Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
As an aside, the graphics in use for the broadcast aren't 'Australian Open' per se, but actually a suite developed for the entire summer of tennis (presumably for TA). They were used for Brisbane International, Sydney International, Hopman Cup and interestingly last year's Kooyong Classic, but not this years (this year's was broadcast by SBS).

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was watching the final of the Auckland tour event the other day and the score graphics were a bit of a throwback. Norrie played Sandgren, but like many graphics back in the day, they just used the first three letters of each name so it was NOR-SAN. Gotta say that the switch to full names was definitely an improvement.

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
You_Doodle+_2019-01-18T15_16_24Z.JPG

Without Photoshop at the moment, this is a demo of what the Channel 7 cricket graphics should look like.

View attachment 609310
I know they've only had the current set for a year, but could fox move to something like this next year given the cricket has this? They do like to change it up a lot (excuse BF for squishing it)

I'd love the see the cricket graphics almost exactly the same for the footy, down the bottom, two teams scores on the left, and stats + match information on the right. I'm a big fan of graphics stretching across the bottom, doesn't intrude as much as it can on top of the screen

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd love the see the cricket graphics almost exactly the same for the footy, down the bottom, two teams scores on the left, and stats + match information on the right. I'm a big fan of graphics stretching across the bottom, doesn't intrude as much as it can on top of the screen
Not sure if you meant 7 or Fox, but I had a go at 7's:

DMGsPlV.png

Not sure if you meant 7 or Fox, but I had a go at 7's:

DMGsPlV.png

I was thinking they could both do it, these came up fantastic. Only change I'd make is to use icons for the teams rather than their full logo:

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 4.51.22 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 4.51.45 pm.png

Other than that, these graphics came up great. Fingers crossed they look at doing something like this in 2019, it looks heaps better than the 2012-17/2018 style

I was thinking they could both do it, these came up fantastic. Only change I'd make is to use icons for the teams rather than their full logo:

View attachment 611344 View attachment 611343

Other than that, these graphics came up great. Fingers crossed they look at doing something like this in 2019, it looks heaps better than the 2012-17/2018 style
Yeah, this would be a much better idea, The white collingwood and richmond text is getting lost at the moment and would be even worse with a moving image, this is a far cleaner execution (for the cricket ones as well).

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
A scorebar in AFL is so unnecessary though. All you need are the scores and the time. Extra info like last score or stats don't need to permanently be on the screen, its just clutter IMO.

Do agree Seven need to come up with a little team graphic for cricket though, rather than just whacking the full logo over the top.

A scorebar in AFL is so unnecessary though. All you need are the scores and the time. Extra info like last score or stats don't need to permanently be on the screen, its just clutter IMO.
this is true, the bar across the bottom does have a news vibe or something like NFL redzone or a Soccer Saturday rather than a proper sports broadcast.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I just want the number of overs the bowler's bowled on the Fox ticker to go with the batsmen's balls faced.

Yeah, this would be a much better idea, The white collingwood and richmond text is getting lost at the moment and would be even worse with a moving image, this is a far cleaner execution (for the cricket ones as well).

Given that they end up blocking the scores at every stoppage to give stats anyway, a space left in the scorebar (like what TimothyJ23 did) means they can pop up in real time and be in more detail (like the 'Match Alerts' at the MCG and Eti... Marvel). And it means the commentators can focus on calling the match rather than making a meal of telling stats when something is happening on the field

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

View attachment 611344 View attachment 611343

Hmmm, not sure it works as well.

FTENtnZ.png

Given that they end up blocking the scores at every stoppage to give stats anyway, a space left in the scorebar (like what TimothyJ23 did) means they can pop up in real time and be in more detail (like the 'Match Alerts' at the MCG and Eti... Marvel). And it means the commentators can focus on calling the match rather than making a meal of telling stats when something is happening on the field
But the stats are already popping up in real time with more detail than what this system proposes, and we don't have to run a bright blue bar across the bottom of the screen. The commentators in an ideal world should be able to call stats and play at the same time. I'd argue that at the moment, 7's commentators are better at reading stats than calling the play, although, that's not saying much. 7's graphics at the moment are far less intrusive than any scorebar could be, that's not a dig at TimothyJ23's design, more so the idea of a bar in general.

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
But the stats are already popping up in real time with more detail than what this system proposes, and we don't have to run a bright blue bar across the bottom of the screen. The commentators in an ideal world should be able to call stats and play at the same time. I'd argue that at the moment, 7's commentators are better at reading stats than calling the play, although, that's not saying much. 7's graphics at the moment are far less intrusive than any scorebar could be, that's not a dig at TimothyJ23's design, more so the idea of a bar in general.
My chief complaint about 7's graphics is that the logos are almost indecipherably small - I guess that's fine though given the clubs' full name appears beside it. I rate Fox's tbh.

They usually pop up at stoppages when the moment has passed. Also, there's no place for match facts in the current score graphic either, quotes like "GEEL: last 5 centre clearances" or "GEEL: last 10 inside 50's" would be helpful and add context to the game even when the play is moving fast (which is supposedly going to happen this season) and the commentators can't find time to tell everyone

Back