TV Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

“When Scott Hall and Kevin Nash came in (WCW), we took off . Punk, you came in (AEW and you sh*t the bed, in terms of ratings. It ain’t there and there’s nothing in reality to suggest otherwise.” - Eric Bischoff (via 83 Weeks)

…and now you’re dead. Well done

“When Scott Hall and Kevin Nash came in (WCW), we took off . Punk, you came in (AEW and you sh*t the bed, in terms of ratings. It ain’t there and there’s nothing in reality to suggest otherwise.” - Eric Bischoff (via 83 Weeks)
He hasn’t been happy since they brought up the fact that WCW stuffed themselves by not creating and hanging onto the next generation.
AEW could do the same depending on how they book going forward but so far so good with the home grown.

Bischoff has a point but to be fair to Khan he started being really outspoken about the ratings only when WWE put Smackdown against Rampage.

And EB needs to stop with the 'until you make the choice to go head to head' bs. What 'choice' exists? AEW isn't owned by a TV company run by someone with an axe to grind with Vince like in his case. They're a start up company (allbeit well financially backed) and have their show on where Warner wants it.

Last edited:
And EB needs to stop with the 'until you make the choice to go head to head bs'. What 'choice' exists? The company isn't owned by a TV company run by someone with an axe to grind with Vince like in his case. They're a start up company (allbeit well financially backed) and have their show on where Warner wants it.

And that was stupid decision. Why would you canabilise each other by taking views away.

AEW and WWE can both survive and thrive on their respective nights

I don’t think so. I like having a slow build for Punk and a different route to Danielson.
There’s no harm in having him near the midcard while there’s so many in the main event seen at this stage. I’m sure he’ll eventually have a run near the top anyway.
When the momentum is gone and those whose interest was piqued by him have tuned back out. Should've struck while the iron was hot. Put him in a big-time program, had him cutting meaningful promos each week. I can understand the idea behind the slow-burn to him doing something, but it's a poor way to capitalise on him.

And there is room in the main event scene for him, and Danielson, because the guys in the main event can't do the numbers they potentially could. It's been proven. People aren't that interested in Omega, the Bucks and Hangman.

There's not an endless supply of ex-WWE names they can get to pop ratings. They need to start developing some hot programs if they really want to challenge WWE. The Tony being a good booker narrative is completely farcical nonsense peddled by Meltzer.

When the momentum is gone and those whose interest was piqued by him have tuned back out. Should've struck while the iron was hot. Put him in a big-time program, had him cutting meaningful promos each week. I can understand the idea behind the slow-burn to him doing something, but it's a poor way to capitalise on him.

And there is room in the main event scene for him, and Danielson, because the guys in the main event can't do the numbers they potentially could. It's been proven. People aren't that interested in Omega, the Bucks and Hangman.

There's not an endless supply of ex-WWE names they can get to pop ratings. They need to start developing some hot programs if they really want to challenge WWE. The Tony being a good booker narrative is completely farcical nonsense peddled by Meltzer.

On the money they had to go huge with Punk and Bryan straight away and did not. I couldn't see anyone from WWE outside of Cena, Brock and Roman that would have the impact Punk and Bryan did in terms of gaining viewers or a fan base. Maybe Rollins at a stretch but even if they got KO or Balor it wouldn't have anywhere near as much impact. Enjoyed Punks first match with Darby but everything else then has been flat? Sure pretty good matches in the ring but nothing screams out as MUST watch. Even with Danielson the Kenny match was amazing and now he's had some good matches with a few others but again nothing that screams out MUST watch to others outside of a small portion of hardcore fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the money they had to go huge with Punk and Bryan straight away and did not. I couldn't see anyone from WWE outside of Cena, Brock and Roman that would have the impact Punk and Bryan did in terms of gaining viewers or a fan base. Maybe Rollins at a stretch but even if they got KO or Balor it wouldn't have anywhere near as much impact. Enjoyed Punks first match with Darby but everything else then has been flat? Sure pretty good matches in the ring but nothing screams out as MUST watch. Even with Danielson the Kenny match was amazing and now he's had some good matches with a few others but again nothing that screams out MUST watch to others outside of a small portion of hardcore fans.
Punk hadn’t wrestled in 7 years and you want to go full on WWE booking and send the new guy straight to the top? Because that’s more important than all the other guys they’ve built up from scratch for the last 2 years? After Punk finishes his program with Bryan then what? The number of viewers who tuned in to see him return was never sustainable in the short term. I’m glad they’re going the slow build, long term booking is much more sustainable and produces much better quality of matches.

Punk hadn’t wrestled in 7 years and you want to go full on WWE booking and send the new guy straight to the top? Because that’s more important than all the other guys they’ve built up from scratch for the last 2 years? After Punk finishes his program with Bryan then what? The number of viewers who tuned in to see him return was never sustainable in the short term. I’m glad they’re going the slow build, long term booking is much more sustainable and produces much better quality of matches.

And not only that, with all the #### around of different days and times for Dynamite the potential growth from bigger matches or a more heated feud at the moment (and the last few weeks) is absolutely marginal or completely non existent. Look at what the last Dynamite did. Freaking half what they were on Wednesday overall and 18-49 and it was a better show than some of there 1 million plus editions. AEW will try to heat things back up for Punk and everyone else when it makes better sense to do so. And this is just about the last time they will be stuffed around like this and is why they are moving to TBS.

