Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Thread starter #1
Good morning friends,

Let me preface this: My current job is very well paying, but it is emotionally draining with long hours and questionable management. I would prefer to work a job in the same industry but with possibly a greater focus on my original discipline.

I have applied for a few jobs and have essentially been given the go-ahead until the monetary offer is made, at which point, I decline the offer (considerable reduction).

I am concerned that if I keep applying for jobs and the monetary offer is 90% of the time not up to scratch, that i might be sullying my name in the industry (energy sector). Has anyone here who have been in a similar position been worried that they might get black-listed by HR to the point where you will be disregarded? I think that my name could quickly be associated with time-wasting (though it would be nice if they gave a bit of an idea of re-reimbursement up front).

Thanks guys in advance for your thoughts on this First World conundrum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

00Stinger

Duel Group 1 winner
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
Good morning friends,

Let me preface this: My current job is very well paying, but it is emotionally draining with long hours and questionable management. I would prefer to work a job in the same industry but with possibly a greater focus on my original discipline.

I have applied for a few jobs and have essentially been given the go-ahead until the monetary offer is made, at which point, I decline the offer (considerable reduction).

I am concerned that if I keep applying for jobs and the monetary offer is 90% of the time not up to scratch, that i might be sullying my name in the industry (energy sector). Has anyone here who have been in a similar position been worried that they might get black-listed by HR to the point where you will be disregarded? I think that my name could quickly be associated with time-wasting (though it would be nice if they gave a bit of an idea of re-reimbursement up front).

Thanks guys in advance for your thoughts on this First World conundrum.
discuss money before the interview

Hamingja

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Where are you applying for jobs from?

The online websites might not display the salary on the ad but employers put one in behind the scenes so you can play around with the slider thing and find out what $10k band the salary is in anyway. At least it is somewhat of a guide and you can rule out the extreme lowball jobs upfront.

Most places have a contact on the ad so before even applying you can also ring up and maybe discuss the position and your background a little bit and work your way towards salary expectations after you have broken the ice a bit.

AFL Club
Essendon
IMO, if you'r turning down jobs in your field because the pay isnt up to scratch, then you are digging a deep hole.

If you want to focus on the one thing, then maybe the money might need to be less. Think 'would your current employer keep the same pay for reduced workload or just to allow you to focus on the one discipline?'

AFL Club
Geelong
IMO, if you'r turning down jobs in your field because the pay isnt up to scratch, then you are digging a deep hole.

If you want to focus on the one thing, then maybe the money might need to be less. Think 'would your current employer keep the same pay for reduced workload or just to allow you to focus on the one discipline?'

Also, if you do really well at your new job, you may get a promotion and pay rise soon enough.

Just because you start off with that salary, doesn't mean that you can never make more later on, if you stick with it, and perform above expectations. Good workers are hard to find.

AFL Club
Geelong
I refuse to do commission only jobs.

I did one once, and it was a lot of work for little return.

I need a steady wage, and am reasonable with pay, provided I get a consistent income.

AFL Club
Essendon
Only job I quit after a day (being told it was good pay before I joined) was being a courier. Spent a whole day only getting jobs in the city as they refused to give me longer trips as a newbie and then using a whole tank of petrol for only measly $50 I quit. Wouldn't have been able to keep it up.

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Been approached for a new role, would be a step up, working for a company who produce infrastructure which is the future of my industry I believe. More money, more responsibility, I'm happy with what I earn now though and have a good boss, hmm, I'm not sure.

L_W_P

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints, Boston Celtics
Everyone is different but I chase happiness over the cash. I spent too many years chasing higher wages and burning myself out mentally.

Have spent the last 2 years in a job I like on less pay but I am way more motivated to get into the office, get shit done, talk about my day with the wife etc.

Top Bottom