TV Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, the biggest issue with the TV commentators is that they forget we can see the play too. So instead of keeping their comments short & swift (ie. just call the players names with the occasional "good tackle" or "big bump" thrown in for colour), they commentate like they would on radio trying to describe and cram in every minute detail they can which is completely unnecessary.

When they also add in their own cute phrases (eg. 'bends it back', 'wobbler' or 'wormburner') they sound like juvenile try-hards and I haven't even got to the inane & irrelevant conversations they have at the expense of what is happening in the game.

For me, the biggest issue with the TV commentators is that they forget we can see the play too. So instead of keeping their comments short & swift (ie. just call the players names with the occasional "good tackle" or "big bump" thrown in for colour), they commentate like they would on radio trying to describe and cram in every minute detail they can which is completely unnecessary.

The over description is ridiculous, I don't know who it's for.

Speaking of, I would love to know if anyone has a way to sync up the ABC feed with the TV and get rid of the delay.

2 commentators, one boundary rider. Have the ex-footballers at half time explaining tactics or whatever. That's what they know.

Commentators should call the game - who has the ball etc. - plus they should be explaining the game, so anyone new to the sport might have a clue what's going on. A complete understanding of the rules should be mandatory, and a few replays of contentious decisions might help people understand what has just happened, rather than endless replays of a chest mark.

Boundary rider can update re; the bench.

More crowd noise. I don't mind hearing the umpires if they are explaining what free kicks are for.

If they want to grow the game overseas (and at home for that matter) then they need to get rid of the cringeworthy stuff - zooper goals, boy-oh-boy wowee! crap. Treat the audience like they're adults that appreciate the game for what it is, treat the game with some respect.

Richie Benaud. He could sum up play in a word. “Shot”. He didn’t feel the need to parrot on like a dickhead for hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richie Benaud. He could sum up play in a word. “Shot”. He didn’t feel the need to parrot on like a dickhead for hours.
Correct. Even two words. He out, dropped him/her. Instead the commentators go for an Andy Maher question/speech. It’s all to fake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is mind boggling is how there is a glut of average and below average play by play callers who consistently make mistakes, consistently say stupid things and are generally incompetent in play by play. Basil, Darcy, Hamish, Derr-wayne, Howard and post 90's Brooce to name a few.

Guys like Speed, Bennett and Papalia are no nonsense, professional and accurate. They deserve more airtime.

Agreed - who is Speed?

Surely everyone notices Bruce has crows scarf on when he calls. Pick any game of theirs in SA and he wills them to win.
I could feel his disappointment on GF day it oozed. Dwayne Lamb tries to bring to much NBA to it "crazy good" * off.
BT although I like, needs the occasional leash of restraint. Darcy is far to self important. Basil trying to hard to emulate Dennis.
I always liked Quarters, I like Huddo but he can get ahead of himself at times. Ian Robertson despite being a cretin from the Blues I really enjoyed when I younger. Damn I will regret this (gulp) I like the press red for Ed and KB commentary. Knowing that it was flat out bias gave it more context for me.

Last night amongst other insightful comments Dwayne said Richmond came from 16th to win the premiership and that Pickett was one of the new recruits. Actually doesn’t have a clue.
Dwayne Also made a comment in our game v Essendon (forgot which player he mentioned) that the player would be playing for Fremantle if there was a one game father son rule.

And we pay to watch and listen to this crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, while I'm whinging about how woeful the boundary riders are..... what's with the overly manly handshake each time they interview a player?

It reeks of floggery, but more of total unprofessionalism. And, it's utterly unnecessary.

Just reinforces that s**t, blokey boy's club culture that stains the AFL.
Come on Bushy there men and when you shake a hand you shake a hand. I don't have a problem with it.

When they also add in their own cute phrases (eg. 'bends it back', 'wobbler' or 'wormburner') they sound like juvenile try-hards and I haven't even got to the inane & irrelevant conversations they have at the expense of what is happening in the game.
You have absolutely nailed it.

Television is a visual medium, we can see the play we don't need anybody trying doing a possession by possession detailed call.

If we did, it would be better to actually get the audio from the Champion Data box as they are actually employed based on player recognition knowledge and they do a much better play by play call...sans the inane banter and competing between commentators to one up the other with a witty line or nickname.

The only commentary you need on TV is the 'special comments' variety...the 'value add', but need to actually determine what adds value.

Concept of a boundary rider is good, if they can get access to the bench or doctors etc.

Having a couple of ex assistant coaches / opposition analysts would be best for analysis instead of the ex players.

And then you can have a host, the guy who pulls everything together and adds colourful comments or pumps up the general game.

Less is more.

Same as the umpiring. People here are just ******* sooks and confirmation bias is real

Of course confirmation bias is real. People see what they want to see, and everyone has a bias.

For example, I have a bias towards truth and justice.

Hi all,

After watching tonight's Foxtel telecast I was less than impressed with the biased commentary afforded to the opposition.

Do any of you feel like that? Are there certain teams who get a better run of the green? Are there some commentators who you feel have a hidden/or not so, agenda against certain teams that you feel is over the top. Are there some really good commentators who deserve a shout out?

Is Fox or Free to air better in your opinion?

Feel free to leave your thoughts here!
Watch North V Richmond elim final from 2015.

Bruce was actively barracking against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back