Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Screenshot 2021-05-01 151209.jpg
A LOT going on in this 7+ broadcast of the VFL

• Use of the cinematic cameras debuted on the AFL this season (framerate is seemingly too poor for sharp camera and player movement, colour looks off)
  • Broadcast graphics appearing to almost riff off their networks own look (better quality than seen on most other live streams, but worse than the AFL)
  • Jason Bennett and Campbell Brown commentating as per usual

View attachment 1115970
A LOT going on in this 7+ broadcast of the VFL

• Use of the cinematic cameras debuted on the AFL this season (framerate is seemingly too poor for sharp camera and player movement, colour looks off)
  • Broadcast graphics appearing to almost riff off their networks own look (better quality than seen on most other live streams, but worse than the AFL)
  • Jason Bennett and Campbell Brown commentating as per usual
And the scorebug effectively has the colours backwards relative to the jumpers being worn?

Channel 7 just changed Geelong’s graphic colour mid-game from white to blue

Kayo's VFL coverage has Box Hill in the scorebug as HAW.
Someone got in their ear about it at quarter time. And you could literally watch on-screen as they first accidentally changed Werribee (WER) to BOX, then changed that back to WER, then changed HAW to BOX and finally settled on BHH.

Wests Tigers scorecard on Fox League is Black and White as they are wearing the Tommy Raudonikis Tribute Jersey (except for the logo)

Channel 7’s graphics kit broke down momentarily, so the operator had to move to another output. In doing so, the scorebug colours changed back to default. The operator then changed it back during the half time break.

Ah cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Honestly there's no reason why our scorebug should be teal, especially when we are wearing our silver jumper that has no teal. I imagine Collingwood wouldn't be too pleased if 7 did this but I've displayed it on a screenshot of yesterday's game to show how little it would impact Collingwood.
1621852588108.png
1621852603424.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly there's no reason why our scorebug should be teal, especially when we are wearing our silver jumper that has no teal. I imagine Collingwood wouldn't be too pleased if 7 did this but I've displayed it on a screenshot of yesterday's game to show how little it would impact Collingwood.
View attachment 1136334
View attachment 1136335
Looks good, but also screw you.

View attachment 1136334
View attachment 1136335
I completely agree and was going to post something about this yesterday. So far channel 7 have based the colours in the scorebug to match the guernseys on field in every match EXCEPT for Port’s which makes no sense. The concept of the scorebug matching the uniforms is great for casual fans who can immediately tell who’s who in a single glance so having Port in teal completely destroys the purpose of that - especially if there is zero of that colour on the field.

Didn’t make sense in the Eagles game either. Makes it look like blue vs blue. Just make Port black in this instance and problem solved.
DC1E9C5A-CB1B-448A-8651-95FC338929B5.jpeg

View attachment 1136334
View attachment 1136335

Comes back to the face that 7 half arsed things. They have the 'main' colour for each team (used for everything in past years and still used for all graphics other than score bug this year) and 1 alternate colour. For most teams with 2 colours this works fine. Ports 'main' colour on the graphics package is teal and their alternate (used in home games) is black.

7 needs to do things properly and update all their graphics with the custom colours to solve this.

EDIT: Just realised they don't even use black fro Port home games, really need to fix that

Last edited:
I completely agree and was going to post something about this yesterday. So far channel 7 have based the colours in the scorebug to match the guernseys on field in every match EXCEPT for Port’s which makes no sense. The concept of the scorebug matching the uniforms is great for casual fans who can immediately tell who’s who in a single glance so having Port in teal completely destroys the purpose of that - especially if there is zero of that colour on the field.

Didn’t make sense in the Eagles game either. Makes it look like blue vs blue. Just make Port black in this instance and problem solved.
View attachment 1136356
Yep, that bugged me about the Port v WCE game too. Teal being our colour goes in the same basket as being called 'Port Power' these days in the sense that they're not really incorrect but they neglect the history of Port and having other colours than teal and the suburb of Port Adelaide being in our name if you get what I mean. After hearing that Eddie knew heritage round would be canned before signing the PB agreement stuff like this riles me up because it wouldn't surprise me if Collingwood has their hands all over this. Here's a mock up I did of a black/teal scorebug and it looks fine, maybe a lighter shade of teal could work but it's not bad at all and feels more Port Adelaide. Port's score is from the Collingwood game because I needed the black and white numbers to make this.
1621856763737.png

View attachment 1136334
View attachment 1136335
Could you mock up a swans white version please looks great

One of the things I don't get is why goals and behinds are permanently displayed on the graphics display. I get them appearing and shrinking back like 7 used to do, but it's not like total number of goals and behinds back a difference, only the score does. Show the full score at a centre bounce or after a behind, otherwise just the total score

looks like 7 are not matching the Hawks jumper. This could be because it’s the indigenous jumper but surely it’s not difficult. So far 7 have done well with matching the jumpers and the score except with Port Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back