Remove this Banner Ad

sbagman

Club Legend
Nov 17, 2000
Scumshine
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Did I see the news report correctly?

I thought I saw Australia trying to palm off more assylum seekers to the island nation of Tuvalu, which is in danger of disappearing due to rising ocean waters. They barely have enough land for themselves, yet we, with so much land, ask them to take assylum seekers!

Kinda like a beggar going up to a man in a business suit, with wads of $100 notes coming out of his pockets, and asking him for a buck.... and the rich man says "no, sorry mate, can't spare anything.... ask that other beggar there!".

Sbagman.

Originally posted by sbagman
Did I see the news report correctly?

I thought I saw Australia trying to palm off more assylum seekers to the island nation of Tuvalu, which is in danger of disappearing due to rising ocean waters. They barely have enough land for themselves, yet we, with so much land, ask them to take assylum seekers!

Kinda like a beggar going up to a man in a business suit, with wads of $100 notes coming out of his pockets, and asking him for a buck.... and the rich man says "no, sorry mate, can't spare anything.... ask that other beggar there!".

Sbagman.

yeapp... i heard that on the radio this morning, and almost choked on my coffee...
esp the part where they are in danger of being swallowed up by rising waters... tiny speck of a nation expected to take in some refugees... what a disgrace..

Just read Tuvalu asked both Australia and NZ if they could move some of their population here.... NZ said yes, Australia said no.

The whole nation has 11,000 people.

We are priicks.

Just when I thought we couldn't get any lower than offloading refugees onto Nauru!

Howard, you've made your point and won the election can you now try to act like a decent, compassionate human being, or is that beyond you!

You know what really annoys me about this tough stance by the government.

A boatload of Vietnamese boatpeople were picked up at Ashmore Reef, (close to Darwin) and were moved to Christmas Island. I can't understand the logic in that at all.

Especially when a new "temporary" holding facility has been built in Darwin to house the boatloads of illegal immigrants.

Whats the point of bringing them to Christmas Island. Is Mr Howard trying to say you can never get to Australia? Hate to tell you Johnny, no matter if you like it or not, Christmas Island is part of Australia.

:rolleyes:

Australia ranks up with the USA in producing the most greenhouse gasses per capita, the very cause of the rising sea level.

Yet we can't take in the people who are affected by it. :(

Perhaps if they were white farmers of Zimbabwe were being inundated by seawater room could be found? :rolleyes:

We will pay eventually for our sins, human beings are human beings regardless of race, color and religeon.

My heart goes out to the refugees or asylum seekers or whatever you want to call them the fact is, the one thing forgotten is they are human beings they are someones sons and daughters and brothers and sisters and mothers and fathers.

They seek refuge from war and hunger and poverty and a lifestyle no one in Australia could ever imagine.

They are unfortunate people in unfortunate times and we should all feel deeply ashamed at the treatment handed out to these people.Where in the hell are we all headed when some of us can derive pleasure at other peoples misfortunes.

Have we become that selfish and heartless to the point we dont care about our brothers and sisters. Who in the hell do we think we are that as a nation we can stand and say 'your not wanted we dont care' is it because of there middle eastern appearance ? or religeon ? that seems to get blamed for every wrong doing on this planet.

Have we not forgotten how lucky we are to have born in such a wonderful country and it is only so wonderful because we are so far away geographically from every one else.

I can tell you this if australia was placed on the other side of the world surrounded by many other countries would we be any better ? umm i think not.

And if you and I were born in war and poverty wouldnt you try and seek a better place to live ? umm i think so.

So before all you petty jealous cretins go jumping up and down that those poor people are not required in this country i dare you to put yourself in there position for one stinking second let alone a life time to witness the pain and suffering these people constantly live with.

We as a nation have a moral responsibility to welcome these people and to tend to what ever needs they require. Once we stop caring we might as well cease to exist, we are all on this planet together and only together will we make it a better planet.

Nice one joffa

eloquent and straight fom the heart - well said and hear hear !

You've certainly got an almost Neil Kinnock-like talent for rhetorical flourish haven't you ?

On the point - well, you all know how I feel about these issues.

Let em in, let em ALL in.

We need entrepreneurial, resouceful, determined, and aspirational people like these guys who risk everything for a better life in a country like Australia.

But no, sorry, - wrong skin colour, wrong language, wrong religion.

Australia prefers to let in dead-beat Euro-trash backpackers who overstay their tourist visas at the rate of 60,000 a year instead of a few hundred Arabs.

go figure :confused:

Westcoast, by my criteria, you are a racist.

Australia is not a CHRISTIAN country, it is a secular one.

And I would like to bet if Australia was exclusively christian, you'd be saying that the Proddys/Catholics should go home.

But you did hit on the main fear of most racist voters, that somehow the standard of living would fall.

Do you like asian or other exotic food ? There wasn't much of that in australia while the white australia policy was in vogue ? Aren't things like that part of the standard of living ?

Amazas me that right wingers want australia to be a 'closed shop' but bleat on and on and on when a union wants an industry to be a closed shop - it's the same thing in my book.

Affectionately,
Pessimistic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by i_luv_westcoast
The fact is different cultures don't mix well. They never have, but we pretend they do.

B U L L S H I T

My girlfriend is a hindu and has a different culture in many respects to mine. Are you saying that we are pretending to each other? You're wrong.

It's narrow-minded people that don't mix...it has nothing to do AT ALL with race.

BSA it not a few hundred arabs. It is thousands of arabs. If we allow them in more and more will come. How many can we cope with? Thousands will turn into hundreds of thousands.

12,500 IN TEN YEARS IS HARDLY "HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS"

If we have to look after them it will costs billions of dollars. That means taxes go up, and people wont invest here anymore. Thus our standards of living will fall. Sounds very dramatic I know, but it will eventually happen.

