Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't done macros in like 5 years so i thought i would give it a try, managed to get a working scoreboard using the above colours as a ref

View attachment 1071316

Currently it's pretty minimal but it does the following:
- 1 click button to add Goal or behind, same to remove (in case of score decision change), no need to manually calculate
- Team selection by a list, auto-populating the nickname on scorebug
- Conditional Logos on team selection they auto-populate using Power Of Optimism's amazing minimal logos

Things i could change
- Add conditional colours on team background
- Stopwatch function (start/stop timer)
- Conditional data grab based on quarter that grabs stop clock time, stats and feeds into a second scorebug with overall view
- Button to change the "QTR" state
- Potential flashing text or animation on Goal Add
- Button for temporarily (fade id/fade out) score worm (excel graph), assigning a timestamp to each button click so that goals for and against can be tracked on a table

To be honest macros are nifty, i'd forgotten how powerful excel can be

if anyone is keen, the main macro for adding a value to a cell is

Sub T1GoalAdd()
Sheet1.[E24] = Sheet1.[E24].Value + 6
End Sub

Where T1GoalAdd is the macro name, in this case assigned to the first button for Team 1
E24 is the current score for Team 1 and the Value is the score value to add

You can manipulate this macro for behinds etc
I would suggest the following instead to allow you to keep track of goals and behinds
C-like:
Sub T1GoalAdd()
    Sheet1.[*goals cell*] += 1 // += is the same as saying variable = variable + x
    CalcScores()
End Sub

Sub CalcScores()
    Sheet1.[*home total score*] = (Sheet1.[*home goals*] * 6) + Sheet1.[*home behinds*]
    Sheet1.[*away total score*] = (Sheet1.[*away goals*] * 6) + Sheel1.[*away behinds*]
End Sub

Doing it that way would allow you to more easily change score values AND force the sheet to recalculate every time the score changes. I don't know much VBA but this looks like pretty standard Visual Basic code which I am familiar with. You could do a nested function where each button passes the team, type of score and whether it is adding or subtracting, such as this:
C-like:
Sub ScoreChange(Home, Goal, Add)
    If Home
        If Goal
            If Add
                Sheet1.[*home goals*] += 1
            Else
                Sheet1.[*home goals*] -= 1
        Else
            If Add
                Sheet1.[*home behinds*] += 1
            Else
                Sheet1.[*home behinds*] -= 1
        End If
    Else
        If Goal
            If Add
                Sheet1.[*away goals*] += 1
            Else
                Sheet1.[*away goals*] -= 1
        Else
            If Add
                Sheet1.[*away behinds*] += 1
            Else
                Sheet1.[*away behinds*] -= 1
        End If
    End If
    CalcScores()
End Sub

Sub CalcScores()
    Sheet1.[*home total score*] = (Sheet1.[*home goals*] * 6) + Sheet1.[*home behinds*]
    Sheet1.[*away total score*] = (Sheet1.[*away goals*] * 6) + Sheel1.[*away behinds*]
End Sub
Then in each button I would call the following:
Code:
// home goal add
ScoreChange(True, True, True)

//home goal subtract
ScoreChange(True, True, False)

//home behind add
ScoreChange(True, False, True)

//home behind subtract
ScoreChange(True, False, False)

//away goal add
ScoreChange(False, True, True)

//away goal subtract
ScoreChange(False, True, False)

//away behind add
ScoreChange(False, False, True)

//away behind subtract
ScoreChange(False, False, False)

Let me know if any of that helps - it can keep your program smaller than having one main function for similar tasks than having 8 separate functions. It also makes debugging easier in some ways because you only have one function to worry about or modify instead of 8.

EDIT: BigFooty doesn't preserve spaces or tabbing in spoilers so sorry about that.

Last edited:
I think we've been known as the Brisbane Lions on every thing ever since inception, to be honest I'd be happy just being called Lions (might help mend some FFC fences too)

I’m pretty sure the scoreboards at Melbourne venues use Lions rather than the BL abbreviation as a gesture for the old Fitzroy fans.

Interesing to see Fox abandon the BL though. Would have thought it was a club directive to use it to acknowledge both sides of the merger. My memory says that channel ten ran with the BRIS abbreviation for about half a season or so in 2002 when they first got the TV rights before reverting to BL, presumably at the clubs request.

I would suggest the following instead to allow you to keep track of goals and behinds
C-like:
Sub T1GoalAdd()
    Sheet1.[*goals cell*] += 1 // += is the same as saying variable = variable + x
    CalcScores()
End Sub

Sub CalcScores()
End Sub

Doing it that way would allow you to more easily change score values AND force the sheet to recalculate every time the score changes. I don't know much VBA but this looks like pretty standard Visual Basic code which I am familiar with. You could do a nested function where each button passes the team, type of score and whether it is adding or subtracting, such as this:
C-like:
Sub ScoreChange(Home, Goal, Add)
    If Home
        If Goal
            If Add
                Sheet1.[*home goals*] += 1
            Else
                Sheet1.[*home goals*] -= 1
        Else
            If Add
                Sheet1.[*home behinds*] += 1
            Else
                Sheet1.[*home behinds*] -= 1
        End If
    Else
        If Goal
            If Add
                Sheet1.[*away goals*] += 1
            Else
                Sheet1.[*away goals*] -= 1
        Else
            If Add
                Sheet1.[*away behinds*] += 1
            Else
                Sheet1.[*away behinds*] -= 1
        End If
    End If
    CalcScores()
End Sub

Sub CalcScores()
End Sub
Then in each button I would call the following:
Code:
// home goal add
ScoreChange(True, True, True)

//home goal subtract
ScoreChange(True, True, False)

//home behind add
ScoreChange(True, False, True)

//home behind subtract
ScoreChange(True, False, False)

//away goal add
ScoreChange(False, True, True)

//away goal subtract
ScoreChange(False, True, False)

//away behind add
ScoreChange(False, False, True)

//away behind subtract
ScoreChange(False, False, False)

Let me know if any of that helps - it can keep your program smaller than having one main function for similar tasks than having 8 separate functions. It also makes debugging easier in some ways because you only have one function to worry about or modify instead of 8.

