TV footage of Tasmanian football on Youtube

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone just posted the SoO game from 1990 on youtube

I have never seen the match as it is before my time. Can't wait.

Outside of Hobart and Richmond premierships that was my favourite football day ever!
I was there and remember how parochial the crowd was that day, it was immense.
That last quarter it was almost pitch black, I was standing up the back of the Horrie Gorringe Stand and could hardly see my shoes on the floor it was that dark.
Awesome day.

Outside of Hobart and Richmond premierships that was my favourite football day ever!
I was there and remember how parochial the crowd was that day, it was immense.
That last quarter it was almost pitch black, I was standing up the back of the Horrie Gorringe Stand and could hardly see my shoes on the floor it was that dark.
Awesome day.
It saddens me that I will never know what that feeling. I will never know what it was like watching my home state on the footy field at the highest lvl.

It saddens me that I will never know what that feeling. I will never know what it was like watching my home state on the footy field at the highest lvl.

It is. Thats why we want a place in the AFL. It will unite footy people here, just like the old state games did. Like the BBL has done.

It'll be interesting to see how the approach to the NBL with the 'Southern Huskies' proposal goes. The whole approach has been well thought out. The stadium & associated development looks very impressive. Development will happen whether they get the NBL team or not. The thing is, the plan & approach has been made by Tasmanian's who run the SEABL team & have been involved in the game.

The difference is that the AFL run football here & have shown nothing but disdain for Tasmania.

I went to all three of those SOO's at North Hobart.
1989 there was a huge stuff-up with the ticketing and there were lines a mile long outside the gates well into the first quarter and people got pissed off and went home.
Crowd was only about 12,000.
1990 was built up like no game I'd ever known before (maybe except the '79 Grand Final) and the buildup went for weeks, every day.
1991 the AFL deliberately orchestrated the match to be a failure by scheduling it at 11am on a working day Tuesday in Hobart!
I can remember getting there at about 9:30am to take my seat up in the Cazaly Stand and the dew was still on the grass and a bit of fog clearing!
Over 14,000 turned up to watch and Tasmania had it in the bag until late in the game when they let the Vics back in and I think it was Ken Hinkley from Geelong (now Port Adelaide's coach) kicked a bag and got them over the line with about a minute to go, it was a match we never should've lost.
I remember the cartoon in the paper the next day with everybody in the crowd wearing Tasmanian map masks to avoid being seen wagging school or work!
AFL canned it anyway and then sent us a combined Queensland/NT side with Jason Dunstall running amok, at Bellerive, about two years later.
Bellerive was a fail for SOO, crowd was less than 10,000, atmosphere was rubbish and Tasmania never looked inspired or in the hunt. And that was it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The famously thrilling 1979 TFL Grand Final played in front of a record 24,968 people at North Hobart.
The crowd on that day was the single largest sporting attendance ever recorded in Tasmania up until 2004 when 30,150 attended a V8 Supercars Championship event at Symmons Plains Raceway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back