Red Crow

Modrarator
Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
The big disappointment for me is that this isn't actually a complete graphical overhaul. Its just an extension of the 3D effects that 7 started using for finals matches the last two seasons. All the graphics other than the scorebug are just slightly modified versions of what was being used last year. Massive opportunity wasted IMO.

That said though, the actual scorebug itself is growing on me. Its different enough to the old one that it feels somewhat fresh, unlike in 2018 when all they did was add the glassy effect but kept the general design the same. I do think it could benefit from being scaled down slightly though, and the clock/stats probably need to be a contrasting colour. It all feels a bit too dark and you would expect a lot of teams will have black or navy as their background colour.

I do really like the full team bar being in club colours. Its something I've wanted to see for a while now (if I ever get around to finishing my AFL2023 portfolio you'll see that I implemented the concept in my own designs), and Fox could easily have done it with their refresh last season. Looking forward to seeing a team that doesn't have white in their colours though because I'm thinking we might see the actual scores in club colours too. Seems to be an evolution of what we've previously seen for player names, so if they continue it through to the scorebug, Hawthorn for example would be brown numbers on a gold background. I think that will look really good if they do it.

All in all, room for improvement, but its a start.

Gibbsy

Oct 12, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester City, Victory, Cavs
I got over the disappointing graphics after a quarter or so, but having the scorebug fade in and out no less than 30 times throughout the match and reverting to a count-up clock from midway through the second quarter was pretty unprofessional

fancyscum

I C O N
May 19, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
The clock looked like an afterthought to me, everything else had a subtle gradient to it and the clock was just in a blank black box with text that didn't line up with the score at all.

Only other thing I would really like to see is a little more differentiation between the G's and B's tally and the actual score. perhaps with a lighter font, or a contrasting box.

magpiemaniac44

All Australian
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
I like it and it is a huge improvement on the one they’ve previously had but I reckon it would look much better if the time box was white with black numbers. Otherwise it’ll just blend in against predominantly dark sides like tonight.

The Victorian

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Next
The big disappointment for me is that this isn't actually a complete graphical overhaul. Its just an extension of the 3D effects that 7 started using for finals matches the last two seasons. All the graphics other than the scorebug are just slightly modified versions of what was being used last year. Massive opportunity wasted IMO.

That said though, the actual scorebug itself is growing on me. Its different enough to the old one that it feels somewhat fresh, unlike in 2018 when all they did was add the glassy effect but kept the general design the same. I do think it could benefit from being scaled down slightly though, and the clock/stats probably need to be a contrasting colour. It all feels a bit too dark and you would expect a lot of teams will have black or navy as their background colour.

I do really like the full team bar being in club colours. Its something I've wanted to see for a while now (if I ever get around to finishing my AFL2023 portfolio you'll see that I implemented the concept in my own designs), and Fox could easily have done it with their refresh last season. Looking forward to seeing a team that doesn't have white in their colours though because I'm thinking we might see the actual scores in club colours too. Seems to be an evolution of what we've previously seen for player names, so if they continue it through to the scorebug, Hawthorn for example would be brown numbers on a gold background. I think that will look really good if they do it.

All in all, room for improvement, but its a start.
Next match is suns v dees so we’ll get a much better indication there

new0066

Draftee
Jan 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I like it and it is a huge improvement on the one they’ve previously had but I reckon it would look much better if the time box was white with black numbers. Otherwise it’ll just blend in against predominantly dark sides like tonight.
maybe they can change the colour of the clock to contrast the colours of the teams? Like today it could of been white with black text and for other, brighter colour teams it could be black with white text

Red Crow

Modrarator
Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Next

Next match is suns v dees so we’ll get a much better indication there
I wonder if this gives any hints. Some have text in club colours, but others just have white. Can kinda understand it for Melbourne because red on navy isn’t the easiest on the eyes, but thought gold text for Suns and Lions would be fine.

D4654CD1-BC9E-423D-8265-51F43B05C955.jpeg

Bwillow11

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
It’s definitely FOX NFL-esqe, that’s for sure. Overall not bad, grew on me, but at the moment there is next to no brand recognition provided by the graphics, and they are too big also.

TheLoungeLizard

The world's most handsome man
Oct 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Newcastle United, New York Yankees
I got over the disappointing graphics after a quarter or so, but having the scorebug fade in and out no less than 30 times throughout the match and reverting to a count-up clock from midway through the second quarter was pretty unprofessional
I can answer the clock bit, sort of.

The actual scores and time come from the AFL - or AFL timeskeeper.

So when a goal is signaled, the score folks register it on a computer and that is sent to 7's graphics (somehow) and likewise the clock - so when the clock disappears or counts up - it's the AFL fixing something or checking something, not 7 or Fox.

I learnt this as a fresh 18 year old in a pub asking a guy who worked for 7 a million questions, now looking back the poor guy was clearly hitting on me and tolerating such niche questions just to get some action - unfortunately for him, he did not

Ahern2Boof

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Unfortunately, it's to be expected when:

A: It's the first game of the season
B: It's at a second-tier venue
C: It's a new graphics look

Fading in and out is a much better look (and much more preferred) than de-animating it off then animating it back on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Canterbury, CC Mariners, Man Utd
Unfortunately, it's to be expected when:

A: It's the first game of the season
B: It's at a second-tier venue
C: It's a new graphics look

Fading in and out is a much better look (and much more preferred) than de-animating it off then animating it back on.
"Second tier venue" is arguably a compliment for Ikon Park. I'd have gone with tenth-tier. Trash ground

Ahern2Boof

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So when a goal is signaled, the score folks register it on a computer and that is sent to 7's graphics (somehow) and likewise the clock - so when the clock disappears or counts up - it's the AFL fixing something or checking something, not 7 or Fox.
The clock data at Tier 2 venues are usually fed back to the graphics kit via a hotspot on someone's phone. So when the clock disappears, it's 98% of the time because of a data drop out.

SomeNorthFan

Rookie
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades, Clemson Tigers
F
The clock data at Tier 2 venues are usually fed back to the graphics kit via a hotspot on someone's phone. So when the clock disappears, it's 98% of the time because of a data drop out.
Data Dropout, not a good ad for telstra...

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
Was expecting the fox graphics to change as they usually change every 3 years?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I believe right before COVID-19 that there was a new brand leak but they put that off - Fox's graphics packages are all in-house and cohesive between sports so if their AFL stuff changes, you'd expect their NRL, A-League, NBL, etc. to change. Only outlier is their boxing which tends to be MAINEVENT focused, not FOX SPORTS.

magpiemaniac44

All Australian
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
Was expecting the fox graphics to change as they usually change every 3 years?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If they do get new graphics they might unveil them for the start of the AFL season rather than AFLW. If I remember correctly that’s what they did in 2018 when they removed the flags from the scoreboard.

Remove this Banner Ad