TV footage of Tasmanian football on Youtube

Remove this Banner Ad

Glenorchy v Burnie Hawks at KGV.
Saturday, 22nd May 1993.
The infamous match which was abandoned at the 26 minute mark of the final quarter due to Burnie Hawks' defender Dale Whish-Wilson refusing to leave the ground after being sent off.

Thanks, just watched the first five minutes and the last twenty of the final quarter. Quite enjoyable.

Thanks, just watched the first five minutes and the last twenty of the final quarter. Quite enjoyable.
The crowds were certainly more into it and vocal back in those days! It just reminded me of how noisy the Glenorchy supporters used to get, all crammed in there in front of the social club and main stand back in the day.

Thought there was going to be a riot after the game, looking at the crowd surging back and forth in front of the stand.
Yes it looked like things were about to kick off bigtime.
I believe there was a large disturbance in Anfield Street after the match, I was at the Hobart v Sandy Bay match at North Hobart that day where the Tiges got belted in the second half and the KGV game was both the ABC's radio and TV game, can remember Rod Kilner, one of the radio reporters saying on the radio what was going on outside the ground and in the outer. Was a pretty controversial match at the time, first match to be abandoned since the 1967 State Grand Final I believe, certainly the first TFL match to be.
As good a player as Whish-Wilson was, he was a total headcase and a loose cannon a fair bit of the time.
There were a lot of those getting about in most clubs in those days though, different era.
Ironically, these two sides fell away quite a bit for the rest of the year, Burnie qualified fourth, Glenorchy beat the Bay at Queenborough and had to wait twenty minutes to see if Hobart beat New Norfolk at Boyer to see if they made the finals, which they did.
The TFL controversially played the match at North Hobart and not on the coast which enraged the whole NW coast.
Burnie got 39 points up late in the third quarter having lead the entire day only to see the Pies pump ten goals in the last quarter to get up and win a close one.
Burnie Hawks' playing coach, Michael Schulze played for Geelong in the '89 VFL Grand Final against Hawthorn and only coached that one season for Burnie, he was replaced by ex-Richmond player, Mark Lee.

The first game of the TSL

Just reminds me of how much enthusiasm there was leading into the reintroduction of a state league after an eight year hiatus.
Early on the football was a pretty good standard and a lot quicker and harder than the Premier League was in the years previous to this.
Both Glenorchy and Launceston had very good lineups as well here.
I can remember the week after this Hobart hosted Glenorchy at the TCA Ground in front of the biggest crowd at the ground since the club hosted New Norfolk in a Qualifying Final nine years before.
Long queues outside the main gates, ground painted up looking professional, signage on the fences, Hobart was returning to the traditional black and gold colours and Tigers emblem for the first time since 1997.
Put in an absolute stinker! Belted by 92 points first up.
Would've been considerably more than a 20 goal defeat had Glenorchy not kicked 3.13 (31) in the first quarter!
To this day I still believe the loss of the ABC broadcasts of TSL football was the beginning of the end for it.
No public or media interest in it any longer, kids aren't interested in it any longer, attendances are pitiful. A real shame.
Interesting that AFL Tasmania's Dominic Baker was interviewed there saying that AFL Tasmania were determined not to let the mistakes of the previous TFL Statewide League happen again (poor club and league management) and that is EXACTLY what ended up happening with the TSL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TSL 2009 Round 2 Clarence vs Glenorchy

That was a sign of things to come for the rest of the season in that game. I didn't realise Glenorchy had gotten out to such a lead and probably could've just about had the Roos on toast if they'd kicked straight.
Clarence kicked fifteen goals from about 19-20 minute mark of the third quarter til the final siren. Staggering turnaround in form!

1984 TANFL Midas League (Reserves) 1st Semi Final
North Hobart v Sandy Bay
at North Hobart Oval
Live Last Quarter coverage from TVT6
Commentators: Peter Sharp and Tony Morabito

1985 NWFU v TANFL Match - West Park, Burnie.
The famous match on Sunday, 9th June 1985 between the Coast and the South at a boggy West Park in Burnie which, after many years of discussions, was ultimately the catalyst for a fully implemented TFL Statewide League beginning the following season with the introduction of two NTFA sides and the further introduction of two clubs from the NWFU from 1987.
A crowd of 4,500 braved the poor weather to witness a North Western victory.

1st Quarter.

2nd Quarter.

3rd Quarter.

4th Quarter.

Last edited:
1985 North West Football Union Grand Final.
Penguin battle Smithton for the premiership title at West Park in Burnie.
The Saints went into the game as hot favourite having won their way into the big one in the Second Semi Final and having defeated the Two Blues four times during the season.
Penguin almost blew an eight goal lead in the final quarter of the Preliminary Final to hang on by 4 points to earn their Grand Final spot.
Both sides packed with legendary names in Coastal football, Penguin's Chris Reynolds, a journeyman full-forward that three years later would top the TFL Statewide League goalkicking table for Devonport in their TFL Premiership year, booted nine majors to fire the Two Blues to a 48 point victory after a hard-fought and tight first three and half quarters in front of a big crowd at West Park.

Penguin 21.9 (135) d Smithton 13.9 (87)
Attendance: 9,828 at West Park.

1st Half.

3rd Quarter.

4th Quarter.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back