coaches and assistants. My preference is for an experienced coach with quality assistants to provide the cutting edge training and strategies under an experienced leader.

As for no captain. An opportunity has been created for the genuine leaders within the playing group to step up. There are still a couple of wise old heads around for the short term but the next group must step up anyway if we ever expect to challenge in the next 5 years anyway.

Off the field the happenings of the last few weeks will cause a refocus of the structures and accountabilities required in the modern era.

Our trading and recruiting has been bold and brave. To be bold and brave you must take risks, if you don't you will simply not improve. Those concerned about wages either do not know or do not understand the requirement of minimum wages, the indexed increases and future increases in tv rights. FA has created a new environment and the types of contracts we have offered the likes of Boyd and Crameri put us at the cutting edge of list development not just playing follow the leader. The negativity and the lack of vision of many posters through various threads astounds me.

Success often comes from adversity. There will always be adversity, it is how you react. Other than a couple of poorly chosen words that probably had an alterior motive from Peter Gordon we look to be getting that focus and vision back.

So for those negative types, enjoy yourselves, I personally look forward to a season more so than for along time, coaching locally and getting along to watch Footscray and the Western Bulldogs building something in a way we never have before.

I just mentioned in another thread that I haven't felt this positive about the club for a few years. I dunno. It's just the vibe of the thing, I guess.

I am confident we will come out of this mess stronger for it, still not very nice when it happens, though. I feel signing Boyd and possibly a few more names next year is a smart move. I have feared being trapped in a melbourne state for some time now, where we have a bulk of below par, or average playing list who we have to pay overs for to make the cap. This will be adjusted or fixed in future i think, because that won't help low teams make any progress at all. By ensuring we have some big money men, we can then pay our players their worth...to an extent, more accurately. Having these big name men also make the club more attractive to handy FA.

This will most liekly be a vital year for us in future, but hindsight is a charm isn't it. With time the wounds heal and we can see all the positives clearer when the negatives are not so fresh.

Whilst it's mistranslated and misquoted and not entirely true, I love the story about how the Chinese characters for "crisis" are individually the words for "danger" and "opportunity".

In this crisis there certainly is opportunity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_word_for_"crisis"

While there is the usual bickering I actually think what has happened has made this board (big footy Bulldogs board) more united than it has been in a long time. May as well enjoy it while it lasts :p

Good OP. Pretty much agree with all of that. (But please Chicago1 ... Not the dreaded "vibe" again!)

If ever there was an opportunity to break with the alleged toxic "players first" culture of the past, then this is it. Only a few old hands left and most of those are smart enough and loyal enough to help with the transition rather than try to entrench old ways. Furthermore we have a young group that is hungry for success and if they are shown the right ways by a good coaching team we can instil a "club first" culture that can last a generation or more.

Hawthorn have had it for over 30 years. And look where they are riding. No reason we can't have it too.

With any luck, we'll be emerging from this with a quality young key forward, a readymade half back flanker (not from SA) that cost us a packet of Twisties, a restructured, talented and experienced coaching panel, and a united group of younger players, all of whom are determined to succeed.

I feel positive about 2015. My expectations aren't particularly high, but I'm confident that with a tune-up, we can have a strong young squad playing good footy - maybe not as consistently as we'd like, but often enough throughout games and throughout the season to deliver a few wins and plenty of excitement.

There's still quality experience in Matthew Boyd, Minson, Morris, Murphy and Picken. There are young guys who might struggle in the absence of Griffen and Cooney, but are nonetheless capable of adapting quickly, fighting hard and getting results, in Liberatore, Macrae, Hrovat, Stevens, Hunter and Johannisen.

Our best forwards in 2014, Jake Stringer and Stewart Crameri, will benefit from the presence of new recruit Tom Boyd, and for the first time in years, without putting any pressure on him, we could have an effective and versatile forward structure, bursting at the seams with talent.

The defensive six is where it gets ugly, but we've got two fantastic prospects (Talia and Roberts) who just need more time - their presence isn't crucial at this point, we have to look at the big picture. They've both displayed solid to dominant form at VFL level, and glimpses at AFL level. They'll get there. We might have to be nice to Aussie in the meantime.

It'll be tough - we'll get belted at times, but I can deal with that. One step back, and two steps forward.

6-8 wins for mine, but I won't lose any sleep if it's 5 or fewer.
Whilst it's mistranslated and misquoted and not entirely true, I love the story about how the Chinese characters for "crisis" are individually the words for "danger" and "opportunity".

