Turning down jobs | BigFooty

Turning down jobs

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by Sherrinator, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Sherrinator

Sherrinator Norm Smith Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    BBFFC, Southport AFC
    Good morning friends,

Let me preface this: My current job is very well paying, but it is emotionally draining with long hours and questionable management. I would prefer to work a job in the same industry but with possibly a greater focus on my original discipline.

I have applied for a few jobs and have essentially been given the go-ahead until the monetary offer is made, at which point, I decline the offer (considerable reduction).

I am concerned that if I keep applying for jobs and the monetary offer is 90% of the time not up to scratch, that i might be sullying my name in the industry (energy sector). Has anyone here who have been in a similar position been worried that they might get black-listed by HR to the point where you will be disregarded? I think that my name could quickly be associated with time-wasting (though it would be nice if they gave a bit of an idea of re-reimbursement up front).

Thanks guys in advance for your thoughts on this First World conundrum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. 00Stinger

00Stinger Duel Group 1 winner

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
    discuss money before the interview

3. Hamingja

Hamingja Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Where are you applying for jobs from?

The online websites might not display the salary on the ad but employers put one in behind the scenes so you can play around with the slider thing and find out what $10k band the salary is in anyway. At least it is somewhat of a guide and you can rule out the extreme lowball jobs upfront.

Most places have a contact on the ad so before even applying you can also ring up and maybe discuss the position and your background a little bit and work your way towards salary expectations after you have broken the ice a bit.

Tallest likes this.
  4. Jack Richards

Jack Richards Club Legend

Essendon
    IMO, if you'r turning down jobs in your field because the pay isnt up to scratch, then you are digging a deep hole.

If you want to focus on the one thing, then maybe the money might need to be less. Think 'would your current employer keep the same pay for reduced workload or just to allow you to focus on the one discipline?'

5. Catters 070911

Catters 070911 Club Legend

Geelong

Also, if you do really well at your new job, you may get a promotion and pay rise soon enough.

Just because you start off with that salary, doesn't mean that you can never make more later on, if you stick with it, and perform above expectations. Good workers are hard to find.

6. Catters 070911

Catters 070911 Club Legend

Geelong
    I refuse to do commission only jobs.

I did one once, and it was a lot of work for little return.

I need a steady wage, and am reasonable with pay, provided I get a consistent income.

7. Jack Richards

Jack Richards Club Legend

Essendon
    Only job I quit after a day (being told it was good pay before I joined) was being a courier. Spent a whole day only getting jobs in the city as they refused to give me longer trips as a newbie and then using a whole tank of petrol for only measly $50 I quit. Wouldn't have been able to keep it up.

Bomberboyokay likes this.