SO IT MAKES SENSE TO SPEND 30 MILLION TO KEEP A FEW THOUSAND ON ISLANDS WHEN IT WOULD COST A FRACTION OF THAT TO PROCESS THEM HERE.

I agree we probably do have to increase our refugee intake.

AS LONG AS THE COLOUR IS RIGHT?

My question is this, why do the Arabs want to come to Australia for? They have arrived in Indonesia which is a Muslim country, wouldn't they settle in better there?

WHERE WOULD YOU RATHER GO?

Why come to a Christian country which is no where near as accepting of them. The reason is they will have a better life here right. They are safe in Indonesia, but they would be better off financially in Australia. We all know this and it can't be denied.

i ACCEPT THEM. READING OTHER POSTERS THEY ACCEPT THEM. SAFE IN INDONESIA???? (DO YOU READ THE NEWS LATELY?)

As for Australia being racists, have you been to a muslim country. they hate westerners. They are so suspicious of us its not funny. My Dad had to go to Iran for work purposes, his phone calls were listened into, and he was followed around.

I LIVED IN MALAYSIA FOR THREE YEARS WITH THE AIR FORCE AND I FELT SAFER THERE THAN SOME PARTS OF AUSTRALIA I HAVE LIVED. AS FOR YOUR DAD IN IRAN, ARE THEY GOOD ENOUGH TO TRADE WITH BUT YOU WOULDN'T WANT THEM TO LIVE THERE?

The fact is different cultures don't mix well. They never have, but we pretend they do. Look at Northern England, there were riots there not long ago between the Pakistani's and the Caucasions. These two sets of people can't stand each other. In Indonesia the Muslims in some islands are massacring the christians. The same is happening in Nigeria as we speak.

hOW MANY CULTURE'S IN AUSTRALIA? DO WE HAVE RIOTS EVERY WEEK, NO DO WE HAVE KILLINGS, NO
WE SHOW THE WORLD WHAT CAN BE DONE.

I know a lot of you will come back with comments saying im racist and whatever. I'm just stating facts, and the fact is most Australians feel the same way as me. If we are all racist so be it, but don't think for a second that we are the only ones. The muslims are just as bad in their own countries, and think about this. If the roles were reversed would the Muslims accept us Christians into their countries? I some how doubt it.

MOST AUSTRALIANS FEEL THE SAME WAY DO THEY?

(STRAIGHT OUT THE ONE NATION HANDBOOK!!)

Well good on you Briedis, im quarter Indian, quarter English and half Australian. What does that make me. Individuals get along briedis but communities don't. Tell we where in the world everyone gets along relatively peacefully? In Sydney Muslim youths have been accused of attacking white females because of their race. You can't tell me Muslims treat women well. I just don't like they way the majority of Ausralians are made to feel bad for re-electing John Howard.

Well good on you Briedis, im quarter Indian, quarter English and half Australian. What does that make me. Individuals get along briedis but communities don't. Tell we where in the world everyone gets along relatively peacefully? In Sydney Muslim youths have been accused of attacking white females because of their race. You can't tell me Muslims treat women well. I just don't like they way the majority of Ausralians are made to feel bad for re-electing John Howard.

If individuals can get along, then why should we just accept that communities can't?

No need to be snooty.

Communities DO get along. There are occasional problems, yes, but that occurs in any facet of life. Get used to it. As a general rule you can't tell me that Italian, English, Irish, Polish, Greek, Croatian, Polynesian, Russian, Jewish (etc) Australians don't get along.....that is rubbish.

Why are you focused on Muslims so much? Not all Muslim countries treat women badly, so that is a ridiculously generalised remark. It was one group of Muslim boys, an isolated, unfortunate incident...it does not mean that ALL muslim peoples think in the same manner.

It's time people like you start to judge others on their individual strengths and faults than to make broad racial generalisations.

I'm sorry to hear about your relative, but that doesn't mean that ALL muslims are bad people. There have been many atrocities on both sides in that conflict, but I do not believe that Isreali people are inherantly bad people either.

Yes, of course some Muslims are bad people, just like there are bad people from any race, but the majority are just people like you and me trying to live their lives in peace.

My grandfather was killed in a concentration camp by Japanese, but it does not mean that ALL Japanese people are capable of commiting the crimes that happened there....bad things happen in times of war. My best friend today is half-Japanese. You can't hold grudges as it means that it will never end.

Iluvwestcoast.... I'm not going to bother replying to your posts, they're not worth replying to.

BSA.... where'd you get the number of 60,000/year? Just curious...

Sbagman.

I'd like to ask a question - if peace comes to Afghanistan, as it looks like it might, although it's early days yet, and the country is able to rebuild under a more tolerant regime and with a lot of international help, can the boat people and those in transit camps still be classified as refugees? Or will they be returned to Afghanistan?

I would think, if it was my country, I would rather live there with my own people than anywhere else in the world, if I could do so without fear.

I'm not sure if Afghans are going to be living without fear.

The Northern Alliance, whilst not as brutal and fundamental as the Taliban, are still quite brutal as well. It won't until a new mutli-partisan government is formed that the people can relax a little bit. Although, that may start a whole new conflict for power.

Good question on refugee status, though. I'm not sure on the exact classifications set by the UN for refugee status, but I suspect that foreign countries will not consider them refugees as such anymore.

Muslims aren't sexist now are they? They treat women wonderfully don't they.

Certainly do. I mean, how did Megawati Surkano-Putri, who is a woman, become President of Indonesia....which just happens to be home to the world's larged Muslim population. Then there's Turkey, a secular Islamic nation, who (if I remember correctly) has had a female Prime Minister. And there's also all those female Islamic students that graduate from Indonesian, Malaysian, Turkish and Egyptian universities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back