In this crisis there certainly is opportunity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_word_for_"crisis"

Just heard second hand that all the players hated the coach, with Wood, Dahl and others all wanting to walk. Also heard that Cooney doesn't talk to the young players, so no interest in future development for the club.

Finally son has Prudden on Facebook and most of the young guys are up in Cairns together, hopefully a sign of a United team.

Just heard second hand that all the players hated the coach, with Wood, Dahl and others all wanting to walk. Also heard that Cooney doesn't talk to the young players, so no interest in future development for the club.

Finally son has Prudden on Facebook and most of the young guys are up in Cairns together, hopefully a sign of a United team.
Cooney and stringer are close as so that's crap

Wow considering we are talking about the club's crisis I would have thought quite a bit. In all organisations good communications and relationships between people are very important.

Wow considering we are talking about the club's crisis I would have thought quite a bit. In all organisations good communications and relationships between people are very important.
DRB the thread is not about the club being in crisis per se, it is about whether the turmoil at the club is a bad thing given turmoil is a regular occurrence in all organisations and also creates opportunity.

Crisis has been what those sensationalist journalists used to describe the turmoil of having no captain, no coach and the audacity to pay big dollars for a 19 year old. It is demonstrating that in reality from the turmoil great opportunity is presented and allows for discussion either for or against the opportunity.

There are countless threads discussing the negative thoughts of the recent turmoil, this was meant to discuss and debate the opportunity.

I note in your post you did address opportunity in a fair portion of it. The reply to your thread focussed not on opportunity but on a remark about a relationship trying to prove your knowledge wrong. That reply has nothing to do either for or against the premise of the thread. Apologies if you thought my short post about the thread derailing was directed at you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While i respect the crisis leads to opportunity line very much the
turmoil of the last week and a half has had a negative effect in
terms of my sleeping patterns.So in that respect i love a good
nights sleep and iv'e found myself counting Tom Boyd's instead
of swimwear clad Halle Berry's.I could throw in a few batman
cliches about the darkness before the dawn , but i'm too tired.

Interesting that we have gone from irrelevant to maligned.

Every time a read an article or hear a critique of us and the "Tom Boyd heist" in the media it is laced with negative overtones ranging from contempt to outright distain.

It seems that we have sold our soul to the devil, and the whole thing will not only destroy our club, but bring down the competition at the same time.

We have somehow become the tall poppies and the critics are lining us to pot us.

Interesting that we have gone from irrelevant to maligned.

Every time a read an article or hear a critique of us and the "Tom Boyd heist" in the media it is laced with negative overtones ranging from contempt to outright distain.

It seems that we have sold our soul to the devil, and the whole thing will not only destroy our club, but bring down the competition at the same time.

We have somehow become the tall poppies and the critics are lining us to pot us.
I feel like there is probably a 2/3 majority which thinks the trade was beneficial to us. But maybe I don't get around to enough sources.

DRB the thread is not about the club being in crisis per se, it is about whether the turmoil at the club is a bad thing given turmoil is a regular occurrence in all organisations and also creates opportunity.

Crisis has been what those sensationalist journalists used to describe the turmoil of having no captain, no coach and the audacity to pay big dollars for a 19 year old. It is demonstrating that in reality from the turmoil great opportunity is presented and allows for discussion either for or against the opportunity.

There are countless threads discussing the negative thoughts of the recent turmoil, this was meant to discuss and debate the opportunity.

I note in your post you did address opportunity in a fair portion of it. The reply to your thread focussed not on opportunity but on a remark about a relationship trying to prove your knowledge wrong. That reply has nothing to do either for or against the premise of the thread. Apologies if you thought my short post about the thread derailing was directed at you

Fair enough I will take that little slap, as I didn't articulate very clearly my own thoughts on crisis theory at all. Professionally I have seen people who reach a point in their lives where the submerged problem can no longer be ignored. For instance their drug/alcohol/gambling addiction effects their relationships or employment. Out of this crisis comes choice and opportunity for meaningful change ie detox and therapy and personal growth.

In the case of the club, we have made a clear choice to aggressively chase players that we want and because we are not perceived as a "destination club" we have to pay more for those players. This is a change in approach for our club and the traditional media with their allegiance to the old VFL pecking order doesn't like it. Still no publicity is bad publicity is it, we are not "irrelevant" now. If it comes off and Boyd reaches the potential we think he has shown, we will shirtfront the media,and the AFL in one swoop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back