Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Ten's first scorebug was pretty average for sure.
Fox Footy's one along the bottom in the early 2000's had potential but it was just a little bland, although the rest of that particular graphics package was kinda cool.

Fox's current scorebug is sadly up their with one of the worst for me. It is so uninspired, and honestly any scorebug that has club colours needs to represent the colours worn on the day...not what is convenient for the broadcaster.

Funny thing is, my TV at the time had different size format so the bar actually looked like it was right on the bottom and that looked fine

It was only when I found out it sat above the bottom and cut off the action I didn't like it

The worst would be the original 7 scorebug in 97- hard to see against a light background being its biggest fault. However as it was the first Aussie Rules permanent scorebug it cn be let off slightly.

Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg

I have never been a fan of the 2000 Seven one either. Boring, looks like a PowerPoint job. More disappointing considering the experiments taken with the 98 and 99 versions (which are two of my favourites).

Picture3.jpg

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
Funny thing is, my TV at the time had different size format so the bar actually looked like it was right on the bottom and that looked fine

It was only when I found out it sat above the bottom and cut off the action I didn't like it
Analogue television had something called over/under-scan which meant you had to leave a safe area for text and other graphics that some TVs wouldn't display. With digital and particularly HD television this is less of an issue, but when your signal is a fluctuating voltage then you have to leave a bit of tolerance.

Analogue television had something called over/under-scan which meant you had to leave a safe area for text and other graphics that some TVs wouldn't display. With digital and particularly HD television this is less of an issue, but when your signal is a fluctuating voltage then you have to leave a bit of tolerance.
Interesting

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
Interesting
Here's a comparison of what you would see online (from a well calibrated tape dubbing setup such as AFL/NRL) versus what would have been seen on TV sets of the time. Notice the graphics designers had to leave a sizeable margin around the edges of the graphics. That margin stayed well into the HD era to allow people with older sets not to lose scores/times or logos. That's only changed in the past 5 years or so as 4:3 TV's have gone the way of Betamax.
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 13.50.21.png

Last edited:

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
Here's something else for you: with most people now getting HD content on HD/4K TV's through HDMI (standard on the iQ 1.5 and above and on most set-top-boxes) or through digital ready TVs with flat screens, most broadcasters have shifted from providing 4:3 safe content (for old CRTs) that would be simulcast on analog TV (shutdown in 2013) to native 16:9 content. A lot of channels shifted around 2015 to producing 16:9 native content which would be cut off on older televisions unless letterboxed. Compare a recent Fox Footy broadcast with the 2005 Grand Final on Ten (digital and analog). Now that A/V tech is more stable and all-digital, there is less of a risk of poorly calibrated equipment over/under scanning an image, although this can happen, especially if using an analog connection such as composite or component RCA (my aunty's iQ1 loses about 10% of Fox League's image).

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 14.44.28.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 14.47.05.png

This would be it for me. Funny enough, Fox Footy have some of the best and worst scorebugs, I think their current is probably the best so far its just really clean.
View attachment 892174
Each to their own but I actually really liked this one. It was easy to read, dared to look a bit different and was a dynamic the way it would spin onto the screen. It wasn't perfect but at least there was a time when Channel 7 graphics department were prepared to do something interesting.

Storm20

Been Here A Long Time
Aug 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Surprised no one has mentioned the new angle shot at Marvel yesterday. It looked like drone footage but was unsure. Didn't hate it, didn't love it either. Looked like I was watching a video game.

Surprised no one has mentioned the new angle shot at Marvel yesterday. It looked like drone footage but was unsure. Didn't hate it, didn't love it either. Looked like I was watching a video game.
Its just Skycam isn't it?

Back