EDIT: BigFooty doesn't preserve spaces or tabbing in spoilers so sorry about that.
Cheers mate, i will have a play with it later :) It was more about could i do it without having to do research, which I was surprised i could, but i might dig out my old* C books

Last edited:

Cheers mate, i will have a play with it later :) It was more about could i do it without having to do research, which I was surprised i could, but i might dig out my C books
Visual Basic is a lot less strict (and therefore easier to learn the basics of) than C and C++ - Stack Overflow is your friend and VB is super easy to do basic stuff in. Alas, I can't test my code as I'm on a Mac atm but I'm fairly sure it should work. The only things I'm not sure about are the += and -= come to think of it - works in Python and C++ and I remember it working on VB.net but if not just do the way you were doing (i.e. x = x + y instead of x += y)

Looks like Brisbane will be titled: Bri instead of BL. Makes sense considering the name will reach more casuals in Queensland. It's okay for Melbourne clubs to have shortened names given it's an AFL city, but most Queenslanders will recognize Bri better than BL. Still surprised that channel 7 are using no names for their broadcast this year. Huge mistake (imo)

Looks like Brisbane will be titled: Bri instead of BL. Makes sense considering the name will reach more casuals in Queensland. It's okay for Melbourne clubs to have shortened names given it's an AFL city, but most Queenslanders will recognize Bri better than BL. Still surprised that channel 7 are using no names for their broadcast this year. Huge mistake (imo)
Should be bne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FOX's NFL Scorebug does that.
yeah came here to say that's what the new 7 scorebug reminds me of.

5e3761d05bc79c58733a6b62

Can someone explain this camera that 7 were running with last night? I’m presuming it was supposed to copy the one used in the Super Bowl this year. Pretty sure that Fox called the setup their “Megaladon”

Super large aperture, short depth, but the frame rate was incredibly low. Felt like I was watching a video game for parts.

twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/1348390735507148802?s=20

155ccb83338821dcfaa8ce2074a4f66e.jpg

Can someone explain this camera that 7 were running with last night? I’m presuming it was supposed to copy the one used in the Super Bowl this year. Pretty sure that Fox called the setup their “Megaladon”

Super large aperture, short depth, but the frame rate was incredibly low. Felt like I was watching a video game for parts.

Channel 7’s entire broadcast is trying to replicate FOX NFL. Score bug and now cameras

t's actually pretty genius. I've done a bit of searching this morning because it's really sparked my interest.

I remember reading something on here a while back about how there has been basically no innovation into cameras and the way that football has been broadcast since the 90s.

From my understanding, Fox basically made this camera up, chucked a wireless receiver on it and just thought 'lets see how it goes', with Twitter absolutely lighting up with positive comments immediately.

The result is something that's super cinematic and just a different feel to what we've come to know and expect. Looks like 7 is trying to copy it, but I did notice as I mentioned before that the frame rate was shite, and it looked a bit jarring. Get that right and you get something super dynamic that will give a really cool effect especially during goal celebrations.

Here's a pic of the rig they ran for the first FOX broadcast. They were calling it a poor mans steadicam.

1616124268616.png 1616124268616.png

Channel 7’s entire broadcast is trying to replicate FOX NFL. Score bug and now cameras
Think they try and take a bit from all NFL broadcasters because nothing they really do is Fox like apart from this camera (which every network was doing by the end of the season anyway)

Think they try and take a bit from all NFL broadcasters because nothing they really do is Fox like apart from this camera (which every network was doing by the end of the season anyway)
As I said, scorebug with only logos and score too

For me, this camera is a huge plus.

Imagine thinking a scoreboard with no team names is a good idea. We don't need to know how many points a team has kicked. Replace this shitty scoreboard and Give us back our team names

get rid of the goals and behinds, only show them after scores.

Fox did it last season, so that could be why 7 is also doing it.

I think it is informative. if someone starts watching mid match, the score breakdown could show how 1 team dominated but couldn’t capitalise.
e.g 5.15. 45 Vs 9.4. 58

Last edited:
I really don’t see the lack of team names as an issue tbh. Feels like whinging for the sake of it. Show me someone who says they don’t know which score is for which team tonight and I’ll show you a liar.

In fact, the full colour bar for each team actually makes it easier to tell at a quick glance. For this reason I actually find Seven’s version better than Fox who only use club colour coding for the team abbreviation.

Fox did it last season, so that could be why 7 is also doing it.

I think it is informative. if someone starts watching mid match, the score breakdown could show how 1 team dominated but couldn’t capitalise.
e.g 5.15. 45 Vs 9.4. 58

Wasn’t a fan of Fox doing it last year, but I think I’ve gotten more used to it and I actually quite like it now for those very reasons you mention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back