Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Are fox and 7 sharing the footage and adding graphics
The cameramen are all in Fox shirts.
Sharing footage and doing their own graphics and commentary. I would assume only one edit, so both networks showing the same angles at the same time.

Screencaps of the graphics:
92de6f68fbbe840e89e083bfba12ddb181243a77.jpeg

ca55bb07e13a4d1ac33d22005495a0007610e805.jpeg

1b3317d8a9ff6005b17e60dde4c11fb1db65e001.jpeg

f0ed65300a9422980d63cd32f99e8e3900c91a80.jpeg

I don't think so, I don't recall seeing 7 use the sky cam angle.
Given it's specifically called the "Flying Fox" and has Fox Cricket branding on it, that'd be a fair point.
Has anyone else noticed if Seven show different shots, between balls or in replays?

Still looks like Seven need to recruit two different teams of graphic designers - one for sports and one for news. It's quite odd to see a cricket broadcast that looks the same as the election night broadcast:

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 6.23.00 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 6.23.16 pm.png

IMG_3233.jpg

I can understand keeping a similar vibe among all of the sports and their broadcast packages as a whole, but I think this may be a little to the same

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still looks like Seven need to recruit two different teams of graphic designers - one for sports and one for news. It's quite odd to see a cricket broadcast that looks the same as the election night broadcast:

View attachment 592876
View attachment 592877

View attachment 592878

I can understand keeping a similar vibe among all of the sports and their broadcast packages as a whole, but I think this may be a little to the same
could we see this translate into their AFL Coverage?

They're just as crap as the last ones.

It's like a kid did a week-long graphic design course and is throwing every effect they learnt at the screen. Highlights, shadows, gradients, transparency, the lines in the boxes. It's way too much.

The new heading font and the regular font don't work together at all. Everything lacks consistency. Alignments are all over the place. Random red and yellow colours are thrown in. Some things are capitalised, some aren't.

Total mess.

The cameramen are all in Fox shirts.
Sharing footage and doing their own graphics and commentary. I would assume only one edit, so both networks showing the same angles at the same time.

Given it's specifically called the "Flying Fox" and has Fox Cricket branding on it, that'd be a fair point.
Has anyone else noticed if Seven show different shots, between balls or in replays?

Here's the deal: Fox have the main feed and produce a full broadcast (given they have the rights to more games like ODIs and all BBL matches, I suppose it means they're entitled to). This means all camera angles are covered through Fox; in total I think it's about 40-50 cameras on a cricket broadcast, including spider-cam, unmanned cameras (stump cam, hot spot, run out cam etc.), studio cameras and handheld cameras on the field for interviews and lunch break shows.

Channel 7 come in "over the top" of the main broadcast. They have their own broadcasts trucks but I'd imagine a smaller overall crew. They take the main feed from Fox during the ball-by-ball action, but also have additional "exclusive" cameras to their broadcast – maybe 5 or 10, normally positioned on the "corners" (on the ground behind the four slips cordon areas), maybe one out at deep mid wicket boundary and normally a fish-eye high and wide angle of the entire stadium. So 7 take the raw Fox feed (without Fox graphics, comms etc) and can then cut in and out with their own shots.

All of this is due to the different commentary teams and the need to match up the pictures to the words. For example: if the Ch7 commentators are talking about Mitch Starc, the Ch7 director will want to cut to shots of Starc on the field. This wouldn't be possible if they took only the Fox broadcast but the Fox commentators are talking about Usman Khawaja and have shots of Khawaja – it wouldn't make sense from Ch7's point of view because the words won't match up to the pictures. This is why they have a few of their own cameras; it's to tell a story.

So if you flick back and forth between the two channels quickly, or put them up side-by-side on two screens at the same time, you'll notice the main action shots are exactly the same (ie. the bowler bowling to the batsman, the fielder chasing the ball etc.) but in between balls its usually different shots dependent on the discussion of the commentators.

(Source: I've worked in TV)

Last edited:
More about scorebug:
c68dea2590f07ba8a9bba1719575b013ee1426a7.jpeg

56807fb4d1fc7d9ecba1a067714e1d794b836f3f.jpeg

a51da23910a33e1d01a7c8cb9d56989c6bed6cab.jpeg

5682b2ca6c235b39c47ac92d3085fc0663437460.jpeg

0153794bafac882a201c748cb2704fe8ec1d8836.jpeg

c3ab3ee533377c57ec3b465d11e091481eb181cc.jpeg

7b630ccb724d2132864728760f640ae6feaf260a.jpeg

38c898983fa8b492fe17df65e0d87b84a4f29c40.jpeg
These screenshots are great. How did you get them? Are you a subscriber to the cricket.com.au video streams?

The Ch7 graphics are much better than their WBBL efforts which looked immediately ancient, however I'm still not convinced. The different gradients on the scorebug, the gradient on the text, the persistent use of drop shadows, the glassy effect – these are all outdated design styles. Flat, minimal designs with single colour blocks are the way to go today. Also I reckon there needs to be more padding on the scorebug. Text is too close to the edges of the boxes containing them, making it look crowded. I don't think Fox's graphics are perfect either (don't like the slanted shapes and typeface) but they're better overall.

