kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
I don’t know if it was particularly bad yesterday but on a number of occasions during yesterday’s game i thought the tv coverage was crap in the following ways.

1. A player is taking a set shot at goal, and you have no context of where they are on the ground, or if the kick is straight, because they insist in a full screen close up of the player. You’d be better off by a large margin being at the game - where you could see how far out he is, and how hard the shot is, if he has other options, what the defender is doing, etc.

2. A player is running in the midfield with the ball, and again, rather than provide some sort of context re what options he has to kick to, by zooming out a bit, we have to see the full screen mega close up of his hairstyle.

Aussie rules is a sport where what is happening off the ball, (eg leading players) and the player’s position on the ground, are vital to the context of the moment. So by showing nothing but the player with the ball in mega close up you actually lose a lot of meaning in the shot.

TLDR tv producers zoom the * out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was amazed at how good the drone footage was in the saints doggies game.

On the flip side....
I have no idea why the AFL think they have to have close up shots all the time in an effort to hide the empty seats - it’s not like 98% of the fans watching don’t already know the stadium is empty 🤦‍♂️

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

KP - I have to admit, watching without the sound, I was really frustrated a number of times with the camera angles chosen.

I had to switch it off in the 1st quarter after the physiotherapist spent 3 min letting us know he was the AFL's expert on syndesmosis.

Thought the same. I've never minded Healy - but he is a special comments guy and we hear from him too much. Actually, is it just me or are we getting way less play-by-play and way too much nonsense like what you refer to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if you could watch every game live without any commentators and from just a few fixed angles with the best visibility. I don't think that will ever be possible in our world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back