rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
Seems to be joint production of Fox and Seven - assume these graphics are a one-off for the joint production but still not a fan tbh. Italic looks really dumb when not being used for emphasis imo

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 8.01.02 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 8.01.02 pm.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 285
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 8.01.25 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 8.01.25 pm.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 273
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Apologies if I’ve missed someone else bringing it up but there were no actual sponsor logos on the ground tonight, the broadcast had digital logos on the ground. From memory they did this last year for AFLX but I do wonder if this will eventually be rolled out in the season proper.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Apologies if I’ve missed someone else bringing it up but there were no actual sponsor logos on the ground tonight, the broadcast had digital logos on the ground. From memory they did this last year for AFLX but I do wonder if this will eventually be rolled out in the season proper.

No wonder the ground looked in mint condition.

Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I think its because the aleague is on their tommorow and the afl asked Melbourne victory to keep the seats back so it might be a sweetner for the pitch to look more clear and less work cleaning all the paint

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
They've used GCI logos for AFLX previously, when they were playing at Hindmarsh and SFS mere days prior to A-League matches as well.
I think eventually we'll see it, possibly in conjunction with the on-field advertising - eg main Premiership and Sponsor logo painted, and a rolling digital one in the 50m area etc.

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
They've used GCI logos for AFLX previously, when they were playing at Hindmarsh and SFS mere days prior to A-League matches as well.
I think eventually we'll see it, possibly in conjunction with the on-field advertising - eg main Premiership and Sponsor logo painted, and a rolling digital one in the 50m area etc.
Last year many NRL matches I attended at ANZ had only the NRL Premiership logo on the ground. Part of this may be to allow broadcasters to source their own sponsors and run their own Viz rigs per shot as part of their packages, but it also will preserve the grass.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Last year many NRL matches I attended at ANZ had only the NRL Premiership logo on the ground. Part of this may be to allow broadcasters to source their own sponsors and run their own Viz rigs per shot as part of their packages, but it also will preserve the grass.
Yeah the NRL have been doing it for some time. All came about when they had to refund a heap of sponsorship $$ from a SoO game at ANZ that rained so much they could hardly paint the field markers.
The NRL control the sponsors still based on the days of the matches (eg Bundaberg Friday Night Footy) and their major partners, but in some other places I think it's used that advertising can be more specific to the broadcast location. Could also mean that in 20 years when you're doing a historical package your former major sponsor, who is the rival of your current major sponsor, doesn't get airtime.

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
Could also mean that in 20 years when you're doing a historical package your former major sponsor, who is the rival of your current major sponsor, doesn't get airtime.
That would assume a clean feed is being kept by the broadcasters though. For all intents and purposes, what you see is what you get. A camera is connected to Viz, then the Viz outputs the camera's feed + the augmented graphics to the vision mixer as if it was the camera. It's more a convenience thing, but funny you mention Origin as Origin and the Grand Final are the only time the NRL seems to use painted fields in ANZ anymore.

Also, to those curious, VizRT uses "match movement" to generate its graphics by analysing the image from the camera to work out the angles and to properly transform/distort the image. Older systems such as those used previously by the NFL used encoders on the camera mount to determine the camera's pan, tilt and zoom to composite the image. Both systems have their pros and cons but Viz does seem a bit slower to respond to movement in my opinion. It does however seem to have really good and consistent chroma-keying which helps with the realism factor. There is also an inherent delay to the broadcast as the Viz system(s) add latency and require other sources to be appropriately delayed to compensate for this.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
but funny you mention Origin as Origin and the Grand Final are the only time the NRL seems to use painted fields in ANZ anymore.
I think NZ is the only place they regularly paint the logos anymore, at least a couple of years back.
For SoO and the GF I think they still paint the logos so any "clean" broadcast (deliberate or accidental) and any photos etc would still get all the logos, but I dare say they'd have the backup of CG logos set so thet wouldn't lose all that advertising big bucks from the showpiece matches if they again get to a scenario where they could only mark the pitch in time.

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
I think NZ is the only place they regularly paint the logos anymore, at least a couple of years back.
For SoO and the GF I think they still paint the logos so any "clean" broadcast (deliberate or accidental) and any photos etc would still get all the logos, but I dare say they'd have the backup of CG logos set so thet wouldn't lose all that advertising big bucks from the showpiece matches if they again get to a scenario where they could only mark the pitch in time.
I dare say Sky Sport may not have the resources for VizRT gear but I may be misguided there. I reckon you're bang on, you'd have Viz on standby if rain washes away the field. Also worth noting that Viz is used for some A-League games (pretty sure the Perth v Sydney GF at Optus) to add virtual advertising boards which looks hilarious when players walk over them but don't stack it like you involuntarily expect them to.

The SoO game at Optus last year also had CG ads on the ground, I think that's because with the fake strands on grass at Optus, the paint lasts a lot longer, I remember seeing the 50m line on the ground in the middle of cricket season for example
For sure. I think ANZ and Optus are both grass + artificial turf reinforcement fields and both show "staining" during code switchovers. I dare say Optus being an AFL-first stadium would have barred advertising on the surface for a one-off NRL game.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I'd be keen to see grounds that are multiuse extend their "clean stadium" to the field as well by allowing perhaps a maximum of 1 painted logo plus the field markings, and the rest must be CGI.

Seems to be joint production of Fox and Seven - assume these graphics are a one-off for the joint production but still not a fan tbh. Italic looks really dumb when not being used for emphasis imo
None of the camera people were wearing branded bibs. They were all red without any logos

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
We already see it in state leagues, surprises me they’re using it at lower levels and not the highest level.

God that Coles centre circle looked awful though.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
We already see it in state leagues, surprises me they’re using it at lower levels and not the highest level.

God that Coles centre circle looked awful though.
Digital on-grass advertising in state footy?

cogs2hawks

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fox and Channel 7 are both getting new score tickers for 2020. Fox’s is still the same style, just some small aesthetic changes. I don’t like it. Haven’t seen Channel 7’s but it’s going to be quite different to how they historically do theirs.

does the fox footy one backup the fox sports rebrand video leaked recently (eg same font as that vid)

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Fox and Channel 7 are both getting new score tickers for 2020. Fox’s is still the same style, just some small aesthetic changes. I don’t like it. Haven’t seen Channel 7’s but it’s going to be quite different to how they historically do theirs.

Seven have had more or less the same graphics since 2012, with only minor tweaks as the years progressed. The whole style still riffed on the 2007-11 set as well. An entire graphics overhaul is in order for 7 IMO. Look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Back