Consumer Electronics TV reception issue on some older digital TVs caused by CH 78?

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Late last week, my old-ish digital NEC tv got stuck on Ch 73, then Ch 7, and the screen sometimes goes on and off. I can't change channels at all. The picture sometimes freezes.

The buttons on the side on the tv don't work either, but they do on analog (even though stations are gone, they still change).

Me and 2 friends all bought the same tv (40" NEC NLT-40HDB2 flat screen digital) quite a few years ago (at least 6 or 7; I can't find the receipt), and we all have the same problem!!

All other inputs work (HDMI, AV, S-Video, etc), so the screen is fine.

Turning it on and off and unplugging for several minutes does nothing.

A repair guy reckons that the recent transmission of Ch 78 is causing it, but only on some older tvs

The tv won't do a digital channel re-scan.

The aerial and cable is fine. I switched it with another tv, plus the same aerial is plugged into my digital recorder, which is working.

The menu works, but it won't go to "station list".

The remote is fine.

I found this comment from a few years ago on another forum

"I scanned in the new digital channels last night on my 55" LCD Schaub Lorenz.
Then nothing. No digital channels , just stuck on channel 7 and a blank screen.
No worries; Schaub's have a 5 year warranty.
The tech guy at the distributor said that channel 7's new digital channel is corrutping the digital receiver, because they use Mpeg 4 while others are Mpeg 3, or something like that.
He also said that it only affects TVs older than about early 2011.

Has anyone heard of similar problems?

Thanks

Last edited:

This happened to me on Friday. Switched to 7 for the footy, and the remote and side buttons stopped working. Tried turning it off and on at the wall and nothing changed. Now when it powers up, it constantly switches itself off and on.

I can't remember how old the TV is, but its a cheapish Hisense.

This happened to me on Friday. Switched to 7 for the footy, and the remote and side buttons stopped working. Tried turning it off and on at the wall and nothing changed. Now when it powers up, it constantly switches itself off and on.

I can't remember how old the TV is, but its a cheapish Hisense.
Roughly how old is your tv?

I completely forgot about this thread :$

I managed to fix the problem, hope you had the same luck Registered User

The issue wasn't happening at all when I powered up the TV with the aerial unplugged. That let me change to another channel, where there were no issues even with the aerial plugged back in. And after a channel rescan, 7 is working fine again.

So, basically:
  • unplug aerial
  • turn TV on
  • change to any channel other than 7/7two/7mate
  • plug aerial in
  • rescan channels

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back