However I do like the "stacked" design of Ch7's player stats, ie. that third picture with KL Rahul's career stats; the data looks so much cleaner and easier to read in a tower design in contrast to lower thirds stretched across the bottom.

My favourite cricket graphics is this one below. I believe it's the ICC's own graphics for major tournaments like World Cups. This is so innovative yet still very simple to read, economic with its use of space and is able to fit in the essential stats without looking overcrowded. Maybe change the pink colour palette though.

The main scorebug being in the middle just makes sense. Watching cricket on TV is a very "centralised" experience. The wicket is in the centre of the screen, the batsman is in the centre of the wicket, the stumps are right up the centre as well. The scorebug being in the centre too just seems appropriate – as long as it doesn't get in the way, then you're on a winner. This is perfect.

2qiqtfb.jpg

2nsq2ib.jpg

33bzak3.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the deal: Fox have the main feed and produce a full broadcast (given they have the rights to more games like ODIs and all BBL matches, I suppose it means they're entitled to). This means all camera angles are covered through Fox; in total I think it's about 40-50 cameras on a cricket broadcast, including spider-cam, unmanned cameras (stump cam, hot spot, run out cam etc.), studio cameras and handheld cameras on the field for interviews and lunch break shows.

Channel 7 come in "over the top" of the main broadcast. They have their own broadcasts trucks but I'd imagine a smaller overall crew. They take the main feed from Fox during the ball-by-ball action, but also have additional "exclusive" cameras to their broadcast – maybe 5 or 10, normally positioned on the "corners" (on the ground behind the four slips cordon areas), maybe one out at deep mid wicket boundary and normally a fish-eye high and wide angle of the entire stadium. So 7 take the raw Fox feed (without Fox graphics, comms etc) and can then cut in and out with their own shots.

All of this is due to the different commentary teams and the need to match up the pictures to the words. For example: if the Ch7 commentators are talking about Mitch Starc, the Ch7 director will want to cut to shots of Starc on the field. This wouldn't be possible if they took only the Fox broadcast but the Fox commentators are talking about Usman Khawaja and have shots of Khawaja – it wouldn't make sense from Ch7's point of view because the words won't match up to the pictures. This is why they have a few of their own cameras; it's to tell a story.

So if you flick back and forth between the two channels quickly, or put them up side-by-side on two screens at the same time, you'll notice the main action shots are exactly the same (ie. the bowler bowling to the batsman, the fielder chasing the ball etc.) but in between balls its usually different shots dependent on the discussion of the commentators.

Thanks for that. It seemed to me how it would work for these major matches. The cameramen I got a good look at (members stand midwicket and ones running around on the ground) were Fox. But I did notice a couple of new camera spots, like at the top of the seating in front of the hill.
In all I think (not having yet seen Test cricket on TV this summer) they've nutted out a solid arrangement.

Thanks for that. It seemed to me how it would work for these major matches. The cameramen I got a good look at (members stand midwicket and ones running around on the ground) were Fox. But I did notice a couple of new camera spots, like at the top of the seating in front of the hill.
In all I think (not having yet seen Test cricket on TV this summer) they've nutted out a solid arrangement.
What I heard was Fox produced the Test matches (toss, DRS, pitch report and cameras) and Seven were doing the Big Bash, WBBL and Womens Internationals. That was part of the deal that I read in an article a few days ago.

Excellent insight! I imagine it would be the same with their NRL coverage too but would it be the same for footy?

Excellent insight! I imagine it would be the same with their NRL coverage too but would it be the same for footy?
Footy if Seven produces a game Fox shows it as is, and crosses back to the studio at half time. To a greater or leseer degree. And vice-versa.

Because 7s white bar is a different gradient, it looks a bit like a ribbon being held between the two 'solid' score and over blocks.
Based on that, I'd love to see them ditch all the extra info, leaving just the score and maybe the overs up permanently - with the board expanding to show the white bar occasionally. Be a bit more understated.

As "host broadcasters" of the Tests, the screens under the stands etc are using the Fox feed.

But now as we wait for play to eventually start, they're showing highlights of last night's WBBL with the Fox Cricket logo in the top right, even though the "host broadcaster" of that match was Seven. Interesting.

As "host broadcasters" of the Tests, the screens under the stands etc are using the Fox feed.

But now as we wait for play to eventually start, they're showing highlights of last night's WBBL with the Fox Cricket logo in the top right, even though the "host broadcaster" of that match was Seven. Interesting.

I'd say it's like the AFL, where the Fox broadcast is used (so it has the Fox Footy logo on the scree) but the host broadcast is Seven, and uses their graphics. Rather than try and source the footage from both Seven and Fox, they can use Fox's raw footage and the simulcast given to them by Seven

Remove this Banner Ad

Back