Last edited:

I’m also enjoying Punk’s quiet rise to the top. We all know that in the next 2 years, we will start to see some dream matches. There is no point in having these matches when he is still rusty after not wrestling for so long, as the quality just won’t be there. So I’m happy to wait, so we can see these matches, rather than rush into them now, where they won’t be as good as they ought to be.

My only concern is some of the younger guys, that he is currently wrestling, such as Darby and Hobbs, will not be elevated as they should be. I think OC winning clean over Hobbs was a mistake, A DQ finish would have worked much better for OC to go over. After being slightly elevated by having a match with Punk, he was quickly devalued by his loss to a joke character in OC. Hobbs has the potential to be an upper midcarder.

Punk’s match against Sydal was probably his best match for the company, his upcoming match against another seasoned midcarder in Bobby Fish should also be quite good, as Fish has the technical experience to help cover any ring rust Punk still has. A loss for Fish won’t hurt him, and it helps Punk get to a higher level that much quicker, so he can have classics with Omega, Danielson, Cole ect.

I think some people here have just been WWE conditionEd, where these so called legends come back and bury the current roster (Roman excluded) with their 2/3 moves for a cheap pop. So I’m glad that AEW is doing it differently.

Understand all your points and there is no doubt he is having great matches. All I was saying which is along the lines of what Konnan said was it feels like a waste. Punks return was a once in a lifetime thing with the buzz and hype around an anticipated return.

Wrestling fans that love the in ring quality watch AEW but the only way they will ever significantly grow is to get the WWE fans to tune in and watch because lets face it majority of wrestling fans grow up with WWE because for a long time its all that has been easily accessible.

Jericho and the Inner Circle, Miro, Omega/Cole and the Elite, MJF and the Pinnacle, Moxley, Danielson and even Christian , Black and Cody. He could have had programs/ storylines with this group over the stretch of 18 month period and that would have been the best chance of trying to get WWE fans to tune in and keep them coming back because you had to watch. Right now everything he is doing is fantastic in terms of the match quality but Bobby Fish etc is hardly going to scream at the fanbase that don't tune in every week to watch. No problems with wrestling those guys on DARK but keep it off Dynamite and Rampage.

I was in the boat of Punk, Danielson and Cole being just as huge as Hall and Nash departing WWF but there is no doubt the NWO created the buzz that got fans to switch over because the top drawing stories were hot. The WCW in ring action is not even a quater of the quality AEW puts out right now. They had the golden chance to start a fire with the amount of buzz after ALL In and it feels like it has really fizzled off. AEW wouldn't have fallen apart like WCW did in the long run they have a hugely talented roster and put on the highest quality of in ring action around but can't help but feel a missed opportunity where you have a guy gone for 7 years and everyone wondering when will he come back I don't think we will ever see that again.

Understand all your points and there is no doubt he is having great matches. All I was saying which is along the lines of what Konnan said was it feels like a waste. Punks return was a once in a lifetime thing with the buzz and hype around an anticipated return.

Wrestling fans that love the in ring quality watch AEW but the only way they will ever significantly grow is to get the WWE fans to tune in and watch because lets face it majority of wrestling fans grow up with WWE because for a long time its all that has been easily accessible.

Jericho and the Inner Circle, Miro, Omega/Cole and the Elite, MJF and the Pinnacle, Moxley, Danielson and even Christian , Black and Cody. He could have had programs/ storylines with this group over the stretch of 18 month period and that would have been the best chance of trying to get WWE fans to tune in and keep them coming back because you had to watch. Right now everything he is doing is fantastic in terms of the match quality but Bobby Fish etc is hardly going to scream at the fanbase that don't tune in every week to watch. No problems with wrestling those guys on DARK but keep it off Dynamite and Rampage.

I was in the boat of Punk, Danielson and Cole being just as huge as Hall and Nash departing WWF but there is no doubt the NWO created the buzz that got fans to switch over because the top drawing stories were hot. The WCW in ring action is not even a quater of the quality AEW puts out right now. They had the golden chance to start a fire with the amount of buzz after ALL In and it feels like it has really fizzled off. AEW wouldn't have fallen apart like WCW did in the long run they have a hugely talented roster and put on the highest quality of in ring action around but can't help but feel a missed opportunity where you have a guy gone for 7 years and everyone wondering when will he come back I don't think we will ever see that again.

I think I agree with everything except the bolded. 96 WCW had amazing cruiserweights and a great mix of wrestlers in the ring.

I think people are drawing a false premise that it's either 'slow build Punk vs no names" or "Punk straight to world title match and undercutting all other talent."

Why couldn't you have Punk vs MJF as his first feud? Build it as Punk is finally 'uncut' on the mic to get those new fans to stick around. Particularly after all that Pillman s**t talk,it could easily be an unmissable 'you never know what these two will say next!".

.40 to .47 this week. It's definitely been competitive since Punk and Bryan hit the scene, they just need a strong feud to push them over the edge.

Is it purely the move to Saturday nights have resulted in the drop of viewership upon the return of its normal time slot? Below the million again which would be concerning for them considering the top end quality they are putting on at the moment.

Is it purely the move to Saturday nights have resulted in the drop of viewership upon the return of its normal time slot? Below the million again which would be concerning for them considering the top end quality they are putting on at the moment.

Good to see people only post in this thread when AEW have a below standard TV rating.

Never change troll

TNT has moved Dynamite to 5pm Wednesday nights on the US West Coast due to NHL (which gets poor ratings but money talks I suppose), so that's going to reduce numbers. :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back