Rumour Turmoil at Carlton?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just provided the link knowing this thread existed. If you read back to the start of the thread I debated the right of the OP to post the rumour as some precious flogs said it should be deleted. I said if it's a rumour, it warrants a thread. And even a month or so on, some are still fighting like hell to deny the rumour.

Is it true? Don't know

Is there a rumour? Yes

Deal with it.

I don't care that the rumour exists but to be criticised for denying the rumour is a bit rich. We have just as much right to ridicule the rumour and call it bogus as the OP does to post it. You seem to have a problem with posters daring to call it rubbish while the OP is constantly arguing the opposite using wild speculation.

You haven't got a horse in this race but you are hardly calling it down the middle.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Some haven't. Read a bit further down and read how some were so precious they wanted the thread deleted.
Pretty sure there was one that wanted it deleted and that was even shut down by another Carlton supporter.
You guys seem to be under the impression that debating the validity of the rumour somehow constitutes being precious or denying its existence. I don't deny that the rumour exists, but I question its validity. I also question the use of the secondary source as backing up the OP. There's a reason why mainstream media hasn't caught on to this rumour, and it's not because they don't read these pages. It's because they haven't been able to back it up through their many legit sources.

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't care that the rumour exists but to be criticised for denying the rumour is a bit rich. We have just as much right to ridicule the rumour and call it bogus as the OP does to post it. You seem to have a problem with posters daring to call it rubbish while the OP is constantly arguing the opposite using wild speculation.

You haven't got a horse in this race but you are hardly calling it down the middle.
I don't care if you deny or call the rumour rubbish. It could be for all I care. What I care about is that some say the thread should be deleted. And when I provide a link supporting evidence that the rumour is out there and say it 'might' be related to this thread, the level of preciousness ramped up even further.

Do you think the thread should be deleted?

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty sure there was one that wanted it deleted and that was even shut down by another Carlton supporter.
You guys seem to be under the impression that debating the validity of the rumour somehow constitutes being precious or denying its existence. I don't deny that the rumour exists, but I question its validity. I also question the use of the secondary source as backing up the OP. There's a reason why mainstream media hasn't caught on to this rumour, and it's not because they don't read these pages. It's because they haven't been able to back it up through their many legit sources.
Maybe because it's Carlton, it wouldn't help sell a paper!!

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is bugger all smoke, just the same people repeating themselves and talking about changing strategies. I really don't want to waste time on this waffle but can easily speculate about trades and non trades and draw a conclusion opposite to yours.

So Silvagni didn't pick up as many GWS players this year. Why? Well, he has a relationship with some of the players still, thus Marchbank and Pickett nominating us. However the list manager is new and has a Richmond alignment. We have been speculating all year that the relationship will have changed and we won't have the inside running. This was evident when GWS were seeking higher prices for the players we wanted compared to others. That in itself will bring about a change in strategy.

Having said that, Silvagni wasn't the one speculating about Stewart or Barrett or Steele or Kennedy or Corr, supporters were. The club kept its cards close to its chest. It had 2 players nominate us alone and we got both of them.

We have 4 main planks to our list management strategy:

1. Maintain a solid senior core
2. Add positional depth in our under 23 profile
3. Go to draft
4. Remove any impediments to team culture

However we do recognise areas we struggle. We lost all of our small forwards so got in cheap options like Sumner, Lamb, Wright and Kerridge.

Our midfield is shallow and we don't know if Gibbs will try to leave again next year, so we will look to the draft and we got in another experience mid to help with clearances in Palmer.

These cheap little excursions outside our main strategy do not suggest disagreement in the ranks or pressure put on from somewhere. Wright was outside our main planks last year as well.

You have to be flexible.
Well I'd just say if Carlton supporters were speculating about players and got it wrong chances are they are wrong to suggest there is no turmoil.
And there is some smoke and it's getting thicker. It's fine to suggest you don't believe the story but it's harder to deny its gathering legs. Why is it gathering legs?

I don't care if you deny or call the rumour rubbish. It could be for all I care. What I care about is that some say the thread should be deleted. And when I provide a link supporting evidence that the rumour is out there and say it 'might' be related to this thread, the level of preciousness ramped up even further.

Do you think the thread should be deleted?

Saying a thread should be deleted is akin to saying it is bullshit and therefore pointless. Just a different way of saying the same thing. You seem to be hung up on semantics. I don't care if it is deleted as long as those that argue for the rumour are content to have their views held to account.

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
Saying a thread should be deleted is akin to saying it is bullshit and therefore pointless. Just a different way of saying the same thing. You seem to be hung up on semantics. I don't care if it is deleted as long as those that argue for the rumour are content to have their views held to account.
Because that never happens on BF!!!

Someone could print a rumour that 2+2=4 and there would still be some that argue it doesn't. Having views held to account on bF is a given.

Well I'd just say if Carlton supporters were speculating about players and got it wrong chances are they are wrong to suggest there is no turmoil.
And there is some smoke and it's getting thicker. It's fine to suggest you don't believe the story but it's harder to deny its gathering legs. Why is it gathering legs?

Where is the smoke getting thicker? Where is it gathering legs?

From you and from sportingnews who parrots this site and offers no insight at all? I haven't seen its escalation so I do deny it. Show me something credible.

