Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The big disappointment for me is that this isn't actually a complete graphical overhaul. Its just an extension of the 3D effects that 7 started using for finals matches the last two seasons. All the graphics other than the scorebug are just slightly modified versions of what was being used last year. Massive opportunity wasted IMO.

That said though, the actual scorebug itself is growing on me. Its different enough to the old one that it feels somewhat fresh, unlike in 2018 when all they did was add the glassy effect but kept the general design the same. I do think it could benefit from being scaled down slightly though, and the clock/stats probably need to be a contrasting colour. It all feels a bit too dark and you would expect a lot of teams will have black or navy as their background colour.

I do really like the full team bar being in club colours. Its something I've wanted to see for a while now (if I ever get around to finishing my AFL2023 portfolio you'll see that I implemented the concept in my own designs), and Fox could easily have done it with their refresh last season. Looking forward to seeing a team that doesn't have white in their colours though because I'm thinking we might see the actual scores in club colours too. Seems to be an evolution of what we've previously seen for player names, so if they continue it through to the scorebug, Hawthorn for example would be brown numbers on a gold background. I think that will look really good if they do it.

All in all, room for improvement, but its a start.

I got over the disappointing graphics after a quarter or so, but having the scorebug fade in and out no less than 30 times throughout the match and reverting to a count-up clock from midway through the second quarter was pretty unprofessional

The clock looked like an afterthought to me, everything else had a subtle gradient to it and the clock was just in a blank black box with text that didn't line up with the score at all.

Only other thing I would really like to see is a little more differentiation between the G's and B's tally and the actual score. perhaps with a lighter font, or a contrasting box.

I like it and it is a huge improvement on the one they’ve previously had but I reckon it would look much better if the time box was white with black numbers. Otherwise it’ll just blend in against predominantly dark sides like tonight.

Next
The big disappointment for me is that this isn't actually a complete graphical overhaul. Its just an extension of the 3D effects that 7 started using for finals matches the last two seasons. All the graphics other than the scorebug are just slightly modified versions of what was being used last year. Massive opportunity wasted IMO.

That said though, the actual scorebug itself is growing on me. Its different enough to the old one that it feels somewhat fresh, unlike in 2018 when all they did was add the glassy effect but kept the general design the same. I do think it could benefit from being scaled down slightly though, and the clock/stats probably need to be a contrasting colour. It all feels a bit too dark and you would expect a lot of teams will have black or navy as their background colour.

I do really like the full team bar being in club colours. Its something I've wanted to see for a while now (if I ever get around to finishing my AFL2023 portfolio you'll see that I implemented the concept in my own designs), and Fox could easily have done it with their refresh last season. Looking forward to seeing a team that doesn't have white in their colours though because I'm thinking we might see the actual scores in club colours too. Seems to be an evolution of what we've previously seen for player names, so if they continue it through to the scorebug, Hawthorn for example would be brown numbers on a gold background. I think that will look really good if they do it.

All in all, room for improvement, but its a start.
Next match is suns v dees so we’ll get a much better indication there

‪It kinda has a similar feel to the graphics the AFL use at grounds...‬

Attachments

• D1F800B2-B6AB-4198-9176-573B93DFADF1.png
    D1F800B2-B6AB-4198-9176-573B93DFADF1.png
    845.3 KB · Views: 155
I like it and it is a huge improvement on the one they’ve previously had but I reckon it would look much better if the time box was white with black numbers. Otherwise it’ll just blend in against predominantly dark sides like tonight.

maybe they can change the colour of the clock to contrast the colours of the teams? Like today it could of been white with black text and for other, brighter colour teams it could be black with white text

Next

Next match is suns v dees so we’ll get a much better indication there

I wonder if this gives any hints. Some have text in club colours, but others just have white. Can kinda understand it for Melbourne because red on navy isn’t the easiest on the eyes, but thought gold text for Suns and Lions would be fine.

D4654CD1-BC9E-423D-8265-51F43B05C955.jpeg

It’s definitely FOX NFL-esqe, that’s for sure. Overall not bad, grew on me, but at the moment there is next to no brand recognition provided by the graphics, and they are too big also.

I got over the disappointing graphics after a quarter or so, but having the scorebug fade in and out no less than 30 times throughout the match and reverting to a count-up clock from midway through the second quarter was pretty unprofessional
I can answer the clock bit, sort of.

The actual scores and time come from the AFL - or AFL timeskeeper.

So when a goal is signaled, the score folks register it on a computer and that is sent to 7's graphics (somehow) and likewise the clock - so when the clock disappears or counts up - it's the AFL fixing something or checking something, not 7 or Fox.

I learnt this as a fresh 18 year old in a pub asking a guy who worked for 7 a million questions, now looking back the poor guy was clearly hitting on me and tolerating such niche questions just to get some action - unfortunately for him, he did not

Unfortunately, it's to be expected when:

A: It's the first game of the season
B: It's at a second-tier venue
C: It's a new graphics look

Fading in and out is a much better look (and much more preferred) than de-animating it off then animating it back on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately, it's to be expected when:

A: It's the first game of the season
B: It's at a second-tier venue
C: It's a new graphics look

Fading in and out is a much better look (and much more preferred) than de-animating it off then animating it back on.
"Second tier venue" is arguably a compliment for Ikon Park. I'd have gone with tenth-tier. Trash ground

So when a goal is signaled, the score folks register it on a computer and that is sent to 7's graphics (somehow) and likewise the clock - so when the clock disappears or counts up - it's the AFL fixing something or checking something, not 7 or Fox.

The clock data at Tier 2 venues are usually fed back to the graphics kit via a hotspot on someone's phone. So when the clock disappears, it's 98% of the time because of a data drop out.

This might just be only me but I like this and maybe it could work as the main Scorebug. It shows the full logos and it’s not too big

Attachments

• EE9C5E88-90B3-46B0-80EC-D0831F54CB99.jpeg
    EE9C5E88-90B3-46B0-80EC-D0831F54CB99.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 163
  • F8AA4980-8306-4871-AE24-D15085C36801.jpeg
    F8AA4980-8306-4871-AE24-D15085C36801.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
F
The clock data at Tier 2 venues are usually fed back to the graphics kit via a hotspot on someone's phone. So when the clock disappears, it's 98% of the time because of a data drop out.
Data Dropout, not a good ad for telstra...

Was expecting the fox graphics to change as they usually change every 3 years?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I believe right before COVID-19 that there was a new brand leak but they put that off - Fox's graphics packages are all in-house and cohesive between sports so if their AFL stuff changes, you'd expect their NRL, A-League, NBL, etc. to change. Only outlier is their boxing which tends to be MAINEVENT focused, not FOX SPORTS.

Was expecting the fox graphics to change as they usually change every 3 years?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If they do get new graphics they might unveil them for the start of the AFL season rather than AFLW. If I remember correctly that’s what they did in 2018 when they removed the flags from the scoreboard.

The Ch 7 graphics look a lot better today I can’t pick out why though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back