TV Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Roos was absolutely the worst on Sydney games. Is he back on match days this year?
The almost melt down he had when Goodes nearly played on against us was a joke.

Too many ex players jumping in the box and not enough professionals. Have an ex player for special comments, but the code is crying out for more Gybras like commentators. Also, there is no need for 5-7 people calling 1 game, it's all over the place with everyone wanting a piece of the commentary pie. 2 professional commentators in the box, 1 ex player on the boundary.

This is my biggest gripe.

You only need one play by play caller and one analyst. Why do we need 7 callers?

If you want to hear from ex-players, use the quarter time breaks.

That's what Soccer commentary does and it's far superior.

Mate you just contradicted yourself. You say that BT and co arent biased but then talk about how local media is biased. BT and co are victorian. I live in Victoria, i dont see Adelaide media. Its not just Adelaide- perth bris and Sydney teams are constantly put down in comparison to vic teams on the broadcast. Its not a big deal but its there - remember they are commentating for a majority Vic crowd even if the telecast is national.

As for your assertion they barrack for the underdog thats a load of crap - thats Kerry Packer era stuff which finally went out 10 years ago.

Its all about barracking for the biggest stars (according to the media) who just so happen to play for Vic teams. Remember commentary is about selling a product and the product these days isnt the game, its the stars.

Rance, Danger and co are all media darlings.

All the state based callers are biased. Have a listen to Basil or Tim Gossage on WA calls, Kane Cornes on Port calls, Paul Roos and Gerard Healey (on anything swans related) etc etc. I'm talking tv and radio. It's everywhere and they all do it. I view them all as equally poor in calling and bias. Don't even get me started on Brad Johnson, Garry Lyon or Matthew Lloyd.
As for the media darling stuff, you obviously don't hear too much about "the big Texan" or "fast Eddie Betts" or commentary about Sloane then? The media was so busy sucking crow dick before the granny you guys thought all you had to do was turn up. All teams have darlings. Get ready for the Nat Fyfe wankfest.

This is my biggest gripe.

You only need one play by play caller and one analyst. Why do we need 7 callers?

If you want to hear from ex-players, use the quarter time breaks.

That's what Soccer commentary does and it's far superior.

Martin Tyler, what a caller.

Too many ex players jumping in the box and not enough professionals. Have an ex player for special comments, but the code is crying out for more Gybras like commentators. Also, there is no need for 5-7 people calling 1 game, it's all over the place with everyone wanting a piece of the commentary pie. 2 professional commentators in the box, 1 ex player on the boundary.
Good mix- but the AFL also wants the gambling industry representative in the studio to do half time analysis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

After watching tonight's Foxtel telecast I was less than impressed with the biased commentary afforded to the opposition.

Do any of you feel like that? Are there certain teams who get a better run of the green? Are there some commentators who you feel have a hidden/or not so, agenda against certain teams that you feel is over the top. Are there some really good commentators who deserve a shout out?

Is Fox or Free to air better in your opinion?

Feel free to leave your thoughts here!

I hate to be the damp squid mate, and I don't want to make you an escape goat for the amount of misused phrases on here, but I can't let you get off scotch free for that foe par.
Your attempted use of idioms doesn't pass the mustard, to be pacific, It's rub of the green mate.
I don't want to be a social leopard pointing this out, I just hope we can nip this in the butt and get on the straightened arrow.

Most supporters perception of commentator hatred towards teams is nothing more than confirmation bias. They have a preconceived hatred of a commentator and look for evidence to uphold their beliefs.

Despite Gerard Whateley being one of the best commentators around, I have a Freo mate who hates him. Cannot get him to change his views as he brings up flimsy evidence to uphold his point of view.

Doesn't mean commentary standards are satisfactory but most perceptions of bias against certain teams is unfounded.

Most supporters perception of commentator hatred towards teams is nothing more than confirmation bias. They have a preconceived hatred of a commentator and look for evidence to uphold their beliefs.

Despite Gerard Whateley being one of the best commentators around, I have a Freo mate who hates him. Cannot get him to change his views as he brings up flimsy evidence to uphold his point of view.

Doesn't mean commentary standards are satisfactory but most perceptions of bias against certain teams is unfounded.
I disagree, with the amount of ex players in the commentary box they can't help but show bias and it happens to all teams. You can't tell me that Matthew Lloyd remains impartial when discussing Carlton and I'm sure there are other commentators who do have a dislike for certain teams and cannot hide it.

As a Lions supporter, the most disappointing thing I often see in commentary is simply commentators who don't bother reading up on the club and constantly get positions and even names wrong. Tony Shaw and BT are the absolute worst of the lot in that regard.

Huddo is by far the best in the business, and honestly would much rather guys like him who are professional commentators and not just 'ex players'.

This.

BT I agree is just a utensil- plain and simple. Overhyped ego and cringworthy catchcalls.
I can handle the bias you get from some commentators- it is actually great if they are against your team and your team is winning, you just know they are hurting.
But yes the lack of knowledge of interstate teams is concerning for supposed professionals. It was either Dermie or Dunstal (neither have a good thing to say about WCE or any non-vic club) in the JLT cup talking about Darling. Saying he has never taken the next step to kick 40 goals in a season. The bloke kicked 53 in 2012 and 40 + each season since except 39 one year and 26 in a year he only played 15 games. If you dont know what you are talking about just STFU and dont embarrass yourself.
That said, AFL isnt the only sport that suffers these fools. Cricket and RL have their fair share too.

I thought Dal Santo was back playing for the Saints tonight:rolleyes:
Speech impaired Riewoldt actually called Billings the 'pre-eminent' small forward in the comp last night. :drunk:

Try being a WCE supporter, few years back Cam Mooney did a 5 min segment about WCE are the only ones to through the ball in the comp.

Most commentators don't get excited when we do well.

Other than that, they sound like they are pissed at the local pub... Maybe that's what the AFL are going for to appeal to lowest common denominator.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back