Do you reckon Carlton supporters are a little more invested in their club than you are? Do you think we don't go over every article and understand the culture change we have had? Do you think that some of us don't have close contacts at the club?

Trading is fluid. Carlton were hoping to get a 2015esque GWS deal and take another salary dump to do so. Word is Palmer was a salary dump but he is also midfield insurance. GWS no longer have those ties to Silvagni and they drove a harder bargain that we would have liked thinking we would hand over #5 or whatever pick we got from Adelaide for Gibbs. This is part of the reason we weren't dealing for Gibbs, because we had committed to Marchbank and Pickett and we were just going to lose that pick anyway. Everybody associated with Carlton knows the position we were in so there would be no infighting about that point.

So yeah, Tomlinson was coming for sure but then he wasn't as he won his spot back and played finals. At one stage it was looking like #5 was on the line thus more players were speculated about along with a pick back. Bottom line, we didn't ask for more players in the package because we didn't want to give up #5.

The logic that supporters can speculate about possible trades that don't come off, therefore the chances are they are also wrong that a forum rumour is incorrect has no correlation and no basis in any logical reasoning.

Because that never happens on BF!!!

Someone could print a rumour that 2+2=4 and there would still be some that argue it doesn't. Having views held to account on bF is a given.

Again your analogy is a rumour that is actually true and diminishing those that would argue it. How about someone posting a rumour that 2 + 2 = 5 and concluding that naturally people argue that it doesn't?

There is no actual evidence that this rumour is true, so arguing against it is the natural reaction. The arguing against seems to annoy you for some reason.

I never called for the thread to be deleted. I said it was a turgid pile of crap and proceeded to address points made in it. You quoted me and held me up as an example of this cognitive dissonance you spoke of. When I pressed further, you claim you were aiming at those sooks who wanted the thread deleted. Which is it?

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
Again your analogy is a rumour that is actually true and diminishing those that would argue it. How about someone posting a rumour that 2 + 2 = 5 and concluding that naturally people argue that it doesn't?

There is no actual evidence that this rumour is true, so arguing against it is the natural reaction. The arguing against seems to annoy you for some reason.

I never called for the thread to be deleted. I said it was a turgid pile of crap and proceeded to address points made in it. You quoted me and held me up as an example of this cognitive dissonance you spoke of. When I pressed further, you claim you were aiming at those sooks who wanted the thread deleted. Which is it?
As I pointed out to someone the word 'might' not being a definitive statement, I point out it to you that the word 'could' in this context was an example of a hypothetical.

coryne

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
This thread now is nothing but FuManchu and darth talking s**t without stating any solid sources and a couple of Carlton supporters saying what they are saying has no basis ..... Why hasn't this s**t been locked .....

This thread now is nothing but FuManchu and darth talking s**t without stating any solid sources and a couple of Carlton supporters saying what they are saying has no basis ..... Why hasn't this s**t been locked .....

Now you've done it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lmfao and u accuse me of derailing the discussion ..... There has been 3 or 4 posts by anyone other than you, darth or Carlton supporters over the last 4-5 pages so there is no discussion going just a mindless Carlton troll circle jerk involving 2 people.....
I breathed new life back into your collective indignation. And that alone is my reward.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And there it is......

I don't want the thread shutdown however it would be best if yourself and darthbards were left to wallow in your own s**t.
Why is the story gathering legs outside of this website? If Carlton start the season like they finished 2016 I expect the unrest to escalate quickly. I can understand if you don't believe or want to believe it but I can't see why your so touchy. So SOS or Bolton or Gleeson will probably have to leave and my guess is Bolton will be the one to cop it,but that doesn't necessarily mean Carlton won't be competitive again one day.

May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Why is the story gathering legs outside of this website? If Carlton start the season like they finished 2016 I expect the unrest to escalate quickly. I can understand if you don't believe or want to believe it but I can't see why your so touchy. So SOS or Bolton or Gleeson will probably have to leave and my guess is Bolton will be the one to cop it,but that doesn't necessarily mean Carlton won't be competitive again one day.

Phew!! I thought we were doomed forever, especially after reading your previous "insider" knowledge . However your last sentence, if we can call it that, has made me feel so much better.

I like your guess and I am in full agreement if we have a poor start to the year then Bolton will go, I reckon round 6.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Phew!! I thought we were doomed forever, especially after reading your previous "insider" knowledge . However your last sentence, if we can call it that, has made me feel so much better.

I like your guess and I am in full agreement if we have a poor start to the year then Bolton will go, I reckon round 6.
Well it is only an educated guess. Who do you think will be sacked though out of Bolton or SOS/Mckay/Gleeson. The whole way the thing has been set up was always doomed for Boltons downfall if he wasn't willing to let other make all the calls.

Just a side benefit to providing the link. Are you saying I shouldn't have provided the link?

Couldn't care less. Just think your side benefits are on the nose.

I'm enjoying the collective discomfort here thanks. And when I get this reaction, it seems all so worthwhile.

Definition of a troll.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Definition of a troll.
There will be people that get enjoyment from what's currently going on at Carlton but that doesn't make it any less of a problem.
I'm expecting more light to be shed on this situation as the season gets nearer and I think some in the media are well aware of what's going on but will sit on the story until football news becomes more relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back