TV Rights

Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards
http://www.afr.com/business/sport/o...remier-league-from-fox-sports-20151101-gkocnf

Singtel-Optus has secured the Australian broadcast rights to English Premier League football in another blow to News Corporation's Fox Sports.

Optus chief executive Allen Lew has made good on his promise to "be in the game" with live sports rights by lodging a bumper $50 million-plus offer for the right to show the UK's most valuable sporting commodity for three years starting in the 2016-17 season.

It is understood the bid was significantly higher than the offer lodged by Fox Sports, which is the current EPL broadcaster, and also eclipsed interest by Qatar-owned beIN Sports.

"This is another significant step in our strategy to become a mobile-led multimedia company," Mr Allen said.

_____

Can't help but feel this is terrible for Football coverage in Australia.

Fox provides fantastic coverage. I'm on a few EPL forums, and they are all jealous of how good we get it here.

Other than the poor picture quality on "press red" it really is fantastic.

Means we are likely going to have to stream the games through Fetch which means more data, and an extra cost.

Furthermore, means we may not be able to watch games if WiFi is struggling?

Can't imagine Telstra allowing Optus to broadcast on Fox considering it owns 50% of Foxtel.

Happy it's stayed away from beIN though, there coverage this year of the UCL has been disgracefully poor.

GreyBudgie

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2008
New Town
Other Teams
Glenorchy, Arsenal,
Each passing month Foxtel seems to be less appealing to me will really have to weigh up if keeping it just for AFL coverage is worth it. So Optus might use Fetch TV as carrier? Better check them out

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards
Each passing month Foxtel seems to be less appealing to me will really have to way up if keeping it just for AFL coverage is worth it. So Optus migt use Fetch TV as carrier.

It's getting ridiculous cost wise, though.

Foxtel (I've got an extra box, so only pay $25 for HD IQ a month) $100?
Netflix $20 a month

Then I've just had a look at Fetch TV and you can only get it through Optus, dodo, iinet, westnet, adaminternet and Slimtel - and that then costs $15 a month on the starter pack. No doubt the EPL will be an add on as well.

What's annoying me even more is that they refuse to release details about how they are going to cover it.

It's getting ridiculous cost wise, though.

Foxtel (I've got an extra box, so only pay $25 for HD IQ a month) $100?
Netflix $20 a month

Then I've just had a look at Fetch TV and you can only get it through Optus, dodo, iinet, westnet, adaminternet and Slimtel - and that then costs $15 a month on the starter pack. No doubt the EPL will be an add on as well.

What's annoying me even more is that they refuse to release details about how they are going to cover it.
They won't release those details until they can start selling it.

Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards
Okay have started hassling them on Facey and Twitter to try and get some kind of response on how they plan to cover it.

I'm shitting myself that I'll no longer get Swansea games.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Hope for your sake it's like the coverage over here in NZ through a site called premierleaguepass.com

Can go on and watch whatever game you like either live or whenever you like with the same broadcast feed that Foxtel uses. Quality is not HD but it's still pretty good

elhadjihenry

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I thought this means Optus will on-sell the rights to the highest bidder, e.g. Foxtel
Quotes in the article seem to suggest that Optus are trying to break into the televised sports market, so I doubt it.

GreyBudgie

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2008
New Town
Other Teams
Glenorchy, Arsenal,
**** i cant believe you can only get fetch if you are with optus
well that some what limits there market share used to be able to get it through my ISP iinett but service is no longer available. If fetch want to grow they need too offer there pay tv to more than optus only. So Foxtel no Rugby league confirmed lost European Champions league and La Liga to beIN (and then have the cheek too charge you an extra $25.00 if you want this one extra channel)

Since Netflix and co become available you would think they FOXTEL would be fighting to keep there one advantage it has in SPORT for charging a ridiculous large fee. No wonder they never ever got more than 30% penetration into the Australian market. I wonder how much market share they have lost since Netflix etc. become available earlier this year, If it was not for Sport I would be out as well.

Talking about Foxtel see old Rupert getting his leg over with Jerry Hall I threw up a little in my mouth when I read that.

Last edited:

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
well that some what limits there market share used to be able to get it through my ISP iinett but service is no longer available. If fetch want to grow they need too offer there pay tv to more than optus only. So Foxtel no Rugby league confirmed lost European Champions league and other European Leagues to beIN (and then have the cheek too charge you an extra $25.00 if you want this one extra channel)

Since Netflix and co become available you think they be fighting to keep there one advantage foxtel has in SPORT for charging a ridiculous large fee (no wonder they never ever got more than 30% penetration into the Australian market) I wonder how much market share they lost since Netflix etc. If it was not for Sport I would be out as well.

Talking about Foxtel see old Rupert getting his leg over with Jerry Hall I threw up a little in my mouth when I read that.
Since I've become so used to it on my facebook I immediately just assumed that said Netflix and Chill.

Back