Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Good morning friends,

Let me preface this: My current job is very well paying, but it is emotionally draining with long hours and questionable management. I would prefer to work a job in the same industry but with possibly a greater focus on my original discipline.

I have applied for a few jobs and have essentially been given the go-ahead until the monetary offer is made, at which point, I decline the offer (considerable reduction).

I am concerned that if I keep applying for jobs and the monetary offer is 90% of the time not up to scratch, that i might be sullying my name in the industry (energy sector). Has anyone here who have been in a similar position been worried that they might get black-listed by HR to the point where you will be disregarded? I think that my name could quickly be associated with time-wasting (though it would be nice if they gave a bit of an idea of re-reimbursement up front).

Thanks guys in advance for your thoughts on this First World conundrum.

Good morning friends,

Let me preface this: My current job is very well paying, but it is emotionally draining with long hours and questionable management. I would prefer to work a job in the same industry but with possibly a greater focus on my original discipline.

I have applied for a few jobs and have essentially been given the go-ahead until the monetary offer is made, at which point, I decline the offer (considerable reduction).

I am concerned that if I keep applying for jobs and the monetary offer is 90% of the time not up to scratch, that i might be sullying my name in the industry (energy sector). Has anyone here who have been in a similar position been worried that they might get black-listed by HR to the point where you will be disregarded? I think that my name could quickly be associated with time-wasting (though it would be nice if they gave a bit of an idea of re-reimbursement up front).

discuss money before the interview

Where are you applying for jobs from?

The online websites might not display the salary on the ad but employers put one in behind the scenes so you can play around with the slider thing and find out what $10k band the salary is in anyway. At least it is somewhat of a guide and you can rule out the extreme lowball jobs upfront.

Most places have a contact on the ad so before even applying you can also ring up and maybe discuss the position and your background a little bit and work your way towards salary expectations after you have broken the ice a bit.

IMO, if you'r turning down jobs in your field because the pay isnt up to scratch, then you are digging a deep hole.

If you want to focus on the one thing, then maybe the money might need to be less. Think 'would your current employer keep the same pay for reduced workload or just to allow you to focus on the one discipline?'

Also, if you do really well at your new job, you may get a promotion and pay rise soon enough.

Just because you start off with that salary, doesn't mean that you can never make more later on, if you stick with it, and perform above expectations. Good workers are hard to find.

I refuse to do commission only jobs.

I did one once, and it was a lot of work for little return.

I need a steady wage, and am reasonable with pay, provided I get a consistent income.

Only job I quit after a day (being told it was good pay before I joined) was being a courier. Spent a whole day only getting jobs in the city as they refused to give me longer trips as a newbie and then using a whole tank of petrol for only measly $50 I quit. Wouldn't have been able to keep it up.

Everyone is different but I chase happiness over the cash. I spent too many years chasing higher wages and burning myself out mentally.

Have spent the last 2 years in a job I like on less pay but I am way more motivated to get into the office, get s**t done, talk about my day with the wife etc.

Good morning friends,

I also work in the energy industry (21 years now) and, despite its apparent size, it's a small market. There are some roles, such as customer service, that are easily transferable to a different industry, but by and large energy is a specialty that's difficult to move away from. Even moving within the industry can be difficult, particularly if you don't want to move cities. As you appear to be in SEQ, your choices are even more limited than mine (Sydney) or someone in Melbourne.

And, yes, you could easily be put in the 'time waster, don't bother' bucket. Not just by HR, but by the hiring managers. Because its a small industry and people move around a lot, you do get known. I was trying to employ someone once a few years back and made an offer, only to have the guy string out the negotiations for several weeks. In the end he turned us down and went to someone else, turns out he was negotiating with us both at the same time. Good on him and I hope he made the right choice. But if his CV ever crosses my desk again, it'll have to look pretty special and be an exact match for the role for me to even bother.

I turned down an additional task in my line of work which was basically a resource admin. $200 extra (before tax) to manage, buy, catalogue and distribute resources. Collect at end of year. Assign additional tasks and collect data for my peers and best of all: complete any additional tasks set by Leadership.

This is on top of doing my standard workload which keeps me at work from 8am-5pm.

Asked my boss if I get given time to do it during work hours: Nope.

Will this have the potential pathway to a leadership role: Nope.

My response: Shove it.

Good morning friends,

Or on the flip side it means you won't settle for s**t and accept less than what you're worth.

* the campaigners. Good on you. And good on you for being patient.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need a good balance people as you're well aware. You can't work for peanuts, but can't work so that your job is making you peanuts. Health and happiness are the key, but you also need to get sufficient income. The first comes foremost though imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back